So whats up with the seat/backend of this bike?

More
24 Oct 2008 16:20 #243586 by Humboldt_Z
So I found this bike I am wanting to buy, But the seat area doesn't look like other kz650s I've seen. It almost looks like a cafe racer back end. From what I know Its stock, is this bike special or something? whats the deal?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2008 17:01 #243591 by jordan
i dunno if its special but it looks like one fine bike to me. I think it looks great, that bike is a perfect candidate for a sportbike swingarm and frontend swap like i have been bugging you about;) . A set of 810 pistons and gpz cams and you would have yourself one hell of a bike. Looks too nice to end up a chopper.

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

More
24 Oct 2008 17:02 #243592 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic So whats up with the seat/backend of this bike?
Nope, just a different model, there were three.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
24 Oct 2008 19:38 #243626 by Humboldt_Z
Replied by Humboldt_Z on topic So whats up with the seat/backend of this bike?
jordan wrote:

i dunno if its special but it looks like one fine bike to me. I think it looks great, that bike is a perfect candidate for a sportbike swingarm and frontend swap like i have been bugging you about;) . A set of 810 pistons and gpz cams and you would have yourself one hell of a bike. Looks too nice to end up a chopper.

Ya bro I pulled my head outta my ass and I will not be building a chopper at this time. I found this bike and I am really wanting it and I said the same thing "this is too nice to chop" I will be getting this very soon for very cheap! one thing at a time but I would like to do the swingarm conversion like you have been buggin me about! These bikes are beautiful as they are and to cut this on up would be tragic!

More
24 Oct 2008 19:40 #243627 by Humboldt_Z
KawiConvert wrote:

Nope, just a different model, there were three.

Sorry I'm a noob so I am allowed to ask dumb questions but, there were "three"? Three types of kz650s? I don't know the history of these bikes to know what you are reffering to. If you could point me in the direction of where to educagte myself that would be great. Education is a tool. I love to use tools!

More
24 Oct 2008 20:27 #243638 by Humboldt_Z
nevermind i just found the History parts on here %*$& noob!

More
24 Oct 2008 22:38 #243673 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic So whats up with the seat/backend of this bike?
Humboldt_Z wrote:

Sorry for the short reply, I was in a hurry, or I would have pointed you in the right direction. (And called you a "Billie" of course :laugh: ) Looks like a good bike, much better than the one I started out with. Those seem to lend themselves a little more to the cafe look than the SR (D) model kz650's. Its a shame the dual exhaust is gone. I am trying to find the longer dual exhaust and the 18" rear wheel for mine. The short pipes with 16" wheel achieve the quasi-cruiser look that kawi was going for and I'd prefer a slightly different look.

Anyways, good luck with the bike.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
24 Oct 2008 23:15 #243682 by Humboldt_Z
KawiConvert wrote:

Humboldt_Z wrote:

Sorry for the short reply, I was in a hurry, or I would have pointed you in the right direction. (And called you a "Billie" of course :laugh: ) Looks like a good bike, much better than the one I started out with. Those seem to lend themselves a little more to the cafe look than the SR (D) model kz650's. Its a shame the dual exhaust is gone. I am trying to find the longer dual exhaust and the 18" rear wheel for mine. The short pipes with 16" wheel achieve the quasi-cruiser look that kawi was going for and I'd prefer a slightly different look.

Anyways, good luck with the bike.

Well I never did figure out what kind of 650 this is. Could you tell me if you know?

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
25 Oct 2008 02:27 - 25 Oct 2008 02:28 #243685 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic So whats up with the seat/backend of this bike?
I'm not a KZ expert, but the seat looks like a Corbin Gunfighter (which aren't cheap btw). And yeah, that bike looks great just the way it is. But that's just my opinion.
And in my old school mind, if you're going to chop or bob something, it oughta be a V-twin, or a vertical twin, like a triumph, or Norton, or even an old Yamaha 650. Maybe it's just me, but I never did like inline four choppers.
But to each his own...
I gotta say though, one time I saw an old Kawi two stroke triple chopped, and that was just plain WRONG. :blink:
Last edit: 25 Oct 2008 02:28 by riverroad.

More
25 Oct 2008 03:24 #243687 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic So whats up with the seat/backend of this bike?
The frame number should be able to tell you what model your bike is (at least the frame). You can check it against the list on this page: models.kz650.info/index.htm .

You can find the frame number on the steering column.

More
25 Oct 2008 08:29 - 25 Oct 2008 08:30 #243729 by rstnick
Looks like a good find.
As mentioned the frame # will tell you the model.

Looks like it could be an F model, having the mag wheel with single disk brake up front.

Hard to see the seat/ass end from that picture, but the seat just may be stock but cut down in the drivers seat area.

Looks like a GPz front fender as well.

Got any more pix?

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 25 Oct 2008 08:30 by rstnick.

More
25 Oct 2008 08:31 #243730 by OnkelB
Unless it's pieced together from different models that is a 650 CSR.

The CSRs are the only 650s with leading front axle - if the wheels are stock it's an 83 H3, the rest of the CSRs had wire wheels.

Seat and exhaust is not stock for sure, paint probably isn't either, not quite sure about thath though. Like mentioned, if you can get hold of the frame number and the engine number we can find out excactly what it is.

Oh, and if it is indeed an H3 it's kinda special as the H3 and the F4 were the last of the 650s.

Here are a couple of links to some more info:

CLICK

CLICK

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.