New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!

More
11 Jun 2008 20:55 - 11 Jun 2008 20:56 #219513 by jp_goody
New KZ fan, Kansas City!!! was created by jp_goody
Hey guys. First bike EVER!!! 28 year old network tech. All this talk about people getting bikes everywhere for gas savings finally made my twin brother and I cave!!! (No, not for gas, just put it in our minds to much!!!) We have came so close to getting bikes soooo many times. Bad thing is Ive got a 20 mile commute on the freeway and will probally NEVER get to take her to work.

Its a 83 KZ550 LTD. Almost mint condition and deff has been garaged. 10k miles. She runs as is like a dream, just a few kinks and dry-roted tires to deal with. It came with quite the sissy bar/lugauge rack/back rest combo thing, i took that off right away. The only missing thing im aware of are the front blinkers. New tires, p-wires and handle bars will probally be all I do to her this summer.

My brother and I both decided to get old bikes, vintage somewhat, so we could have cheap but cool bikes to bomb around on. I dont know if mine is even close to the vintage category or not but I couldnt pass it up for 900 bucks. I assume its a national trend, but bikes here in KC, MO are going HIGH right now.

Last edit: 11 Jun 2008 20:56 by jp_goody.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
11 Jun 2008 21:12 #219515 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
Welcome to KZr jp.

That sure is a sharp looking 550 you have, and appears
to be all original including the paintjob - very rare
on a 20+ y/o bike. B)

So why aren't you planning on using your bike to commute?
It'll keep up with traffic no prob, and getting
roughly 50 miles per gallon sure won't hurt the wallet. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
11 Jun 2008 23:52 #219545 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
Welcome to the KZR Nation. That's a very good looking bike... well done. ;)

I'm with RRRR, 20 miles should not be a problem. When the weather is good in Montreal, I take mine to work. I tell my wife that its my 30 minute vacation going to work and another 30 minute vacation coming back... she get's it... you will too. :cheer:

Best of success! :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
12 Jun 2008 01:25 #219551 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
Welcome jp_goody! Nice bike you scored there! Last one of those I saw for sale was in Florida (five years ago) and the owner wanted US$2500 for it...I didn't buy it:laugh: :laugh:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
12 Jun 2008 02:35 #219554 by Qdude
Replied by Qdude on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
Free-way commute 25 miles one way. Lovin it.
Wont touch my car anymore.

My twin brother wont touch a bike.

77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
12 Jun 2008 07:48 #219596 by PFC FNG
Replied by PFC FNG on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
Welcome aboard. My little brother doesn't ride. I don't see any reason not to take your ride to work, I ride my GPZ 120+ miles every weekend for fun and around 20 miles (1 way) to work every morning.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
13 Jun 2008 18:51 #219898 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
Welcome, JP.

That is an excellent 550 you have. Good score!

As for the commute, I understand where you're coming from. City traffic can be a fright. I'd rather see someone have the good judgement not to jump in right away and instead build their confidence over time. Ride within your confidence level. In the mean time just bombing around the neighbor is great fun as well.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
13 Jun 2008 20:06 #219909 by EasyRider1
Replied by EasyRider1 on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
That bike is super clean! In my opinion you got a good deal on that bike because it needs so little.

1978 KZ650C

More
15 Jun 2008 14:29 #220191 by jp_goody
Replied by jp_goody on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
Thanks for the replies eveyone.
Yeah, Im just bombing around town for now, its a blast and very addicive.
Ridding the freeway is deff a scarry thought, im sure everone says this, but KC....has to have the worst hywy drivers around. I can already tell ridding to work is inevitable though, just need some new tires!!!
This am we rode (brother just got a 79 Honda CX550) with the wifes to breakfast and then over the river and into the river market for some produce and stumbled across a small vintage bike club meet, i cant believe we didnt get any pictures for you all. Anyway, we couldnt see over the bluff from in town, as we where leaving we thought it might rain, but when we crested the hill we found a HUGE menesing black storm front rolling in!!! By the time we made it to the bridge we could hardly keep a straight line and just missed the down poor pulling into my garage. LOL, we both admited right away we where scarred as sheet crossing the bridge, the missouri river is very wide there and well, probally the most windy place to be. The wives where not the happiest..hehe. It was almost our first run in with rough weather on the bikes, if it had caught us theres no way we couldve rode through it. We'll have to keep a closser eye on the weather for now on, the storms in the m-west are no joke this year.

More
16 Jun 2008 13:47 #220354 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
Real pretty bike, ya got a good dealB) IMO, ya got a better bike than your brother. Took me awhile to do the Interstate thing in rush-hour also. Go @ your own pace but drive like everyone in a cage is out to deliberately kill you.:angry: If a storm is rolling in, an overpass is your best friend. It's amazing how much fun setting out a storm under an overpass w/your bike buds. Even alone it can be refreshing to watch the rain.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
17 Jun 2008 09:54 #220498 by jp_goody
Replied by jp_goody on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
You couldnt be more right, Ive already had to ride the curb once to avoid becoming a hood ournament!!! The guy was just looking down and i the middle of the road, he saw me and locked them up in shock!! Eh well.

Hers a better pic of the bike.
[img] [img]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn112/jp_goody/5-13-08035.jpg[/img] [img] And the Brasky, Booo, honda. [img] [img]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn112/jp_goody/5-13-08051.jpg[/img] [img]

More
17 Jun 2008 11:14 #220505 by patmann
Replied by patmann on topic New KZ fan, Kansas City!!!
One SHARP bike!! And a nice price too;)
Welcome aboard.
Pat

1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?