KZ750 LTD - Looking at getting one and need opinions please

• vespertillio
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2008 08:27 #219119 by vespertillio
Hey all,

Newbie here and am looking at getting one of these. I recently completed the MSF course and was wondering if you folks think this would be a good starter bike. I'm 6'0 around 165 and 40 years young.

I've found one locally that's selling for $1500. I just called and left a message on it but wanted to get a world opinion lol.

Here is what they say which isn't much (I'm not sure what year it is):
New Tires, Brakes, Fork Seals and Plugs 15K miles.

I'll try to post the pic.

Anyway, I'm a total newbie and not a mechanic by any means, but willing to dive in and learn.

Do you folks thinks this may be a good first bike? That and if I do go see it, what should I look for.

Thanks for your time and consideration with my quest for a first bike.

Fred
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2008 10:01 - 10 Jun 2008 10:09 #219137 by OKC_Kent
Looks like my 83, but the seat is different, (still a Kawasaki seat though).

Not a bad bike to learn on, and plenty of power and comfort if you decide to start carrying passengers or make long hi-way trips later on.. If it's in real good shape the price is about right, but try to get it cheaper, no harm in asking.

Here is a link to a pretty exhaustive checklist.
www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Do you have any friends into bikes that can check it out with you? It's nice to have two sets of eyes and ears when you're looking at used machines.

By the way, I'm 6'1" and find the stock handlebars on these LTD machines all wrong, and you may keep that in mind when you try her on for size. Handlebars are easy to switch to something more comfortable after you buy it.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles
Last edit: 10 Jun 2008 10:09 by OKC_Kent.

More
10 Jun 2008 13:09 #219167 by Link14
Hey Fred,

Agree with Kent, it's a little pricey but if it has all of those new items and runs well...it would be ok. It would probably be worth the money to gradually work your way into tinkering with the bike and not have to dive right into a mess.

That's either a 1980 or 1981 with that seat. Good luck and if you do buy it, please get some closer pics of the sissy bar luggage rack. That's just what I'm looking for!

• vespertillio
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2008 13:15 #219170 by vespertillio
Kent and Link,

Thank you very much for the replies and suggestions. Spo far the folks have not called me yet so who knows lol. I do have a buddy who can look with me but our schedules usually don't mix. Hopefully I will hear from these people. Though I do have some leads on a 600 Shawdow a buddy is looking into and a 1982 v45 Sabre for 1500 as well. Any thoughts? (Though maybe I shouldn't be asking that on the KZ forum) :)

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
10 Jun 2008 15:36 #219196 by KOOL RYDER
the v45 sabre is a nice bike. Depending on the shape I think I would go for the sabre over the ltd on looks, but to each his own. I like the cafe looking KZ's rather than the chopper style ones, but that is my opinion.

Just be happy with what you buy. Just remember that KZrider is a cool place to learn about your KZ.

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
More
10 Jun 2008 15:53 #219201 by PFC FNG
The price on the saber seems a little high unless it is mint. If you plan on keeping your starter bike for a while and dont mind a little extra wrenching I would pick up the KZ. The 750 will provide you with the little extra power for freeway use but not so much as to overwhelm, I test rode a V45 and was less than impressed with the feel. The shadows tend to need about the same amount work as a KZ. I started with a 650 and thought it was too small and underpowered, but I am also a slightly larger rider.

I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

More
10 Jun 2008 17:39 #219221 by kztee
Looks identical to my '80 KZ 750 LTD. After a couple changes (especially those nasty mini-apes) I love my bike. Decent power and very reliable. Mine has over 40k miles and only thing I did was replace a coil recently.

Link14, I have a very similar back rest with luggage rack that I may be willing to part with. I can take some pics if you'd like.

1977 KZ 1000A - Currently rebuilding
1980 KZ 750 LTD - Mostly stock daily rider
1979 KZ 1000 LTD - Parts bike and/or future project
1979 KZ 1000 ST
1980 GS 750 L
2003 ZRX 1200 R