Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 14 May 2016 14:31 #726407

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
I regularly dragged the pegs on my nearly stock 1000. There was this one freeway on ramp that I took daily, I would drag the right peg every time there wasn't a car in front of me slowing me down. Part of the reason I tore it apart was to get more ride height and make some trick rear sets. Its really not hard to find the limit of these bikes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 14 May 2016 16:04 #726412

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Kawasakikid wrote: GSXR Swingarm for me. Ground clearance is an issue if you pick up fat chicks in the trailer park. Seriously though, I am real close in tight turns but I run a firmer but not uncomfortable preload and dampening on front and back. I catch flack once in a while however Kzs aren't known for peg dragging anyway so slammed to the ground isn't an issue.

?????????? Now you tell me! I've dragged both footpegs, the centerstand tang, and even the right side muffler cover on my stock KZ650-C1 with S&W shocks set pretty stiff. Dragged them so much I replaced all but the center stand (which I could just paint)! Maybe you could try either buying stickier tires or stepping up the pace if you've never dragged the footpegs on a KZ. B) :laugh: :laugh: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 14 May 2016 18:11 #726431

• Kawasakikid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Well let me spell out to you and couple other sentence beaters. Regardless of how you ride, they are not known for that kind of riding. They are known more for their high speed wobbles. I've owned mine for 40 years and if it can be done on it, I have done it. So don't get your panties in a bunch because part of sentence included a fact that doesn't pertain to you and your skills.

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 14 May 2016 18:20 #726435

• Kawasakikid
  • User
Well I call B.S. on that one! lol. You'd be low siding before you can drag your 650 muffler. Maybe you have a concussion from your crash trying to do that. Like I told DoctoRot, just because you can do it doesn't mean that they are known for it. You pick a line out of a conversation I was having and cry foul. Lighten up, I've owned mine since '76 brand new and have put 98,000 miles, drag raced it and to California and back on it so if your trying to tell me how to ride it you're talking to someone that would put you in a ditch trying to keep up. Lighten up junior.

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 14 May 2016 18:26 #726438

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Oh come off it man, the fact is the bike HAS a racing heritage, the 650/900/1000 and Later ELR all do, as do the H1/H2 etc that are 'world reknown' for tank slappers and ending people's lives, just as the newer crotch rocket types do.

Fact is quality control in the pre-computer age was a turd, and if you have those problems, that's what you got, a turd, or too little riding skill and too much throttle for the bike. Every one of these kzs that I have picked up that was a 'death trap' had shit tires on it, a worn out chain, a bent frame, loose parts or was simple just welded askew from the factory. We are talking 'muscle bikes' here not a cruiser type. BUT I will whole geartedly agree, chucking the stocker parts, stepping up to USD forks (zx9 give ALMOST stock dimensions and clearance) and modern rubber can make a world of difference. But so can proper maintenance and replacing worn out parts.
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 14 May 2016 20:03 #726464

• Kawasakikid
  • User
Come off what? What's your point? It only has a racing heritage because it was the fastest thing on the street back then not because it handled. What else were you going to race? The motor "technology" far out performed the frame and it still does no matter what you do to it.

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 14 May 2016 20:32 #726466

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Kawasakikid wrote: Well I call B.S. on that one! lol. You'd be low siding before you can drag your 650 muffler. Maybe you have a concussion from your crash trying to do that. Like I told DoctoRot, just because you can do it doesn't mean that they are known for it. You pick a line out of a conversation I was having and cry foul. Lighten up, I've owned mine since '76 brand new and have put 98,000 miles, drag raced it and to California and back on it so if your trying to tell me how to ride it you're talking to someone that would put you in a ditch trying to keep up. Lighten up junior.

Grab your glasses and read my post again. I did NOT say I dragged the muffler; I dragged the muffler cover. It's the little chrome piece that covers the connection between the header and muffler; look at a parts diagram if you are still confused. I can post a picture of the light scarring on the one I replaced if you really think I'm BS'ing, and my 1977 KZ650 has never been down (I'm the original owner). I'm sure you think it's impossible to do, and I was surprised when it happened, but it happened. I was running Michelin tires with PZ2 compound along with the S&W's at the time - a nice sticky combination. By the way, while some of the larger displacement bikes did have problems with wobbles the KZ650 family never did. Kawasaki learned a lot from the earlier KZ900's before developing the KZ650's.

I did not read any posts in which anyone was telling you how to ride. I'm sure you are the fastest rider ever to throw a leg of the saddle of a KZ and that Eddie Lawson hides when you come on the track, although it seems remarkable if you have never dragged a KZ footpeg - but that may be unfair since maybe that's not what your comment meant. As far as riding since 1976 - that's nice but by no means a record. I'm no record holder either, but I bought my first BSA in early 1965 and have never been without a bike since, so you can lighten up too - junior. ;) Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 14 May 2016 21:47 #726478

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2627
I did things on my Z1 in my terrible twenties I would never do now. Nothing to prove anymore. B)
Steve

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 14 May 2016 23:11 #726483

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Ed you got a sarcastic wit that makes that reply amazing.
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 15 May 2016 01:30 #726490

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Not to distract from the handbag swinging going on but,getting back to the ground clearance thing

Kawasakikid wrote: GSXR Swingarm for me. Ground clearance is an issue if you pick up fat chicks in the trailer park. Seriously though, I am real close in tight turns but I run a firmer but not uncomfortable preload and dampening on front and back. I catch flack once in a while however Kzs aren't known for peg dragging anyway so slammed to the ground isn't an issue.

Kawsakikid, Im not so worried about peg dragging and Im not planning on picking up any fat chicks from trailer parks ,or anywhere else,( Im building a mono seat bike for now) what worries me is with the dive of the bike under heavy breaking and potholes and ramps.Things like that.Looking at your photo,your bike look pretty low.Have you had any problems there?
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 15 May 2016 03:21 #726493

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
whoa! so much angst here. I was simply pointing out its simply not difficult to drag the pegs. why did it have to get so personal? Everybody has different priorities in how they ride. show, go, or cruise everybody is in it for different reasons. Personally, I like to scare the crap outta myself on a regular basis.

77 KZ1000 stock to modern fork swap 15 May 2016 07:31 #726517

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

davido wrote: Not to distract from the handbag swinging going on but,getting back to the ground clearance thing

Kawsakikid, Im not so worried about peg dragging and Im not planning on picking up any fat chicks from trailer parks ,or anywhere else,( Im building a mono seat bike for now) what worries me is with the dive of the bike under heavy breaking and potholes and ramps.Things like that.Looking at your photo,your bike look pretty low.Have you had any problems there?

David,
My bike is in the weeds with the GSXR 750 front end. I am going to change it to a GSXR 1100 front end to gain another 1 1/2 inches. Now I have a reasonable drop on the custom triple my brother and I are designing. Should have the 3D model of it shortly.
In regards to your question, I currently only scrap on right handers if I dip to much. Speed bumps are a major issue.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic.