Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

HID headlight 16 Nov 2015 14:55 #698995

• rstnick
  • rstnick's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI installed an HID head light, and some of the LED gauge lights this past Spring.
Hoping to save some power.
I have installed a voltmeter in the past to monitor my bike's voltage, as I sometimes used driving lights that do put a drain on the battery.
Hoping adding these low power hungry options will give me more power when I want to use the extra lights at night.

For the HID conversion, you will need a headlight that accepts replaceable H4 type bulbs, which I have already installed years ago with an H4 Halogen light.
The HID kit, wired together, then just plugs into the KZ's harness:

I bought my HID light off ebay, $20:
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by rstnick.

HID headlight 16 Nov 2015 14:57 #698996

• rstnick
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI rode for the first time at night, and the HID light is great.
Anything reflective lights up super bright.
It lights up the area in front of the bike well, with a large, almost rectangular beam pattern, as wide as the two lane road I was on.
Switching to high beam moved the beam out further and wider.

The light truly is amazing.

I had an H4 Halogen in before that, and a stock sealed beam too, and neither compared to the level of illumination of the HID.

The main reason for me in getting this light was the brighter bulb with less power required.
I fitted a volt meter to my bike a few years back as I was having a drain when using an extra set of driving lights.
With the HID light while riding, the voltmeter, which is digital, reads a volt or more higher than with the H4 Halogen.
The VM has been reading high 13s while riding.
I stopped for gas, and when I restarted, I noticed the VM start at 11.90, and start climbing as I took off.
It kept climbing by single digits until high 13,90s again, then stayed there.

It does not turn on all the time, and I need to switch to high then back to low for it to come on, so have to look into why it's doing that.

Have checked into this some more.
I noticed this the other day, when I could see my reflection in a window.
When I turned the bike on, the headlight came on.
When I hit the electric start button, the light went out.
I automatically switched to high beam, light came on, switch back to low, all good.

I spoke to Pablo/Z650Spirit about this, who put me onto this HID conversion, and he asked if I wired the headlight with a relay directly to the battery?
No, I did not.
With the drain in power when using elec start, it cuts out the light, and wiring the light with relay and fuse directly to the battery power should solve the light going out issue.

There is a relay kit available for $8 that will fit the $20 HID I used.
Link in a moment...

This relay and wiring will replace the little black box and wiring in the bottom center of this picture:

Rob
CANADA

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

HID headlight 16 Nov 2015 15:00 #698998

• rstnick
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI wired in the HID relay.
Have had the HID light going out when electric staring the bike, just the drop in voltage cut out the light.
Switching to high beam, then back to low beam, brings the light back on, but Pablo suggested using a relay and running a wire directly from the battery.
The light is still working, and stays on when using the electric start.

Here is the relay and wiring as received.
It is for a car/truck, so has hook ups for two headlights.
The wires on one side were actually shorter than in the picture below, then a long set to reach the other headlight.
I cut off the long set of wires, and sealed them.

There is a ton of wiring to hide, and I know Pablo managed on his stock KZ650 B1.
Me, I was able to put most inside the fairing.

Ebay link for relay:
Rob
CANADA

2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

HID headlight 16 Nov 2015 15:02 #698999

• rstnick
  • User
My bike on the right in this picture, with the HID light:

Rob
CANADA

2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

HID headlight 16 Nov 2015 15:11 #699000

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI installed one two weeks ago. The low beam didn't work. They sent me the relay kit for free. It hooks directly to the battery with a fuse in the line. I have a volt meter too. It did save me a little power but not as much as I'd hoped. It produces better light and what I like about it, it has a shade of blue even though I ordered the white. I can tell it gets more attention from the cagers. It stands out so I feel a little safer. Still you will have these idiots that will try to beat you and turn left.
35 W as opposed to 55 W is a savings but LED might have been better.
Steve

• Page: