Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ZX help?? WTF 03 Oct 2015 13:11 #693179

• Richardb98
  • Richardb98's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys I have a non kz question so yell at me if ya want but I've looked an a BUNCH of ZX specific pages and they're mostly idots. So here's what I'm working with I'd like to think myself pretty mechanically inclined with older bikes, but I've picked up a 94 zx-6 and I've found I'm pretty out of my league. So I got it after sitting for 6 years and did all the boring stuff bikes need after sitting for so long, and now the problem is I'm not spark from Either coil. I noticed I got 3-5 sparks for a second then nothing ever since. New AGM battery as well. And I found a couple wires that I can't find where they belong. One is a black/yellow and a white/yellow in a T formation. I've been looking and have no idea where this goes. I found a black/red one that appears to have a fuse looking thing in it and the bike won't crank without it. The other wires are White/blue and black/yellow and are back by the battery. Any help is much appreciated

Attachment image-14.jpg not found

Attachment image-15.jpg not found

Attachment image-16.jpg not found

Attachment image-17.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ZX help?? WTF 03 Oct 2015 13:31 #693183

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Did you bother to buy a manual?
Steve

ZX help?? WTF 03 Oct 2015 13:55 #693186

• Richardb98
  • User
I did, it's in route from eBay lol that along with 200$ worth of other parts

ZX help?? WTF 04 Oct 2015 10:00 #693284

• Richardb98
  • User
Update: couple of ZX guys told me that the blue/black wires are for extra things,lights,warmers, Ect Ect and they either told me the same thing or said they didn't know about the T shaped plug. And today I came to the conclusion that my coils aren't receiving enough power in the first place. I put my toungue on the -/+ of each coil and I barely tasted anything. That was pretty dumb I know but I don't have a voltometer and I'm getting frustrated

ZX help?? WTF 04 Oct 2015 13:07 #693313

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
T-plug. There's a rectifier listed in the chassis electrical equipment diagrams at Partzilla. 21061-1003 RECTIFIER

I don't know what it does or how it's wired on the ZX600. The wiring diagram for the EN500 shows 2 rectifiers: one wired to the neutral switch & starter lockout switch, and another for the water temperature sensor. The wiring diagram shows a diode symbol on the rectifiers.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

ZX help?? WTF 04 Oct 2015 16:41 #693356

• Richardb98
  • User
Thank you now I at least have an idea of what to look for. My main problem I found after a couple hours in the garage today is that a wire to my rectifier got fried. I'll show a picture, but could this be caused by that missing piece or from the wrong battery? When I first started cranking it I had a battery from my 1100 plugged up and it's substantially bigger. I'll still have to do more digging on that topic and I'll have to check out partzilla as well.

Attachment image-18.jpg not found

Attachments:

ZX help?? WTF 05 Oct 2015 02:49 #693385

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
What color is the wire at the burned terminal?

T-plug rectifier (diode). I don't think the thing has anything to do with the charging system. It may function as a diode device, possibly to protect the junction box or switches/sensors. ??? The Haynes manual shows a diode symbol within the rectifier. A diode allows current to flow in one direction, but blocks the flow in the other direction --- the resistance should test low one way but at least 10 times as high when you swap the multimeter leads. I don't know that much about it.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

ZX help?? WTF 05 Oct 2015 03:08 #693390

• Richardb98
  • User
I'm at work right now but of memory it was the black/yellow lead

ZX help?? WTF 05 Oct 2015 03:25 #693392

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Black yellow is your main ground, you can remove the terminals (press the latch down and withdraw terminals) and re-crimp a new terminal on the damaged one or just buy a new block connector.

A bad connection generates heat due to the high resistance and increased current due to volt drop, which may explain why it burnt out.

The zx models did have diodes, unlike the earlier twin shocks. I can't remember what they are for.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

ZX help?? WTF 05 Oct 2015 04:36 #693400

• Richardb98
  • User
I've got a new rectifier on the way. And you reckon that black bit is a diode?

Last edit: by Richardb98.

ZX help?? WTF 06 Oct 2015 07:27 #693564

• jackleberry
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

Richardb98 wrote: Update: couple of ZX guys told me that the blue/black wires are for extra things,lights,warmers, Ect Ect and they either told me the same thing or said they didn't know about the T shaped plug. And today I came to the conclusion that my coils aren't receiving enough power in the first place. I put my toungue on the -/+ of each coil and I barely tasted anything. That was pretty dumb I know but I don't have a voltometer and I'm getting frustrated

Using one of the many 12V light bulbs you must have on that bike as a circuit tester would have been less stupid.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

ZX help?? WTF 06 Oct 2015 07:29 #693565

• jackleberry
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

Richardb98 wrote: I've got a new rectifier on the way. And you reckon that black bit is a diode?

Make sure you clean/tighten the main ground between the battery and the engine, as a failure there can cause the kind of wire burning you had at the R/R.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

• Page: