Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 06:27 #660115

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
I suspect the three phase system is for accessories. I noted that with the Z1/KZ series. The Z1 had a 14/AH battery and the KZ 900 had a 10/AH. Same charging system. You might be better off with the 3 phase as long as the wiring is correct and all the components are still there.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 07:15 #660118

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
I would probably try to do the swap, because I'm more familiar w the 650-CSR. :laugh:
The parts will be a tad newer & most if not all 4-cyl models after 1980 had the 3 phase charging system, so finding replacement parts might be easier. ???

Edit: see later replies by Patton. The taper on the crankshaft end might be different, so the 82 rotor may not fit right & you may not be able to use the newer charging system on the 78.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 07:29 #660120

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The problem is with the switching of the loom and all the components. Are the coils compatible etc? Things in different places? Different connectors and color codes? Alternator and cover have to be changed out?
Might be too big a project for some.
Steve

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 09:01 #660121

• skooterbum4real
  • skooterbum4real's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm not able to check compatibility of parts from one bike to the other right now, as my bikes are currently 25 miles away. Yes that is a concern that I was hoping could be answered here ??

As far as being able to swap out the parts, that's not an issue for me. I'm just trying to find out before hand, if this project is going to work with the parts bike and donor bike I have. I'm a retired metal fabricator, and if I have to fab specialty parts for this, that's not a problem either. I've built a handful of custom bikes over the years, and have made wire looms from scratch. I'm certainly not an expert at doing any of this, I just have experience with it, and am not afraid to tackle it.
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 09:39 #660124

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
Regardless of whichever alt you use , as long as it is in good condition and charging correctly it will be capable of running either the points or electronic ignition.
If the newer 3 phase alt rotor fits the crank and you have all the relevant parts then logic would be to fit the newer and less worn system but I wouldn't bother just for the sake of it if your original system charges as it should.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 10:22 #660126

• skooterbum4real
  • User
The 78, the bike I'm restoring to ride able condition, has sat for over 15 years, and has 8,500 miles on it. Having sat for so long wouldn't have any effect on the charging system would it ??
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 10:27 #660127

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I wouldn't think so. How is it charging?
Steve

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 10:38 #660129

• skooterbum4real
  • User
I have only had it running at a ruff idle, as the carbs need cleaned horribly bad. So I have no charging history as yet.
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 10:46 #660130

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
One thing at a time. You'll get there.
Steve

This is what I started with three years ago.
Attachments:

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 11:07 #660131

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Sweet !! What have you done to it, and what year is it ?? That has to be a rush riding on the long open roads !!

I picked my 78 up last summer. It had been left behind in a county tax auction. The guy I purchased it from had it setting in his barn for over 15 years. He did nothing with the bike, until he was getting ready to move. I got it on the cheap. I just got the bonded title for it last week. I'm getting geared up to tear into it this spring. I've got a lot of items gathered up for it already, and am trying to learn everything I can about it now, to be ready for the nice weather......
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 12:46 #660137

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470

skooterbum4real wrote: The 78, the bike I'm restoring to ride able condition, has sat for over 15 years, and has 8,500 miles on it. Having sat for so long wouldn't have any effect on the charging system would it ??

At 8.500 miles that motor is barely broke in and the only issue with being sat so long is the possibility of corrosion on the electrical connectors depending on how well the bike was stored.
Obviously if it had been sat outside for 15 years it could be scrap but dry stored there shouldn't be an issue with most electrical components.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: skooterbum4real

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 14:02 #660145

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

skooterbum4real wrote: Sweet !! What have you done to it, and what year is it ?? That has to be a rush riding on the long open roads !!

I picked my 78 up last summer. It had been left behind in a county tax auction. The guy I purchased it from had it setting in his barn for over 15 years. He did nothing with the bike, until he was getting ready to move. I got it on the cheap. I just got the bonded title for it last week. I'm getting geared up to tear into it this spring. I've got a lot of items gathered up for it already, and am trying to learn everything I can about it now, to be ready for the nice weather......

It's a 75 Z1. It sat under a tree for 15 years. Everything was tired. I'm in the desert so rust wasn't too bad. I'd start it up once in a while but no money. I painted the tank and side covers, then the tail. Started on polishing everything and painted the frame, calipers etc. Finally I had some money to spend on it. The DMV got $517. They wanted $666, I told them Fk no. I won't jinx this thing before I get it back on the road. I paid the new reg two months later. I bought all the cam componets, chain, bearings and tore into it. One piston was shot. Cast so no replacement was available. Another $500. I bought wheel bearings front and back, new signals(duel element), new front fender ($250), new seat, new grab bar, used rear fender from the old kaw man $45, transmission (eBay), All and all about $2500. I'm sure it's a lot more by now.

Attachment Bossieandthegirls.jpg not found

New parts from Z1E and z1partsinc. Used from eBay. On going project. When she was down all those years, I'd hear and see bikes going down Dillon road. MAN I've got to get my bike back on the road. Single parent, NO WAY. Now I'm a grandpa. Kayla says Bossie's awesome. They live 1.5 hours away in the high desert. I get to ride there once or twice a month. One day maybe soon, I can just point my head light and go. North or south, it doesn't matter. BTW, when I'm riding along in 5th and a crotch rocket comes along, blips his throttle, I drop down into 2nd and grab a hand full and bang back up through the gears. Now you have to catch me. One guy caught up to me and just shook his head. Didn't expect it from an old bike. It's all good.
Steve