Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

First Ride with a Few Questions ??? 20 May 2016 06:15 #727575

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Am uncertain about current models of Triumph and BSA, but earlier year models for several years came from the factory with engine crankcase oil vent tubes routed from the engine along the rear fender to exit behind the bike.
(I don't recall how Norton may have addressed this aspect.)

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First Ride with a Few Questions ??? 20 May 2016 09:37 #727605

• drmiller100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

kzdcw wrote: S
And K&N Dual Pod Air Filters, haven't even oiled at all. Definitely not pink in color as if ever oiled.

might as well not run anything at all or a piece of window screen.

bike that old, the oil "evaporated" off the filters. It needs some.

as for the residue, there is "stuff" on the boots, there is stuff down the intakes, there is stuff in the carbs. the carbs "spit back" just a tiny bit as the engine idles and runs, and you get reverse intake pulses carrying small amounts of gasoline vapor back out into the pods. This is normal.
The gas will "loosen" carbon and "stuff" and it settles in new places, and gets burned down the engine.
If you want to be depressed, remove the carbs, stick your fingers down the intake, and you will find more "stuff". Just carbon, burns fine, hurts nothing.

Last edit: by drmiller100.

First Ride with a Few Questions ??? 20 May 2016 12:19 #727622

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
My initial thought was filter element oil too but since that isn't it; motor oil seems only option.
I haven't read the whole back story so i dunno if this is an option but:
I've read up on stock airbox vs pods and in technical descriptions of carburetor ops, they spoke of how each carb creates a momentary "pulse" on the intake side. It seems the carb's air pressure reverses for a split second during transition of valves etc.
Seems logical then, oil from valve stem seals or wearing piston rings could end up being "blown" out into the pods where it could condense.
If so, then it may just be as simple as valve stem seals being just on edge of wear limit. Sitting, not running, they aren't leaking so no smoke on start up but while running a wee bit of oil is finding it's way into head above combustion chamber & being sucked into or blown out from...

Just a thought. Assumes a lot including heads were not rebuilt but if it's oil then where else can it come from under current breather design?

First Ride with a Few Questions ??? 20 May 2016 19:12 #727679

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
Drmiller100 and Wrenchmonkey, Both with good information and may be Normal. Again, bike hasn't ran in nearly 30 years and was rode for the First Time for about 20 min. Look forward in riding it much longer ( I'll have more gas then ) and watch how the motor reacts with more additional run time.

I wouldn't be surprised valve stem seals and rings would be in order at the least when taking in consideration an engine rebuild.

Think I'm going to take a compression check again now the bike is being ridden . Might give me a better indication on what's going on.

Appreciate all of your insight !!!
77' KZ1000A

Last edit: by kzdcw.
  • Page: