Leaking from multiple overflow tubes

• Merlinsbeard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Oct 2014 12:33 #651687 by Merlinsbeard
Leaking from multiple overflow tubes was created by Merlinsbeard
I have a 1979 kz650 b3. I set the fuel levels in all four carbs, and set them in a level position with the petcock in the prime position. After about 6 hours, two of the over flow tubes will start to leak. When i had each float out i inspected the needle valves and the seats; they all seemed fine save for one. Is it possible that the questionable seat/needle is leaking ever so slightly, and filling the neighboring carb via the tubes at the front base of the bowl?
Also, z1 doesn't seem to have needle valves and seats for my year. Does anyone know if they are compatible with any other year? or where to find them?

thanks

1979 KZ650 B3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2014 13:50 #651689 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Leaking from multiple overflow tubes
Merlin,

Do you have the part number for the float valve assembly? If so, please post it, and we may be able to help you find one.

In a different forum you mentioned you had set the fuel level with the bike on the side stand.

I HIGHLY recommend you buy a Kawasaki Service Manual. It contains all the info you need to maintain your bike including how to properly set the fuel level. I don't know who may have told you to set it with the bike on the side stand, but consider this - the fuel height is critical to the engine running not only when idling but also while you are actually riding the motorcycle. So the fuel height must be set when the bike is oriented as when riding. Setting it with the bike on the side stand means the fuel level in the carbs you measure from the left side will be too low when upright, and the carbs you measure from the right side will be too high when upright. Please do yourself a big favor and get the manual. No one has ever regretted buying one. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
25 Oct 2014 14:18 #651694 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Leaking from multiple overflow tubes
If the needles are all metal, you can put them in a hand drill and polish the tapered tip part until dead smooth with 400 and 600 sandpaper and a popsicle stick. The inner surfaces of the brass seats can also be spin polished with a Q tip and chrome polish. If those mating surfaces are smooth and free of pits, they will seal tight and won't leak. You do have to set the fuel levels correctly using clear tube on center stand or held level.

If not already done: the tank and petcock must be cleaned and all rust removed and then inline filters installed. If there is any dirt or rust in the tank it will just keep flowing downhill and fouling the carbs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Merlinsbeard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Oct 2014 17:01 #651705 by Merlinsbeard
Replied by Merlinsbeard on topic Leaking from multiple overflow tubes
My mistake ed,

I didn't word my post correctly. I did set the heights with the carbs dead level. I then set them in a soft vice at the angle that the bike sits at on side stand, just to check for leaks. I was trying to determine whether it was an issue with cracks in the bowls or overflow tubes.

However. Today, i set them level again and left the tank on prime for a while. They still leaked after a while. So. i took all the bowls off, set them upside down on the bench with the floats still attached to put just gravity pressure on the needles, and turned the prime back on. Two of the seats welled up just slightly, and leak even when applying pressure to each. So I think I need some needles and seats.

The only site i can find that even has part diagrams for the 79' is partzilla. They list the sets as 16030-1001 and have them in stock. But are these parts reliable? I have read that sometimes these come from Taiwan and aren't very good quality. Also $136 for 4 of them HOLY SHIT is that right? Would it be cheaper to buy rebuild kits?

1979 KZ650 B3

• Merlinsbeard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Oct 2014 17:18 #651708 by Merlinsbeard
Replied by Merlinsbeard on topic Leaking from multiple overflow tubes
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI found these on ebay.

Kits like this make me nervous because they're giving me four full kits for $50 and partzilla wants $136 just for the valves and seats.

Any advice or testimonials is much appreciated.

Also, bounty, i'll give that a shot, what have i got to lose!? lol.

1979 KZ650 B3

More
25 Oct 2014 17:55 - 25 Oct 2014 17:56 #651714 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Leaking from multiple overflow tubes
I would clean them first. If they still leak here are the genuine Kawasaki (Mikuni) float valves for $24 each. Ed

www.nwvintagecycleparts.com/search-resul...earch.x=8&search.y=9

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 25 Oct 2014 17:56 by 650ed.

More
25 Oct 2014 18:11 #651717 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Leaking from multiple overflow tubes
I wouldn't pay 136 dollars for just the needle seats, NO WAY... Kits that contain the needle seats and other parts sure to come in handy can be had for less than that...... 50 dollars for 4 kits seems to be at the other end of the spectrum, I'm thinking I paid around 40-45 dollars each x 4 and had some extra parts to put in the for future use bin :)

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
25 Oct 2014 18:18 #651719 by ezrider714
Merlin although the link you provided seems to indicate 4 kits, :blink: I believe that the price shown is only for a kit to do only 1 carb..... could be wrong but have never seen a kit for 4 carbs for that price :unsure:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
Dyna Coils

More
25 Oct 2014 18:36 #651720 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Leaking from multiple overflow tubes
Tap on bottem of float bowls thenthrow a big can of sea foam in the tank and ride the wheels off of it to see if it clears up. :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
25 Oct 2014 18:43 - 25 Oct 2014 18:44 #651722 by ezrider714
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere's a link to the exact kits i purchased from this seller, seems like the price is half of what I remembered,(old age will do that) was very satisfied with this kit, as I bought another 1 to do a carb rebuild on another bike... Sure beats 96.00 for just the needle seats and valves.....

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
Dyna Coils
Last edit: 25 Oct 2014 18:44 by ezrider714. Reason: forgot to put in link

More
25 Oct 2014 20:45 #651733 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Leaking from multiple overflow tubes

Merlinsbeard wrote:
Also, bounty, i'll give that a shot, what have i got to lose!? lol.

If they are not surface pitted from rust, you can get them to seal. If they can't be smoothed out, then you have to get new needles.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Oct 2014 08:00 #651757 by SWest