Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bad valve seats? 09 Sep 2016 13:19 #741718

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107

TexasKZ wrote:

Kray-Z wrote: If you are on a budget - get the Motion Pro carb sticks. They are good enough for the average home mechanic; I've had a set for nearly thirty five years and used them on everything from twins to CBX's. Just don't let the engine suck up any mercury......

The new ones do not use mercury. Thank the EPA.

Next they will ban a certain brand of outboard boat motor because it has to much "Mercury" in it.... :angry:
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bad valve seats? 09 Sep 2016 15:03 #741723

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
:lol: :woohoo:

Bad valve seats? 16 Sep 2016 10:02 #742496

• Cyrussaurusrex
  • Cyrussaurusrex's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • "Just remember to have fun with it"
  • Thank you received: 0
(Professor Farnsworth voice) Good news everyone! Mostly...
So since the holiday weekend up until today i've ordered the carbtune and the colortune from the UK, am almost saved up for a good chunk of parts (tach cable, plugs/wires and those expensive green dyna coils) and have taken carbs apart although not off-rack for a thorough double cleaning. After everything was said and done turns out a lot of the problem for the 4th cylinder is what I suspected before which was no gas being sprayed. Retested fuel levels and set jets to 112.5 main and 17.5 pilot due to having pods and 4 to 1 exhaust. And so far cyl 4 now is getting gas, although it's still running rich and has some pops coming from the 4th carb hole if you listen closely. My grandfather suspects the valve or valve seat which I think are known to need changing on these bikes. More specifically the intake valve/seat.
My next plan of action: Perform a leakdown test (see if it indicates anything specific)
1978 KZ1000
20K miles
The fun isn't riding the thing, it's getting it to be road worthy that's the exciting part!..Kinda

Bad valve seats? 16 Sep 2016 10:53 #742506

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Valves adjusted. The seats generally don't go bad unless the valves are neglected.
Steve

Bad valve seats? 16 Sep 2016 18:50 #742565

• Cyrussaurusrex
  • User
Did the leak down test, all cylinders have a percentage of right around 22%. Was researching and can't really find if that's acceptable or not. An important note is when the 4th cal was tested it read 24% and when pressurized you could hear a very faint hiss coming form inside the oil filler hole. My grandfather said it was leaking past the rings, I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means :unsure: Double checked the cam lobe gaps today again (misplaced the paper that I wrote them down on from last time) all within spec, but with that being said, one of the cylinders' exhaust valves was right at .14. I know the max is .15 but it seems to be alright for now. (Or would you guys say it warrants adjusting them all?) If not i'll leave it and tune everything once I get the tank back on and tools delivered. Also took the timing cover off to double check and noticed the timing mark was firing slightly off of the "perfect" mark, so readjusted that and loosened the air mixture screws 3 turns from lightly seated and it sounds/runs much better. No blue smoke coming out either which was a huge plus in my book.
Next plan of action: Wait for tuning tools to arrive!...Hopefully not perform a piston ring replacement for all 4.
1978 KZ1000
20K miles
The fun isn't riding the thing, it's getting it to be road worthy that's the exciting part!..Kinda

Bad valve seats? 30 Sep 2016 21:30 #744088

• Cyrussaurusrex
  • User
Hey all, update on what's been going on: So the carbtune/colortune came and the bike went through both adjustments to where all carbs were within 2cmHg of each other and the air mixtures were right on point. It ran beautifully for a bit so I decided to take it on a small trip (about 30 mins). After getting back home I turned the bike off and rested a sec from the excitement, but as I turned it back on it surged up to 3k rpm and wouldn't come back down, so I turned off the bike and the overflow on carb #3 spit about a 1/4 cup of gas out. Confused I waited a bit and tried again to let it idle, and this time it was normal fora bit, then random pops would occur and if revved up it would sometimes backfire notably loudly, then after a while go back up to 3k rpm and I'd turn it off if it didn't come back down. Another weird thing was after turning the key on shortly after turning it off, carb #3 would puff a little out like it just fired. Not sure what the heck is going on but some other KZ owners in my area told me to check the carb for clogs and also to adjust the throttle cables.

So far I took the ignition plate off and clean/lubed the springs within (reset the timing to perfect), and took the carbs apart to check for clogs. I found a little fleck of metal inside the #2 carb needle seat but everything else was clear so I blew everything out thoroughly and reassembled but it still is happening. I'm in the middle of adjusting the throttle cables and after that I was going to check the cam chain tension/position, perhaps it is off a tooth? Any suggestions as to what it might be?
1978 KZ1000
20K miles

Bad valve seats? 30 Sep 2016 21:43 #744089

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Points sparking?
Steve

Bad valve seats? 01 Oct 2016 03:35 #744100

• Kray-Z
  • User
Here is my guesstamate:

You have rust or other debris in the fuel tank that is getting into the carbs. Right now it sounds like you have at least one, maybe more, carbs that are flooding intermittently. You need to install a pair of (preferably serviceable) inline filters in series in the fuel line from the tank to the carbs, then start over with cleaning the carbs, and re-setting them again. This time, you should try to get the synchronization within 1 cm of Hg....2 cm is not good enough. In fact, I aim for nothing more than 1/2 cm of Hg when I tune carbs. After that, if you are still having problems, check your spark plugs and see how the mixtures are set and tune out individual problems with the idle mixture adjustment, of course assuming you started with all carbs set at the same baseline settings (jets, needles, screws, etc.) and synched to within 1/2 cm Hg.

Good luck, happy wrenching!
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

Bad valve seats? 01 Oct 2016 05:54 #744119

• Cyrussaurusrex
  • User
Thanks guys, will start in an hour and get it done hopefully today. As for points this bike had the Dyna ignition installed and I set that back to right on the mark so that's no issue. But i'll clean them again and install the filters. I purchased a brand new petcock straight from Z1Enterprises so I figured the sock filter that it has on it was fine enough to block any debris entering the line but still it'll be good to have a double-sure inline one. :)
1978 KZ1000
20K miles

Bad valve seats? 01 Oct 2016 05:59 #744120

• Kray-Z
  • User

Cyrussaurusrex wrote: I purchased a brand new petcock straight from Z1Enterprises so I figured the sock filter that it has on it was fine enough to block any debris entering the line but still it'll be good to have a double-sure inline one. :)

Nope - I also found out the hard way that the stock Kawasaki fuel tap filter is not fine enough to trap rust particles.....

Bad valve seats? 01 Oct 2016 06:35 #744130

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Bad valve seats? 01 Oct 2016 07:38 #744143

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The Dyna S is set at full advance. You can get these filters at any dirt bike or bike shop.
Steve

Attachments: