Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

clutch release 04 May 2016 07:33 #724480

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
I was thinking the outside pressure plate is warped or worn lopsided. Mine was. I have a extra one if you need it.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

clutch release 04 May 2016 18:18 #724606

• kaw-a-holic
  • kaw-a-holic's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
I will have to get the straight edge out and check them.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

clutch release 05 May 2016 10:10 #724740

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
One other factor I've come across on the 550's is the sharpness of the edge of the plates. Notice one side is rounded, and the other is sharp, due to them being stamped out. I found by flipping the plates a certain way I could get them to release better. (But then you can end up with an issue where the clutch does not grab quite as quickly either.

The manual also says to make sure the clutch hub doesn't have a lot of grooves worn in from the plates. I buffed them with some really fine grit paper.

The biggest difference for me was when I hit the sharp edges of the plate teeth with a wire wheel to smooth them slightly. That way the clutch seems to fully grab better, and fully release better.

Don't hit the mating surface with the wire wheel, though. That can make it harder to release.

I'm not sure if the 1000 uses the same type of plate configuration. If not ignore this post.
Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.

clutch release 05 May 2016 10:14 #724743

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

Nessism wrote: Those "extra plate" clutch packs damage your aluminum clutch basket and cause grooves to form at an accelerated rate because the ears that fit into the notches in the basket are thinner than stock. Once the notches form the clutch won't release cleanly with the lever pulled in. That's another thing to look at when you open up the clutch.

+1

clutch release 05 May 2016 10:14 #724744

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

650ed wrote: I suggest you use genuine Kawasaki friction plates If you can find them. They work perfectly well. Ed

+1

clutch release 05 May 2016 16:57 #724792

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
My extra plate clutch has been a pleasure since installed many, many years ago .
With ZERO problems or coincidental damage to any other parts of the drive system.
Results will vary 2cts
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Page: