Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Clutch actuator mod 13 Aug 2016 12:54 #738541

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2635
Well got back home. It's HOT. At least I can hang out on my couch and have my office with A/C. Up there we can't smoke in the house so we have to hang out in the smoking room. No A/C just a fan plus I have to sit in a chair at a old fashioned desk I gave to my daughter. Hurts my back after a while and the HP laptop is giving me fits. I was responding to a thread and it deleted the page and started a new one. I hate that thing. Before anyone starts carping at me on smoking, I'll point out I refrain from pointing out the things I don't like about some of our members so I'l ask this, don't go there. We're al different, that's what makes this site so great. B)
The cam was in the mailbox, so I'll check it out and post it here or my Good Guys thread.
The clutch works very well with the 15T sprocket. Feels like I can spin the tire in second. :evil: The last 20 miles is wide open on the 10 and the average speed is over 90. I was in the #2 lane and people were passing me. Head Temp held at 165, holding at 14v, oil pressure was at 12 psi. One thing though. yesterday I developed a exhaust leak as I got off the 15 just before the grade. Must have been all the revving I was doing checking the power out. :dry: This morning I tightened #3 a little more and it almost went away completely. Once it got hot, it was quiet. I have new ones here so that's what I'll be doing in the morning. I'll clean up the V/H while I'm at it. Been three years. :whistle:
I used clear paint on the area that's gold in color. I'll have to stripp it and use clear engine paint I have now. A friend told me the reason it turns gold is too much nickel in the cheap chrome. $450 isn't cheap but I guess the chrome is. :dry:
Good to be home. B)
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch actuator mod 13 Aug 2016 16:08 #738569

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Can't wait to take some clips. Hopefully the sound will be better. If not, I'm back in business anyway.
Steve

Clutch actuator mod 15 Aug 2016 22:00 #738827

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Sorta think we should start a new thread Steve, as we rather hijacked this one.... LOL

Regardless, tonight, I just put my brand new 15/35 sprockets on with my brand new 94 link, 630-SO chain!
Zero test miles yet as I am repacking my Denco header collector tonight too ....
and is this crazy ass old bitch, with the 1075cc 10.25:1 pistons is loud as Hell with out the baffle in!!! :ohmy:

Anyhow, my axle adjuster notches are right at about the 4th groove/notch from the fiont, or the marks on the swing arm that would be in front of the axle.
That seems to put the axle a little further back then I remember with a new chain.... the old 630-SO chain and rear sprocket are both scary worn out so there is no use in comparing the two.
Which leads me to the next question, I wonder if I should drag the grinder and chain breaker out to take the other two links off in order to pull the axle further forward?
Also, does anyone "break-in" their new chain?
A rather spirited debate with my riding buddies as been on going since I told them I was doing it tonight,
I say not really, but I'd check it after the first ride for slack and I'm in that "more slack is better then too tight" group of back yard mechanics... ;)
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

Clutch actuator mod 16 Aug 2016 06:06 #738842

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Being this is my thread, I don't mind if it goes off topic a little. I'd take out the two links and make it 92. With my 16T I was at the beginning of the adjustment. After 1350 miles, I still didn't need to adjust it but put on the 15T. Plenty of adjustment room to go. This is what I wanted in 13 but the 15 year NOS O ring chain was dried out and developed kinks, then the Chinese chain GANK, running standard chains (2) until I could get a new set up. The standard chain I had to adjust constantly and was noisey. A little loose is better than tight. Besides, if tight the sprockets will wear faster, Lovin my O ring chain. I'll get a pic of my old sprockets in a hour or so.
Pics of your Denco set up?
Syeve

Clutch actuator mod 16 Aug 2016 11:40 #738891

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Pics of the old sprockets. Could have used three of them but with a new O ring chain, that would have been stupid.
Steve

Attachments:

Clutch actuator mod 16 Aug 2016 19:42 #738973

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member

Hmmmm.... I might leave the 94 in case I want to try the 16 counter shaft sprocket.
Just need to smash those locking tabs back down and reinstall the chain guard to try it out.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
Attachments:

Clutch actuator mod 16 Aug 2016 19:50 #738975

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I had a 16T on mine and it was near the starting point with 92 links. You're almost to the end. Nice sprocket. Too bad it has to get dirty. :S
Steve

Clutch actuator mod 16 Feb 2018 07:42 #778856

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Glad I opened it up.
Steve

Clutch actuator mod 16 Feb 2018 08:43 #778864

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Thanks for the vid!

That's some hard desert-duty for that Kz. The clutch-play changing with throttle is an interesting symptom. I don't think the 550's have the kind of torque necessary to crack the friction disk like that, so I've never seen that problem.

Were those factory disks, or aftermarket? I have some aftermarket disks where the base metal was thinner than stock, even though the overall thickness was the same. I used them briefly but they slipped a lot so I went back to stock disks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Clutch actuator mod 16 Feb 2018 09:08 #778867

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
They were stock. First time for this. Turns out the cable is sticking too. Glad I looked.
Steve

Clutch actuator mod 16 Feb 2018 20:17 #778896

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
Had mine feel sticky... then it started fraying up at the lever, barrel end. Had to replace it. 42,000 miles!!
Did you get your tach sorted out?
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1

Clutch actuator mod 16 Feb 2018 20:58 #778898

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Tach's working good. Maybe a little off but good for now. Clutch is working again as well.
Steve