Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 06:17 #683580

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624

blink543 wrote: How many jets does each carb have?

Carb parts. main jet. pilot jet. The main jet is screwed into a bleeder pipe which has an o-ring. And of course there's a float & float needle valve. Also, there might be a pilot adjusting screw w a nylon cap on the underside of the carb body, but maybe not. Once the bowls are removed, it should be pretty obvious whether or not the plastic caps are there. Kawasaki.com.

Model identification. KZ650.Info or jarlef z650 . Kawasaki.com.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 07:42 #683589

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2626
If you have a manual no matter what it is, do you have the capacity to understand what it is telling you? When I first started wrenching on my 350 Honda 40+ years ago, I didn't understand what and why they were leading me down this path when all I wanted to know is one thing. :angry: Naturally I wanted to get the bike going and was impatient and didn't want to spend money on things I didn't need. :huh: I was 18. My mother suggested her new husband come over to help. (Engineer) :lol: He was more confused and knew less that I did. :dry: I found everyone had a suggestion but in the end, it was me, my money and my bike. Lot's of bad advice, scraped knuckles, yelling curses and broken parts later, it was on the road. In this case it turned out to be bad diaphragms in the carbs ($200). :whistle: I didn't need to pull the head (as they said), and all that went with that. I made every mistake (just about) you CAN make on that poor little bike. :S I dropped a valve because I bent one and kept running it "to see if it would clear"(so they said) and guess what? It was me, my money and my bike alone. My fault for listing to jerks with a opinion :pinch: . After three years and I don't know how much money, the bike was running and looking like new. There wasn't one part my hands hadn't touched. I sold it to a Honda dealer in exchange for a king and queen seat cover meant for a 750 to put on my Z1. $150. :( That bike sat in their show room on display.
The manual was a Climer. $10. Shop manual for the bike, $40. Cost in time, money, aggravation and grief, priceless. ;)
Good thing about it all, I didn't make nearly as many mistakes with my new Z! as I did on the Honda. B) This year will make it 40 since I bought it new. :woohoo:
Steve

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 13:11 #683626

• blink543
  • blink543's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2

martin_csr wrote:

blink543 wrote: How many jets does each carb have?

Preliminary stuff. not necessarily critical or anything, but could be handy to know .There is some variance in the VM24 carburetors from year to year, even within a model year, especially for the 77 & maybe the 78 650s. I don't think your carbs have an accelerator pump --- easily recognized by the #2 float bowl being different from the others. Kawasaki.com.

You've listed the bike as the 1978 650B. There was a B2 & B2A for 78, so you may need to figure out one it is, since the carburetors might have slight differences. but maybe not. KZ650.Info or jarlef z650 . Kawasaki.com.

Carb parts. main jet. pilot jet. The main jet is screwed into a bleeder pipe which has an o-ring. And of course there's a float & float needle valve. Also, there might be a pilot adjusting screw w a nylon cap on the underside of the carb body, but maybe not. Once the bowls are removed, it should be pretty obvious whether or not the plastic cap is there. Kawasaki.com.

I was already familiar with the carburetor parts from referencing the diagrams beforehand, and I had removed the float bowls a couple of times already before doing a complete cleaning. I did not bother using the manual --- I'd go nuts going back n forth to check every little thing. The disassembly & reassembly is fairly straight forward: part A has to be removed before B. and B before C. and so on & so forth. and vice versa.

1979 KZ650 carburetors w/ accelerator pump. The 78 carbs will be similar, but probably not identical.

thanks. if i wanted to soak my carbs what would u suggest? they say certain solutions eat at rubber o rings and stuff.....or should i just try to keep them together and clear up the junk inside by hand?
Adam james

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 13:33 #683631

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
That mostly depends on how bad they are. If they are really clogged and corroded, then the best way to insure that they get perfectly clean is to completely disassemble them and put all the metal bits in an ultrasonic cleaner with commercial grade cleaning fluid.
If they are in pretty decent shape, you can use a spray can or two of carb cleaner with the little straw attached. Run a really small stainless wire through all of the tiny passageways and jets, spray the carb cleaner through them all, being careful to insure that it comes out ALL the places it should. Blow everything out with compressed air and reassemble. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES! Carb cleaner can do permanent damage to your eyeballs.

Either way, if all those orings and such are not almost new and in perfect order, they should be removed and replaced anyway.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 13:45 #683632

• blink543
  • User

TexasKZ wrote: That mostly depends on how bad they are. If they are really clogged and corroded, then the best way to insure that they get perfectly clean is to completely disassemble them and put all the metal bits in an ultrasonic cleaner with commercial grade cleaning fluid.
If they are in pretty decent shape, you can use a spray can or two of carb cleaner with the little straw attached. Run a really small stainless wire through all of the tiny passageways and jets, spray the carb cleaner through them all, being careful to insure that it comes out ALL the places it should. Blow everything out with compressed air and reassemble. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES! Carb cleaner can do permanent damage to your eyeballs.

Either way, if all those orings and such are not almost new and in perfect order, they should be removed and replaced anyway.

what kind of commercial cleaner? name please?
Adam james

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 14:04 #683634

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The thing runs. If you chose to clean them take pics and post them as you go. Did you read my carb thread? Normally you don't have to take them completely apart.
Steve

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 14:16 #683636

• blink543
  • User

swest wrote: The thing runs. If you chose to clean them take pics and post them as you go. Did you read my carb thread? Normally you don't have to take them completely apart.
Steve

yeah i did read it. im thinking of opening them up because it isnt running like it should. like i said its hesitating. somethings gotta be blocked. i can rip the throttle wide open and it takes seconds for the engine to ramp up and match the throttle position. And the idle screw wont stay in place...probably because i lubed it with grease. probably shouldnt have done that. i dont think it was meant to be greased at all.
Adam james

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 14:19 #683637

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Bad diaphragms. They cost a lot of money. No cleaning will fix them.
Steve

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 16:03 #683646

• blink543
  • User
I just noticed I saw flame come out of the pipe when I revved it so it's backfiring
Adam james

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 16:18 #683647

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265

cjaldous wrote: +infinity 650ed

If you go here: www.zedrider.co.uk/service--owners-manuals.html
You can find this: www.dropbox.com/s/ielbey7s4nwqc96/Z650%2...Service%20Manual.pdf

That's the 650B Kawasaki Service manual. From your front brake location, I think you have a B2?
There are going to be some inconsequential changes from the B1. (someone else please confirm?)
Also, the parts diagram on that zedrider page, or here: jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/z650files.htm are so useful when searching for parts.

A outstanding website for info ......... and no diaphragms on these Steve.

The reason Clymer and Haynes manuals aren't good enough is because they transcribe and interpret from the original manual or other sources. There are going to be more mistakes, transcription errors, and hand-waving in an aftermarket manuals. They try and simplify things that are already simple, and end up leaving out important information (ie like that there's an acceptable valve clearance range and not a single correct number.)

Sorry for all of this to sound like you're being beaten up, but the manual is really helpful, and it really is the right "tool" for the bike.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 17:31 #683663

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
If I remember correctly by a pic he finally provided, he has CV carbs. I'll check again.
Steve

acceleration hesitation 31 Jul 2015 17:41 #683664

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
You're right they aren't CV carbs. My mistake. :blush:
Steve