Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 03 May 2015 12:24 #670507

• dnaj11
  • dnaj11's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
OK, so I quieted some noises on this bike. Had bad exhaust leaks and a loose magnet in the rotor, that's all fixed. Also popped the top to look at the valves and cam chain, and I dropped the pan to clean the sump. Found nothing wrong. Trying to isolate this remaining gear whine, the high pitched whine on the video, just does not go away. Now sounds like its the gears in the primary drive. Bike does drive like stink, and that's good! Its a 1982 with unknown mileage and history.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dnaj11. Reason: added year and mileage

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 03 May 2015 13:34 #670510

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Don't run it. It sounds like the starting gear spinning the starter. To did something with the magnets? You may have no clearance. Try taking the spacer out and see if it goes away.
Steve

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 03 May 2015 14:38 #670518

• dnaj11
  • User
That's what I first thought, but I replaced the rotor with an OEM new one from Kawasaki, and it turns freely by hand in one direction, and locks up the flywheel in the other, just like it is supposed to. I could run it w/o the starter cover, but I'd guess it may look OK, well actually one cant see much into the starter with the over off and the engine running, but by touch, it does NOT feel like the starter is spinning with the engine going, starter feels quiet with the engine running, no vibration, for as much as that is worth. Any way to check that? Noise seems to be coming from the primary drive, but I don't know.. Direct drive gears perhaps? No chain there? BTW: this is not a whine that was introduced by the new rotor, its actually much quieter now with the new stator. The old one has a magnet which had come loose. I think I was chasing multiple noises, which is why I asked. Is this normal with unknown mileage on the engine?

Last edit: by dnaj11.

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 03 May 2015 15:25 #670524

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
NO. Take a broom handle or long screw driver, put it next to your ear and go point by point around the motor and look where it is the loudest. You have a direct drive gear from the clutch to the crank shaft. That could be loose. If it is, pull the cover, undo all the clutch springs evenly, pull out the plates and see if the nut has come loose. Some moron may have been in there and didn't tighten the nut enough.
Let us know what you find.
Steve

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 03 May 2015 16:52 #670536

• dnaj11
  • User
OK, I have 52 year old ears but it definitely sounds louder on the clutch starter side. Is it possible that the rollers in the starter clutch are worn, and while they catch by hand turning the flywheel by hand, they give out under pressure from the engine running, Can that be? I do hear loud whining in the starter and clutch side but less so in the other side. Did anyone ever experience this because I have not. Thanks

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 03 May 2015 20:01 #670574

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Yeah. I put in a old Z2 rotor I've had laying around for years. It did the same thing. I took out the copper thrust washer and it stopped spinning the starter. There is a large spacer behind the starter clutch drive gear up against the engine. They come in different thicknesses. That could be the problem. First try removing the copper washer to see if it quiets down. Tell us what happens.
Steve

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 04 May 2015 17:54 #670704

• dnaj11
  • User
I will do.

The Clymer manual makes note of three available thicknesses for the thrust washer, the one that's paired next to the damper. The other one between the clutch assembly and starter gear is a "spacer" but my "spacer" appears to be thick copper, which does not seem right to me. There is an indentation in the back of the clutch assembly for a thin washer, but not a thick one. I wonder if its the right one or someone threw something in there. The parts book on the other hand, shows three different available thicknesses for the damper but only one size for the thrust washer. I when I get that far, I'll look at the markings on the thrust washer/damper/spacer and do a better job feeling for drag/play to get the adjustment right.

I have taken the pinion gear out. Tomorrow a friend and I will bump start the bike. I expect the noise will go away, which will confirm the starter side. Then I'll pull the washer and look at the pairing. .

The Kawasaki service manual says . . . that if the clutch housing or rollers are worn, the starter gear may not fully disengage/engage. That language is missing from Clymer book.

Also I believe a prior 'mechanic" had greatly over-torqued the rotor bolt. Removing it required so much force that it mushroomed the end of my hardened Kawasaki official tool. It took awhile to get off. I did not use an impact. Guessing the prior "mechanic" did.

Last edit: by dnaj11.

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 04 May 2015 19:32 #670714

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
You can shave that plastic thrush washer if you need to.
Steve

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 05 May 2015 09:55 #670761

• dnaj11
  • User
Well I pulled out the starter pinion gear, which completely isolates the starter. We bump started the bike and the noise . . . is still there! Stumped

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 05 May 2015 12:53 #670778

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Did you check the clutch?
Steve

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 05 May 2015 17:57 #670802

• dnaj11
  • User
I will do that next and post the results and/or questions. Hoping its in the clutch basket and not the input shaft!

Is this normal gear whine for an old KZ1000 Police 05 May 2015 19:27 #670819

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Do you have any metal filings in the pan?
Steve

• Page: