Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Split head gasket vs. a 1 pc. gasket 12 Apr 2015 00:25 #667594

• elkbuster
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

PLUMMEN wrote: The copper gaskets are made to be used with o ringed cylinders,theyll leak like a sieve other wise. ;)
I definitely prefer the 1 piece.

How do you know if you have an O-ring cylinder?
1980 KZ 1000 C3
N CENTRAL WA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Split head gasket vs. a 1 pc. gasket 12 Apr 2015 02:13 #667596

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

elkbuster wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote: The copper gaskets are made to be used with o ringed cylinders,theyll leak like a sieve other wise. ;)

Only know if you pull the head and gaskets to see if there is a larger diameter groove in the cylinder block, between the 2 and 3 piston where the O ring would go.
I am trying the one piece this time myself. After a few of these O rings and leaks after a few thousand miles, I'm going to go the other way now.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

Split head gasket vs. a 1 pc. gasket 12 Apr 2015 04:18 #667597

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1471

elkbuster wrote:

'O' ringing - Commonly known as PIANO WIRING. a shallow groove is machined in to each liner top into which a thin wire is pressed
This wire is left proud of the surface so that it bites in to the copper gasket to create a superior seal.
See the attached pic .

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Attachments:

Last edit: by zed1015.

Split head gasket vs. a 1 pc. gasket 12 Apr 2015 17:57 #667703

• bluej58
  • bluej58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
I missed your post, I have a 78 kz1000 ( bike ) that I swapped out engines last year with a 77 (engine) after rebuilding the bottom half.
I ended up getting the Liska gears and bought them straight from Liska ,www.liskas.com/ good people and very fast delivery out of New Jersey
Z1E was back ordered.

Larry C did the head This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., I can't say enough good about the guy, a true professional that does beautiful work, he has been a huge help with tips on assembly and start up procedures,
And now he is working on a fresh valve to replace the one I bent trying to change the shim using the bat wing. :pinch:

I bought a NOS o ring off of ebay but it came all bent and twisted out of shape and would not sit in the groove so I decided to use the one that came with the Vesrah top end kit , I added a little Ultra black RTV in the groove first and when I took the head back off the o-ring is still in place and looks good.

I went with the 77 jugs that only had around 30,000 miles on them and measured out much better then the 78 with close to 70,000 on it.
I did my own honing with a 320sc ball hone using a big drill running at 450rpm and did 40 - 1 second reps per cylinder and I am very pleased with the results, sorry no good pics with my shitty phone/camera.

I even shaved 3.7 grams off of the inside of # 3 piston, now they are all within 0.2grams of each other, close enough.

Not much left to do
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

Split head gasket vs. a 1 pc. gasket 12 Apr 2015 19:18 #667729

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2633
How did you bend a valve with the bat wing?
Steve

Split head gasket vs. a 1 pc. gasket 12 Apr 2015 20:01 #667733

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Am thinking it doesn't matter whether using a bat-wing, or factory tool, or tie-wraps -- having both valves open at the same time in the same cylinder invites contact by the valves with each other.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Split head gasket vs. a 1 pc. gasket 13 Apr 2015 03:51 #667760

• bluej58
  • bluej58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511

Patton wrote: Am thinking it doesn't matter whether using a bat-wing, or factory tool, or tie-wraps -- having both valves open at the same time in the same cylinder invites contact by the valves with each other.

Good Fortune! :)

Live and learn :whistle:
78 KZ1000 A2A

• Page: