Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 08:15 #644876

• KzHeadach
  • KzHeadach's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I finally got my bike running great through trial and error. I decided to change the oil and after doing so, now it wont start at all... I tried various throttle and choak positions with no luck. after reading up a bit I realized that I didnt use motorcycle specific oil.... that being said, how screwd am I and whats it going to take to fix this? Im at a loss here and am in the process of pulling out what little hair I have left... thanks in advance for all the advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 08:33 #644879

• bluezbike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
If your bike didn't start, then none or little of the oil you put in will have circulated .......drain it out and put the right stuff in (must have JASO MA on the description) As to getting it to start, the problem lies elsewhere.....post a bunch of info on what you have done/checked, original symptoms etc so you can get some useful information back. In general to get a motor to work you need 3 things....fuel, spark, and spark at the right time......good luck
79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 08:36 #644880

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
bluezbike +1

Also, how much oil did you drain out and how much oil did you put in? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 09:17 #644883

• KzHeadach
  • User
I drained out just over 2.5 liters and it calls for 2.9 liters so I flushed the system, by that I mean filled it half way and started it which it started just fine, ran it for a couple seconds and shut it off. Then I drained it again and filled it with 2.9 liters of fresh pennzoil 10w-40... now it wont start at all. Nothing has been tampered with except for the drain plug and fill plug between the time that I had it running perfectly and now...

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 09:18 #644884

• KzHeadach
  • User
I drained out just over 2.5 liters and it calls for 2.9 liters so I flushed the system, by that I mean filled it half way and started it which it started just fine, ran it for a couple seconds and shut it off. Then I drained it again and filled it with 2.9 liters of fresh pennzoil 10w-40... now it wont start at all. Nothing has been tampered with except for the drain plug and fill plug between the time that I had it running perfectly and now...

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 09:28 #644885

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103

KzHeadach wrote: I drained out just over 2.5 liters and it calls for 2.9 liters so I flushed the system, by that I mean filled it half way and started it which it started just fine, ran it for a couple seconds and shut it off. Then I drained it again and filled it with 2.9 liters of fresh pennzoil 10w-40... now it wont start at all. Nothing has been tampered with except for the drain plug and fill plug between the time that I had it running perfectly and now...

Penzoil isn't worthy of being used on a bicycle chain,let alone inside of any kind of motor! :sick: :woohoo:
Check to see if you knocked a wire lose someplace,is it flooded or out of gas? Check simple stuff first.
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 09:52 #644887

• KzHeadach
  • User
The wires are all good, fuel is good, spark is good, air flow is good I checked all of that yesterday before I took her out for a 20 mile spin and she did great. When I got home I noticed it seemed hotter than it should so thats when I decided I should change the oilwhich was incredibly black. Now theres no life at all.
After I found out that I needed to use MC spacific oil I drained all the oil that I just put in and here we are... right now I dont have the funds to put the good stuff in and I dont really want to do that yet if I possibly scerewed something else up by putting garbage oil in... it just doesnt make any sense to me why it wont even start now... I can understand using the wrong oil would make it run like crap but it should at least start... should I put the old oil back in and see if it runs again or is there something else I need to check first?

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 10:53 #644894

• 650ed
  • User
I know you want to find the problem, but no way would I put the old oil back in. Wait until you buy the appropriate oil, fill it to the correct level using the site glass, then see if it will start. The wrong oil will not prevent the bike from starting. The problem with it is that it will cause problems with the clutch.

The only way I could see the oil change preventing the bike from starting would be if you had grossly overfilled the crankcase to where the pistons were hitting oil at BTC.

If you have a trickle charger or some other charge than charges at a rate of 2 amps or LESS you may want to bring the battery to a full charge while waiting to buy oil. DO NOT hook the charger up to the bike and try to start it as this can wreck the bike's electrical system. Ed

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 11:12 #644895

• KzHeadach
  • User
Just to be clear I was referring to the original oil that the bike was running great on. Should I reintroduce this oil just to see if anything else got messed up or would this be a bad idea?

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 11:24 #644896

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Your bike will even start with No oil in it, but do Not Try this. The oil in there is Not the reason for it not starting.
Fuel, Spark at the right time, and Compression. These are the three basics to get it to fire up.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 12:30 #644905

• 650ed
  • User

KzHeadach wrote: Just to be clear I was referring to the original oil that the bike was running great on. Should I reintroduce this oil just to see if anything else got messed up or would this be a bad idea?

Bad idea! Ed

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 12:39 #644906

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
OTHER THINGS TO CHECK
Is your run/off switch on the handle bar control in the run position
is your petcock in the on, position
are you low enough on fuel to have to switch petcock to reserve
do you have an inline fuel filter, & is it dirty/clogged, ...I'd suggest to get one
is fuel line kinked
is petcock clogged from debris or rust in tank
how did you check for good spark
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!