TOPIC:

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 12:46 #644908

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
Motor oil that many use
good price, & (JASO) certified
www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...8DlPJJsGxDQRPRIInNOQ
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KzHeadach

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 16:16 #644927

• KzHeadach
  • KzHeadach's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Awsome! Thatll help keep the cost down, thanks!
I got this bike from a divorce deal. He had it listed for $400 but when I showed up he said ''ill be dead and rotting in the ground before that b**** gets ahold of this bike! Its yours right now for $150!'' Couldnt pass it up. Since then ive only spent about $100 and got it runnin great! Till now... I guess ill have to be patient. Ill be able to pony up a little more cash on Wednesday. Ill give you an update then. Thanks for the help guys!

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 16:20 #644928

• KzHeadach
  • User
Should I use the 15w-40? Even tho the bike calls for 10w-40?

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 17:35 #644936

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435

KzHeadach wrote: Should I use the 15w-40? Even tho the bike calls for 10w-40?

I do
I used Castrol GTX 10W- 40 for a long time but switched to the Rotella 15W -40 several years back because of the JASO MA cert/standard and have had no problems. It is common to see/hear this on the other motorcycle forums out there
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 18:45 #644943

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
For the time being I wouldn't care if the oil was rated jaso/jado or jaikwando,get the bike started first then worry about that. :laugh:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 23 Aug 2014 20:14 #644949

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

JR wrote:

KzHeadach wrote: Should I use the 15w-40? Even tho the bike calls for 10w-40?

I do
I used Castrol GTX 10W- 40 for a long time but switched to the Rotella 15W -40 several years back because of the JASO MA cert/standard and have had no problems. It is common to see/hear this on the other motorcycle forums out there

I used Castrol GTX 10W- 40 for a long time too (since the bike was new) until sometime after Castrol changed the formula. That change ruined my clutch (not right away) and that's when I learned about the JASO-MA standard. I replaced the clutch disks, started using JASO-MA compliant oil, and have had no more clutch problems. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 24 Aug 2014 09:37 #644981

• KzHeadach
  • User
So I decided to take my carbs off and go through them and I realized that the previous owner had the air/fuel mixture screws set 5 turns out!!! I looked it up and these should be set at 2 3/4 turns out so thats where I set them. We'll see if that did anything or not, im betting on yes.

I guess I have to take back what I said earlier about it "running perfectly"
It had very little pick me up in first gear. I had to keep my foot down on take off to keep myself from tipping the bike over while giving it alot of gas. Once I got past 20mph or so then she would take off pretty good. Im guessing this prlly had something to do with the air/fuel mixture being off kilter.

Im still quite green on bikes so my troubleshooting skills leave alot to be desired... bear with me lol

Last edit: by KzHeadach. Reason: no dirt/grime was found thanks to the inline fuel filter

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 27 Aug 2014 20:13 #645431

• KzHeadach
  • User
So after a little patience I bought some Rotella T 15w -40, an oil filter, and a carb kit (minus the jets.) It came with new air fuel mixture screws, springs, washers, and orings so that was nice. I set the air fuel mixture screws to their stock locations, 2 3/4 turns out instead of 4 turns out like they were set at. Put everything back together and carefully filled her up with oil. After cranking on it for a while it finally started with no choke. It ran good for about 30 seconds and died... then it wouldnt start again until I put it on full choke. It idled very low for a while and when I tried to back the choke off a little it died... when I even thought about touching the throttle, it died.... and after a few minutes when it warmed up.... wait for it... it died! Now it wont start back up... it has spark (does anyone know where they should be gapped at?) The air filter element isnt stock though... its a piece of a shopvac filter I cut to fit... so ill be getting a new one of those. It needs new intake boots as well. Right now they pass the carb cleaner test but there covered in JB weld and that isnt right. While im at it think ill get some new sparkplug wires. These ones work fine and look fairly new but it apears the previous owner glued them to the nuts on the end and, even though im getting spark, they might not be enough of it... so I guess I have a little bit of a shopping list... does anyone know a good place to order parts? Im tired of rigging everything I can on this bike.

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 02 Sep 2014 17:46 #646021

• KzHeadach
  • User
After a little trial and error it finally lives!!! The petcock isnt working properly so it only works on prime once I figured that out I got it runnin again.
Now it wont go anywhere... when its on the center stand and I shift into first the tire spins, as well as through all the gears. When I rev it up it spins faster... like it should. But when I get on and in first gear it wont go anywhere... im only 175 lbs so its not that lol.
this area is a major unknown for me and I have no clue what im doing...

Last edit: by KzHeadach. Reason: cant spell to save my soul

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 02 Sep 2014 18:04 #646024

• nickleo373
  • User
  • Thank you received: 33
Are you sure you're putting the bike into first gear? Some models only allow you to shift when the back tire is moving.
1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 02 Sep 2014 19:06 #646043

• KzHeadach
  • User
U can feel it shift into first with no problems... it just wont go anywhere.
Ur right, u cant shift into 2nd thru 6th without the back tire spinning

1981 kz440, changed the oil... now it wont start.. 02 Sep 2014 20:32 #646055

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Perhaps the clutch cable adjustment at the perch is too tight and won't allow the clutch to engage. There needs to be a little slack in the cable when the lever isn't being squeezed..

Perhaps the clutch cable is binding or kinked or mis-routed so that it can't function properly.

Perhaps the clutch is failing to engage due to needing a clutch push-rod adjustment which creates a slight gap between the clutch actuator assembly and the end of the push-rod.

In any event, it sounds like the clutch is for whatever reason failing to engage.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.