Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Drag Strip 06 Oct 2012 21:55 #552814

• 4TheKZ1000
  • 4TheKZ1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
I went to strip for very first time....I was quite nervous. Went in for test and tune, 5 hours for $20 all you can go. There were several other bikes running prob about 7. There was much interest in the KZ with a crowd around the bike asking questions. After runs I parked in back or the grand stands and people came down to see it.

I talked to several guys and complaining about the track being slick. We had about 2 inches of rain the day before and the problem with the track was weepers……making the track wet and slick. I went in the blocks on the first run with a dry cool tire and proceeded to take a mild run down track. The tire spun at the start.

On the first hot pass with no burn out, I ran a 12.367 at 118.25 mph……that’s with a 2.655 60’ time……just blew the tire off. I ended the run going through the quarter mile lights at 9,000 + rpm……real happy with my gearing out of the box at 14/35

On the third run….I finally did a burnout….just smoked the tire big time…..and still blew the tire off. I didn’t improve on time with a 3181 60’ time. I’m running a continental GO tire that has no business at the drag strip. With the lowered bike attitude, I have a real stiff rear shock setup so bike doesn’t bottom out to rear tire….I’m sure that has to do with hookup. I didn’t air down or anything…..just did three runs and called it a day. Had a blast and represented the KZR well.

Man that was fun and I can see why people do it. I would really like to get a true number with a proper rear tire hook…..kind of bummed out about the tire spin. If you look at the pic, you can see smoke coming off the tire. You can have all kinds of torque and HP but if you can’t get the hookup it’s all show.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

Drag Strip 06 Oct 2012 22:49 #552832

• zukdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 229
Track time is when I have the most fun riding mine
it'll get under your skin.

I have the same blow the tire off problem you have.
Launch rpm's so it don't spin it bog's the motor
Turn the rpm's up I have to slide the clutch out
for the first 30 or 40 feet.
On a 130x18 Dunlop GT501 I've gone 1.76 60 foot
spinnin the tire a little
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4TheKZ1000

Drag Strip 06 Oct 2012 23:47 #552847

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
Fun isn't it!!! Puts a smile on my face every time. You do need to get some gloves though...just in case. I'm surprised they let you run without them. Anyway...as you found out, with your long wheelbase you NEED a much bigger and/or stickier rear tire. That poor thing has no chance without a lot of clutch slipping off the line. The picture of you smoking tire off line shows what letting clutch fly does....I don't have enough guts to do that. Seen too many stand them up (me included!) so I don't... Yea....hooking up does work better if you can run some softer settings on your shocks although it is possible to hook up with even struts if you are good with your left hand. Sounds to me like you want to go get some more fun...where are you racing at?
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Drag Strip 06 Oct 2012 23:58 #552852

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor

racer54 wrote: Fun isn't it!!! Puts a smile on my face every time. You do need to get some gloves though...just in case. I'm surprised they let you run without them. Anyway...as you found out, with your long wheelbase you NEED a much bigger and/or stickier rear tire. That poor thing has no chance without a lot of clutch slipping off the line. The picture of you smoking tire off line shows what letting clutch fly does....I don't have enough guts to do that. Seen too many stand them up (me included!) so I don't... Yea....hooking up does work better if you can run some softer settings on your shocks although it is possible to hook up with even struts if you are good with your left hand. Sounds to me like you want to go get some more fun...where are you racing at?

It was at Tri-State Dragstrip in Ross Ohio just southwest of Hamilton about a mile. I really built it for the street and dont want to beat on it...like I did today...didnt slip clutch, just going that one time and going to save it. Really did have fun and go over to the strip all the time to watch and see friends. Its funny...on the street the tire really dosent spin....I can really launch hard without spinning it...but at track it was like I was on ice..... :blink: :blink:

Drag Strip 07 Oct 2012 00:06 #552854

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
Is that anywhere near Norwalk? Been there a few times for Prostar races....I'm sure that rain washed all the traction right off the track like you mentioned.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Drag Strip 07 Oct 2012 00:08 #552855

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
no its in the very southwest county of ohio....butler county ohio

Drag Strip 07 Oct 2012 00:10 #552857

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Looks like a ton of fun! I was surprised to see that Chevy truck in the background of the 1st 2 pics - I always wondered where mine went after I sold it. :laugh:

Attachment CrossinCritton3.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Drag Strip 07 Oct 2012 00:12 #552858

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
Still think you hit the stance on your bike just right. That first picture is great. Bike is sitting perfect in my opinion. Hope I can get it close to yours when I get finished with mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4TheKZ1000

Drag Strip 07 Oct 2012 00:13 #552859

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
is it my computer or are words/letters getting cut off from message of ed's

Drag Strip 07 Oct 2012 00:25 #552862

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
Looks ok on mine.

Drag Strip 07 Oct 2012 00:35 #552865

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor

racer54 wrote: Looks ok on mine.

ya I cant read after "wondered where"??????????????????????????????

Drag Strip 07 Oct 2012 00:38 #552866

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Drag racin' is cool. I'm hip man B)

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly. Reason: forgot picture