Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bike of the Month. 21 Nov 2016 19:19 #748644

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
My H2 750 dual disc kit had the master cylinder with the stamped 5/8 on it. If I remember right, the reservoir body was the same height as the single disc master. The master cylinders with the cast 5/8 had a slightly taller reservoir body just like the master cylinders on the '76 900 LTD (KZ900B1) God, I am going back forty years, my mind ain't as sharp memory-wise as it once was.
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike of the Month. 22 Nov 2016 17:07 #748702

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52

That sounds like what I expected. The master sure works well but the solid discs are probably the weak link in the chain. I experience the same thing with the old memory bank daily, although it is great at Easter as you can hide your own Easter eggs!
I thought I would let Dave (Streetfighter LTD) have a private moment as the bikes are going away for the winter. I only need to drain fuel and cover until spring and on to the project at hand. Hope to start a build thread soon as I have some pics ready to go.
Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends south of the border!
David
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by Kawboy74.

Bike of the Month. 25 Nov 2016 13:32 #748898

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Street Fighter LTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1978
Thanks David

I Love everything Z and LTD too :P

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Bike of the Month. 26 Nov 2016 11:03 #748983

• Street Fighter LTD

Kawboy74 wrote:

That sounds like what I expected. The master sure works well but the solid discs are probably the weak link in the chain. I experience the same thing with the old memory bank daily, although it is great at Easter as you can hide your own Easter eggs!
I thought I would let Dave (Streetfighter LTD) have a private moment as the bikes are going away for the winter. I only need to drain fuel and cover until spring and on to the project at hand. Hope to start a build thread soon as I have some pics ready to go.
Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends south of the border!
David

So David

What is your next build project ????????????? :huh:

Dave B) B) B)

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Bike of the Month. 27 Nov 2016 15:21 #749057

• Kawboy74
  • User
I have a frame from a '78 kz 1000 LTD that was damaged and I wasn't sure it would be easily repaired which I recently was told no problem. I have a friend who was able to send me the damaged piece of frame and I had a good friend do the repairs. I now have the frame back with a set of cases in it for mock-up and will try to get at it during the Christmas slowdown. The engine is ready to go but I did not attach the pistons, or slide the cylinders on until later. I have a zx600r swing-arm sized to fit and the forks, wheels, calipers and triples for the project. I want to try and make a bike for short distances like the coffee shop on Friday nights or breakfast Sunday.
As I have done two restos so far, I would like to try something a little more radical as others have done so well on this site. It seems that everything I tackle becomes the three year plan so will try to take relevant pictures along the way, unlike past builds.
Will load some pics of work to date. Calipers have been rebuilt, triples machined from the zx600r for regular handlebars,and digital dash bracketry completed.
David

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900, Street Fighter LTD

Bike of the Month. 28 Nov 2016 15:32 #749121

• Street Fighter LTD
I Love the Hydraulic Clutch setup ;)

Dave B) B) B)

Bike of the Month. 28 Nov 2016 17:56 #749126

• Kawboy74
  • User
I love it too! I can't believe what a difference it makes over the stock setup, it almost makes you want to shift more. The stock worm drive actuator is pretty difficult to operate and when you add some Barnett clutch plates it is even worse. I guess that is why the later version of the actuator changed and had small balls inside the ramp. gotta like technology when it makes fun stuff easier.
David

Bike of the Month. 28 Nov 2016 18:21 #749128

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104

Kawboy74 wrote: I love it too! I can't believe what a difference it makes over the stock setup, it almost makes you want to shift more. The stock worm drive actuator is pretty difficult to operate and when you add some Barnett clutch plates it is even worse. I guess that is why the later version of the actuator changed and had small balls inside the ramp. gotta like technology when it makes fun stuff easier.
David

On my Frankin (GPZ1100) bike I have the 3 ball actuator and I'm surprised at how good this system is compared to the worm drive. My Z1R has a GPZ900R hydraulic but I have to admit the 3 ball system feels better. Maybe when the cable gets old this will change. I don't know how the manual actuator will behave with stronger springs etc.
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)

Last edit: by Bozo. Reason: added photo

Bike of the Month. 29 Nov 2016 07:10 #749141

• Kawboy74
  • User
I mis-stated Barnett clutch plates in my previous entry, it was Barnett clutch springs only. I always use stock clutch plates but like a little more positive grab on them that the heavier springs offer. When I did my LTD I used the Barnett springs with the stock actuator which has the balls in it and feel is normal, however, when I used the same springs on The 900 with a NOS stock worm drive set-up I could barely pull in the clutch lever. It was at this point that my good friend suggested his mod of the Yamaha slave under the stock cover which was activated by a Magurs master cylinder. At that point in time, it was I am not going back to stock unless bike gets sold. I still don't exactly know which bike it came from but have since found a couple for the project using the above shown mounting plate. Now I have a spare if something should wear out and I don't know the model for seals as both were in mint shape.
Good luck with yours over the long haul.
David

Bike of the Month. 29 Nov 2016 20:11 #749164

• Street Fighter LTD
One more day to view Davids 74 Z1 as our November BOTM ;)

Wait till you all see Decembers BOTM :P

Dave B) B) B)

Bike of the Month. 30 Nov 2016 03:10 #749166

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Great job David, good luck with your next project ;)

JD
78 KZ1000 A2A

Bike of the Month. 30 Nov 2016 16:41 #749202

• Street Fighter LTD
A parting shot of Davids fine 74 Z1

Thanks David for letting me share your bike with the membership

Dave B) B) B)

Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.