Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bike of the Month. 07 Nov 2016 06:55 #747476

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
Joe I don't winterise and put the bike away for winter, I store it at my dads garage and start it once a week, and if its a nice day, I will ride it around the block.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike of the Month. 09 Nov 2016 09:56 #747634

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
Nice work Dave! Nothing like a stock Z1! I see your a fan of the dragbike!
Paul must have done some engine work for you?
I don't know how far Burlington is from Grand Island, but cant be more than 2 hours. I am 20 minutes away from Paul's shop, I have family that live on Grand Island too.
Paul was running his new Pro Mod 2 weeks ago down in Virginia at the last PDRL race.
I knew Paul back then! ( nice shorts :lol: :lol: ). This is the Race Visions "Puppet chassis Pup built for Paul and Dave Shultz
This was Puppet back in those days too! What a craftsman!
Those H2's were barely 270 pounds race ready!
Keep that Bike Clean!
Marty.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Bike of the Month. 09 Nov 2016 15:12 #747663

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
Hey Marty
Thanks for the comments on the Zed. I don't drag race but a good friend of mine does and that is where I met Paul a couple of years ago. I was riding around the lot at Cayuga and did not know that the big motor home and trailer I drove past was his. I guess he saw me drive by and started yelling for me to turn around and come back. Him and his associate Butch yakked with me for a bit and my pal shot the picture with him. Paul then showed us some head work he had been doing to Hayabusa stuff that had been nuked in races then restored; quite impressive. My good friend Ted does all my motor work from head work ,cam degreeing and initial assembly and setup, there is nobody better, trust me. I actually went with him a few years ago to Amherst New York and met a guy who knows you., he has a couple of Hayabusas and I ended up buying a set of 1000 cases from him very reasonably.
A very good friend of mine named Nick did some work with Puppet years ago trying to make a drag bike KZ engine into an automatic unit and the cases with the big aluminum pipe attached to the side is still around. He also did all the Honda hill climb bike engines for John Williams who later rode the six cylinder Bennelli hill limber on nitro; that was something to see. As I recall, it put out about 300 hp. in '81 but was shortly thereafter mothballed after exploding on the starting line.
Will have to hook up some time when I cross the border as I am about one hour from Niagara Falls and a bit more to Fort Erie. I work quite often around Fort Erie but can't cross with the company van.
Take care and talk soon.
David
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Bike of the Month. 09 Nov 2016 16:42 #747670

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
Hi David That's cool. Yes I am close to the Peace Bridge too! Butch works for Paul. He just bought out his Beautiful Suzuki Busa a few weekends ago. That's John Shwartz, he had a shoulder rebuilt. He did not race for 8 months. This was his 1st pass at Empire Dragway.
This Suzuki is about 1600cc, a Top Gas bike. It sat and idled like a street bike, quiet and smooth. He hit the 2 step and cranked out a
4:95 ET in the 1/8. 2nd hit was a 4:90! And it was cold and drizzly that day. Bike went like it was on a rail.
But I will remember your close.
Here is a phone picture of Butch's Zuki! It's a show bike too. He's got about $75,000 into it.
That's Pat Vaughn in the red cap. He works for Paul to. He runs a car tire KZ based bike still with J head
Nice chating with ya! Marty in Buffalo
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Bike of the Month. 09 Nov 2016 19:09 #747687

• Shabba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47
Hot DAMN that is a gorgeous bike. I love all of the BOTM winners, I know, but there is just something that speaks to me about a beautiful stock bike. This is one of those.
-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

Bike of the Month. 10 Nov 2016 12:39 #747713

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
BEAUTIFUL BIKE!!!!!! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Bike of the Month. 13 Nov 2016 12:42 #747869

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Nice bike,very interested in the paint. Cant find a link to the build thread on this one. Is there a build thread? Is it not an idea to put a link in with the BOTM? I couldnt even find a username,I had to scroll around ,stumble over Dave/David until I found Kawboy74. Had a look at the profile but couldnt find a build thread there.
......or is it just me?
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Bike of the Month. 14 Nov 2016 16:37 #747979

• Kawboy74
  • User
Hi Davido
Sorry to say there is no build thread on my Z1, somewhat due to the fact that I did not know about KZRider until I was at least half way through it, I apologize. With respect to the paint, Reproduction Decals, now known as Diablo Cycle, supplied the decals and I used his recommended painter who I am told is now not painting motorcycles. The colour match was checked against the underside of an original tank and it is closer than any other tank I have seen. For that reason, I am glad I got it done when I did as even then I waited for a year for its return.
If you have any other questions about the bike in any respect, please feel free to PM me.
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: davido

Bike of the Month. 17 Nov 2016 16:00 #748176

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Street Fighter LTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1978
One Bad Ass ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :evil:

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

Bike of the Month. 20 Nov 2016 10:57 #748421

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Street Fighter LTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1978
And then He created Zs :P

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

Bike of the Month. 20 Nov 2016 12:19 #748423

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Thats one clean looking Z1A!!!! Brings back a lot of memories for me.

That color Z1A was the very first 900 I worked on in the first dealership I started in back in 1974.

That bike is as clean as the ones I took out of the crate back then!!! Great job Kawboy74

Back in the day, that factory dual disc kit from Kawasaki was like 100 bucks!!!!! Boy have times changed!!!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

Bike of the Month. 21 Nov 2016 18:06 #748635

• Kawboy74
  • User
Thanks Dr. Gamma. I think the extra disc cost me about a hundred alone! Maybe you can answer a question I have had about the master cylinders back in that time frame. I have a master that came from a wreck back in that time frame and unlike others from say '75 on that had the 5/8" in the casting underneath, this one has it on top near the lever bolt, as if it was done with a punch set. At first I thought it was an oddball but since then I have seen exactly the same type sell on E-Bay for silly money. Was this some left over stock from the triples when they had the option of the same upgrade or just from an early batch before casting changes happened?
Thanks David