Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 26 Jan 2015 14:23 #659812

• MannDude
  • MannDude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I've got a KZ440 TLD that has been sitting around for over a year. It needs a new starter, but needs some cosmetic fixes too. Roughly speaking, since I am a newb and have no idea what I am doing, would it cost to make it visually appealing and running well?

This is what it looks like now:

It supposedly just needs a new starter to run. And obviously needs some TLC and new tires and some care.

This is ideally what I'd like it to look like when done (give or take, but as a motivational image):

or

I bought the bike in late 2013, early 2014 and I thought I'd find time to get it up and running but haven't even really worked on it. I'm not familiar with bikes at all and have listed it for sale locally.

BUT, I was browsing eBay last night and it didn't seem too expensive to find parts for these. Hell, a used running engine was like $80, etc. So now I'm sort of motivated again to work on it, as it appears parts aren't too costly.

So, roughly, can someone give me an idea of the cost involved in restoring/fixing something like this up? I don't have much money invested in it already and can sell it as is without issue. It's my first motorcycle so there is some sort of appeal in keeping it and fixing it up, but I've not been very motivated to go out and rip it apart either. If it won't cost an arm and a leg to restore I may start ripping it up and replacing stuff on it though. :)

Apologies in advanced for the vague and open ended question, ha!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by MannDude.

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 26 Jan 2015 14:36 #659814

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
First question is Why? Keep the bike stock. Looks like old style Honda turn signals up front. Mismatched in back. Get it running and sell it or ride the piss out of it. I hate to see them chopped up and everything painted over.
It's your bike, you can do what you want.
Steve

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 26 Jan 2015 14:52 #659816

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
+1 on what Steve said, and dont chop a Kawasaki, chop anything else.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 26 Jan 2015 15:00 #659818

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Why not sell it and buy a bike that has already been hacked on? The stock bike would bring you more $$ then one that has been butchered. If you sold the stock bike as is you should be able to get enough $$ to pay for a bike that's already been fouled and have enough $$ left over to fix it up the way you want. Incidentally, your bike already looks much better than either of the ones you show in the 2nd and 3rd pictures. In fact, that all black bike looks like it was painted by the same idiot that painted the red one below. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ed

Attachment redbike.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 26 Jan 2015 15:10 #659823

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Bike appears in good unmolested stock condition, which is far more valuable than any resulting irreversible mutation.

The starter may be repairable and overall expense likely minimal to return the bike much closer to showroom performance and appearance.

If excellent stock condition is unacceptable, would consider selling the bike and buying one that's already been irretrievably modified.

Edit -- 650Ed typed faster. :cheer: :lol: :lol:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 26 Jan 2015 15:13 #659824

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Go to Z1Enterprises.com & poke around to see what the typical costs will be:
Fr Brake caliper rebuilt kit & piston, mc kit & cap diaphragm. Fr Br ss braided lines (maybe).
>>>new Rr Br shoes <<<. New tires --- I guess you could find some cheap but decent tires.

Fuel petcock rebuild kit, fuel line & in-line fuel filter, carburetor rebuild parts (at least gaskets & o-rings). New air filter, maybe new airbox ducts & carb holders if yours are hard or cracked n stuff.
The fuel tank may have rust which would need to be treated (cost varies).

New battery, spark plugs, plug wires & maybe a new ignition coil.
OIl change & new oil filter. New handlebars & cables.
Manual, tools & chems. Ctek US 0.8 smart charger & VC97 digital multimeter.

Total rough guess: $500-800 or higher, depending upon its condition & what tools n stuff you have. An experienced or industrious sort might just clean the tank & spot clean the carbs, add fresh fuel & battery, change the oil & brake fluid, then ride. :)

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 26 Jan 2015 15:54 #659828

• MannDude
  • MannDude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks guys.

I'll probably keep it and focus on getting it running first. Regardless of stock vs chopped up, it's going to need new tires and the idiot who owned it before me spray painted a lot of things silver to, what I assume, cover rust spots.

I'll try to start working on it again and see what I can make happen. As per my previous posts on this forum you'll see I started to try to get to the starter, but failed. Was never able to get beyond removing the seat, tank, and trying to get that side plate off where the starter is.

Wish I lived somewhere where I knew some riders or bike people to assist me, but I'm sort of just going at this alone with this forum as reference.

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 26 Jan 2015 16:18 #659830

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
Do what I did, when I first started here I knew nothing about bike repair, so every time I got stuck repairing something I asked for help and I got it from the members here, the more you work on your bike the better you get, next thing you know, you will be a pro. Having a Kawasaki repair manual for your bike is a must.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

Last edit: by mopguy.

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 26 Jan 2015 16:39 #659833

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435

Was never able to get beyond removing the seat, tank, and trying to get that side plate off where the starter is.

Regarding removing stuff see 650ed's post and the section titled "Tools" for the best advice
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/596...fg-from-miami#658769

look here for a manual and technical tips
www.kz400.com/index.html

Good Luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 27 Jan 2015 06:18 #659877

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Careful with that ax, Er hammer Eugene. :laugh: You need a hand impact driver for those Phillips case screws. Get a manual, take pics and ask questions. You'll get better advice if we can see what you're talking about.
Steve

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 27 Jan 2015 06:26 #659879

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Before doing anything, I would scour CL etc for an alternate bike & consider getting rid of the 440. The starter issue & being slathered in silver paint would be enough for me to sell the thing, even if it means taking a loss --- hopefully you got it cheap. The paint removal alone would be a pain. :pinch: :)

Recently on KZR: How much damage can you do with spray paint?

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Realistically speaking, how much would it cost? 27 Jan 2015 14:08 #659912

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
...just be aware that that bike has a price ceiling, even a mint one in a crate wouldn't be worth a fraction of other 4 cylinder kz offerings of that period.

With that in mind parts are probably not so highly in demand, so if the bike is servicable within a sensible budget do it, just don't over-restore it. Throw money at a Z1 or ELR if you must, even then it is still difficult to recoup restoration costs, even without factoring the months of work. and years of collecting unavailable parts.

I'd certainly avoid chopping it it, as a first project it is more than likely going to end up as an abortion. The'secret' to bike restoring is finding a decent servicable and complete project to start with. If you find out the engine is stuffed or the frame bent, just break it and find a better one.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Last edit: by Tyrell Corp.
  • Page: