Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ problem developing! DAMNIT! 11 Sep 2015 17:23 #689653

• GPzMOD750
  • GPzMOD750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I HATE YOU PEOPLE!!!

Because of you. I now have a second KZ in less than 3 months. '79 KZ1000ST (10k mi). Needs some TLC but runs, drives and it's licensed. This will NOT be a project for now. It will just be a driver. Officially, it's mine but my brother paid for it and will cover all expenses. We were riding buddies years ago and this will help us get back to that.

It has some pretty nasty road rash on the head, busted fins. The bars are bent but I have a brand new super bike bar sitting in my garage. It's running a bit weak, obviously needs a valve adjustment and carb sync if not rebuild. It has straight pipes but actually doesn't sound too bad. Otherwise is pretty much original except an aftermarket petcock, I have the factory one which I'll rebuild and reinstall.

It was getting dark by the time I could take a pic so I'll take better ones tomorrow.

Can you feel my seething rage?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

I HATE YOU PEOPLE!!! 11 Sep 2015 17:45 #689657

• Shabba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47
Apparently, it's a sickness.
-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

I HATE YOU PEOPLE!!! 11 Sep 2015 17:50 #689658

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
  • Thank you received: 34
Quit complaining I'm up to 6..... LoL
1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

I HATE YOU PEOPLE!!! 11 Sep 2015 18:00 #689661

• KZCafeChickNJ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Nice pick-up! It looks and sounds like one of those sweet 'lil gems that only needs a few basic maintenance items to be a great bike. Congrats!

Candi
1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer
1978 KZ650SR

I HATE YOU PEOPLE!!! 11 Sep 2015 18:07 #689662

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
Great bike. PLS add a LOL after your "I HATE YOU PEOPLE." :lol:
Steve

I HATE YOU PEOPLE!!! 12 Sep 2015 00:25 #689686

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
Attachments:

KZ problem developing! DAMNIT! 12 Sep 2015 11:25 #689776

• GPzMOD750
  • User
OK, beautiful sunny day. Here's some clear pics of the Good, Bad......

Big ding in the fender.

The worst part about it. I see at least a replacement head, maybe cylinder block in the distant future. I think I'd rather remove whatever crap this is rather than look at it.

What ever caused the above apparently took the kick start with it.

I thought at first the bars were bent but when i took this pic I realized it just wasn't centered. :laugh:

It starts cold. Which is a plus, The air box and intake boots are leaking which caused some awesome backfires last time i started it and let it warm up. I'm hunting down the right stuff for that right now. BTW could someone ID these carbs so I can get the correct kits for them?

The seller said the pipes were straight but they do have baffles in them so I'll leave them be for now. Some one put a K&N in the airbox which I don't think I'll keep.

Any one in the UK have or know where I can get a speedo for this thing? I'll bet it likes going more than 85 mph on regular basis or at least it will.

Here's a weird one. The title says this is a KZ1000P which it obviously isn't. I'm not sure why it doesn't say KZ1000E. :unsure:

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

KZ problem developing! DAMNIT! 12 Sep 2015 11:45 #689779

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
That looks like a good project. I would suspect the weak running is, as you said, from carbs and valve adjustment, but also probably from the open pipes. They rob low and midrange power.I have two bikes that are mislabeled on the title even though the vin is correct. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as the vin matches up.

That ignition cover is sweet. is there some trick ignition behind that?
I would take some measurements and see if the frame is bent before you too far into it.

KZ problem developing! DAMNIT! 12 Sep 2015 12:11 #689780

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
If you remove the handlebars and lay them on a flat surface you be able to see if they are bent. If they are, you can straighten them without special equipment. I had a spare handlebar that was a little out of whack. To straighten it I placed one end of it between two pieces of 3/4" plywood (to protect the surface), laid it in my driveway, and parked the front wheel of my truck on the top piece of plywood. That held the bar steady and enabled me to grab the other end and bend back into shape. Granted, it did not need a lot of adjustment, but if yours are bent I suspect they are bent very little at all since they look pretty good. It took me a couple turns of bending a little, checking on a flat surface, bending a little, etc., but after a few tries I got the handlebars perfectly aligned. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ problem developing! DAMNIT! 12 Sep 2015 14:55 #689789

• GPzMOD750
  • User

650ed wrote: If you remove the handlebars and lay them on a flat surface you be able to see if they are bent. If they are, you can straighten them without special equipment. I had a spare handlebar that was a little out of whack. To straighten it I placed one end of it between two pieces of 3/4" plywood (to protect the surface), laid it in my driveway, and parked the front wheel of my truck on the top piece of plywood. That held the bar steady and enabled me to grab the other end and bend back into shape. Granted, it did not need a lot of adjustment, but if yours are bent I suspect they are bent very little at all since they look pretty good. It took me a couple turns of bending a little, checking on a flat surface, bending a little, etc., but after a few tries I got the handlebars perfectly aligned. Ed

I centered them up and they are still slightly bent. I have a super bike bars that I was going to put on the GPz. I think drag bars would be more to my liking on the GPz anyway so I'll use them on this one.

KZ problem developing! DAMNIT! 12 Sep 2015 15:02 #689790

• GPzMOD750
  • User

DoctoRot wrote: That looks like a good project. I would suspect the weak running is, as you said, from carbs and valve adjustment, but also probably from the open pipes. They rob low and midrange power.I have two bikes that are mislabeled on the title even though the vin is correct. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as the vin matches up.

That ignition cover is sweet. is there some trick ignition behind that?
I would take some measurements and see if the frame is bent before you too far into it.

i just took it around the block and it idles way high and backfires like crazy with the choke full open. if you give a little choke it settles down. i pulled that cover an it just looks like a factory set up to me unless it's supposed to have points, I just think that cover replaced the buggered up factory one. it doesn't fit quite right nd whoever fitted it bent the screws to get it to seat.

KZ problem developing! DAMNIT! 13 Sep 2015 07:48 #689859

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Sounds like its running lean. It probably was not rejected for the open pipes