Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 02:15 #748132

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

TexasKZ wrote: If you do decide to try a different braking technique, ease into it , practicing on clean, dry pavement. Suddenly grabbing a fistful of front brake on a dicey surface can have painful consequences. Been there, got the t-shirt. :blush:

Your never too old to do a rider training course.... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 04:58 #748139

• KZCafeChickNJ
  • KZCafeChickNJ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10

Shabba wrote: I had my doubts when you started this but it looks like my being wrong is a good thing. Color me impressed. Beautiful work. It's great to have enthusiasts like you in our community.

Thank you. That's very nice of you to say. :)
1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer
1978 KZ650SR

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 05:07 #748140

• KZCafeChickNJ
  • User

TexasKZ wrote: If you do decide to try a different braking technique, ease into it , practicing on clean, dry pavement. Suddenly grabbing a fistful of front brake on a dicey surface can have painful consequences. Been there, got the t-shirt. :blush:

lol Yes, I know that, hon. :) I'm fast, but I'm not reckless, and after 30+ years of riding, I know to always ease into new techniques. I put a few miles on the 650 yesterday and used the front brake a lot more than usual. Gotta love those dual front discs on a relatively light bike. :)
I'll try it on the 400 today after the valve caps get here.
1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer
1978 KZ650SR

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 05:10 #748141

• KZCafeChickNJ
  • User

750 R1 wrote:
Your never too old to do a rider training course.... ;)

YOU'RE never too old to actually add something to a thread, nor learn the difference between "you're" and "your". I ignored your first snide remark, but had to put you in your place after this one. YOU'RE welcome. :)
1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer
1978 KZ650SR

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 13:39 #748164

• KZCafeChickNJ
  • User
Cancel what I said about 210 main jets. I pulled the plugs and they were showing a moderately lean condition, which I already knew before reading the plugs. I swapped in a pair of 220s and it was much better, but I think it's going to want 230s in the end. I'm not sure if that's because of the porting work I did or the colder, thinner air, but I'm surprised it wants so much fuel, even with it having 32mm carbs that are pulling some serious air for a "little" 400. Either way, this bike is an absolute blast to ride fast and hard! :woohoo:
1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer
1978 KZ650SR

Last edit: by KZCafeChickNJ.

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 14:10 #748165

• 750 R1
  • User

KZCafeChickNJ wrote:

750 R1 wrote:
You're never too old to do a rider training course.... ;)

YOU'RE never too old to actually add something to a thread, nor learn the difference between "you're" and "your". I ignored your first snide remark, but had to put you in your place after this one. YOU'RE welcome. :)

What's with the panties in a knot attitude ...? I definitely know the difference between you're and your, I was in a hurry to go out and just added that comment without proof reading, I have no idea of what you mean about any "snide remark", whilst I HATE grammar nazi's online, I think THEY'RE petty, I'll let it slide this time as it seems YOUR poor mood is attributed to a complete misunderstanding. I'm 10 years older than you and am no fan of typing , I stink at it, I grew up when spelling was important and value it thanks. On topic, I would recommend rider training courses to anyone that rides, especially people either getting back into riding after a hiatus, or someone who doesn't know how to brake correctly, as it is in your case, I'm surprised by the sheer amount of people I've come across online that rely mainly on their under performing rear brake, I would be dead by now if I rode like that. That is NOT an insult, its a fact. Recently I watched in horror as a guy in his 40's on a Harley locked up his rear brake and slid into the back of a car towing a boat, the leg of the boat motor split his chest down the middle, he got up and sat next to a tree and died in front of me and my son, it was horrible to watch, It wouldn't have happened if he knew how to brake properly, I later found out the deceased guy was a child molester so the story had an upside, strange but true...!! My brother and I have been riding bikes since the late 1970,s, I didn't even have a car license until I was 40, just bikes, My bro bought a new bike recently {CBR1000RR} after not riding for about 10 years, the first thing he did was go do a rider refresher course, NOT because he can't ride, because its a great place to get back YOUR feel for the road without any obstacles, no idiots to look out for that are trying to kill you, and a clean surface to practice your skills, including proper braking technique. I haven't ridden since having major surgery a while ago, I have 5 bikes in my garage and once I get the 750 Kawasaki back on the road i'm doing a refresher course, I also like riding on the track, so it kills two birds with one stone, I can go as hard as I like and no one gets hurt. I've owned over 40 bikes and worked in a very reputable bike shop I can assure you, I know how to ride, but I'm still doing the course, I did get it cheap because I know the rider trainers. I hope I've explained myself clearly, I meant no offense, I'd love you to point out how my comment was offensive because Texas's comment is 100% correct and I just agreed to give assurance ..?

If you really want to improve braking, look to the front. That is where about 90% of the braking action happens. I use the rear brake rarely. Usually to settle the chassis going into a turn, or if I am slowly negotiating a really slick surface like wet grass.
Two up touring, yes a little rear brake, otherwise I just punish the front.

I couldn't agree more.... ;)

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 14:51 #748167

• diggerdanh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 89
I have VM30s on my 76 KZ400. I run 25 pilots, 230 mains and the stock 3.0 slide. I have a pair of aftermarket mufflers on it too. So we are in the same ballpark.

I noticed what you said about getting rid of the slight stumble with the 2.0 slides. I do have just a slight stumble there too. I tried the 2.5 slides a while back but the bike ran like junk. Perhaps though it was because they were not "real" Mikuni slides, the supplier milled 2.5 slides from a 3.0 slide. So perhaps I should get a real pair of 2.5 or 2.0 slides and try again.

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 15:10 #748168

• KZCafeChickNJ
  • User

750 R1 wrote:

KZCafeChickNJ wrote:

750 R1 wrote:

What's with the panties in a knot attitude ...? I definitely know the difference between you're and your, I was in a hurry to go out and just added that comment without proof reading, I have no idea of what you mean about any "snide remark", whilst I HATE grammar nazi's online, I think THEY'RE petty, I'll let it slide this time as it seems YOUR poor mood is attributed to a complete misunderstanding. I'm 10 years older than you and am no fan of typing , I stink at it, I grew up when spelling was important and value it thanks. On topic, I would recommend rider training courses to anyone that rides, especially people either getting back into riding after a hiatus, or someone who doesn't know how to brake correctly, as it is in your case, I'm surprised by the sheer amount of people I've come across online that rely mainly on their under performing rear brake, I would be dead by now if I rode like that. That is NOT an insult, its a fact. Recently I watched in horror as a guy in his 40's on a Harley locked up his rear brake and slid into the back of a car towing a boat, the leg of the boat motor split his chest down the middle, he got up and sat next to a tree and died in front of me and my son, it was horrible to watch, It wouldn't have happened if he knew how to brake properly, I later found out the deceased guy was a child molester so the story had an upside, strange but true...!! My brother and I have been riding bikes since the late 1970,s, I didn't even have a car license until I was 40, just bikes, My bro bought a new bike recently {CBR1000RR} after not riding for about 10 years, the first thing he did was go do a rider refresher course, NOT because he can't ride, because its a great place to get back YOUR feel for the road without any obstacles, no idiots to look out for that are trying to kill you, and a clean surface to practice your skills, including proper braking technique. I haven't ridden since having major surgery a while ago, I have 5 bikes in my garage and once I get the 750 Kawasaki back on the road i'm doing a refresher course, I also like riding on the track, so it kills two birds with one stone, I can go as hard as I like and no one gets hurt. I've owned over 40 bikes and worked in a very reputable bike shop I can assure you, I know how to ride, but I'm still doing the course, I did get it cheap because I know the rider trainers. I hope I've explained myself clearly, I meant no offense, I'd love you to point out how my comment was offensive because Texas's comment is 100% correct and I just agreed to give assurance ..?

If you really want to improve braking, look to the front. That is where about 90% of the braking action happens. I use the rear brake rarely. Usually to settle the chassis going into a turn, or if I am slowly negotiating a really slick surface like wet grass.

For someone who claims to be no fan of typing, that sure was wordy. I know how to ride very well, thank you. My braking method can't be all that bad since I've never had an accident in 30+ years of continuous riding, and I'm certainly no putt-putt cruiser. My "panties were in a knot" (typical sexist male expression) because I'm tired of men like you who discount my wrenching and riding abilities simply because I'm a female and because of their own insecurities. Meanwhile, I can wrench, fabricate and ride circles around 9/10 of the male motorcyclists I've ever been around. I was simply commenting on how weak the rear brake is on this bike compared to all of the others I've ridden. I never said or intimated that I used nothing but rear brake.

Your first post added absolutely nothing to the thread. Almost as lame as saying "+1" (ugh). Texas said it, in a nice way, and I got it. Your add-on post was completely unnecessary. Your second post was clearly snide. "Rider training courses" are for complete newbs. Advanced technique courses are for people like me who already know how to ride very well and have done so on tracks (motocross and road) since my teens. There's a big difference between a newb course that you suggested, and an advanced class, but perhaps they're the same where you come from. Either way, if you have nothing to add to a thread, why not save your keystrokes? (Rhetorical question)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm having far too much fun with my beautiful "new" bike to be dragged down into an internet argument with someone half way around the world.
1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer
1978 KZ650SR

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 15:29 #748171

• KZCafeChickNJ
  • User

diggerdanh wrote: I have VM30s on my 76 KZ400. I run 25 pilots, 230 mains and the stock 3.0 slide. I have a pair of aftermarket mufflers on it too. So we are in the same ballpark.

I noticed what you said about getting rid of the slight stumble with the 2.0 slides. I do have just a slight stumble there too. I tried the 2.5 slides a while back but the bike ran like junk. Perhaps though it was because they were not "real" Mikuni slides, the supplier milled 2.5 slides from a 3.0 slide. So perhaps I should get a real pair of 2.5 or 2.0 slides and try again.

Hi Dan,
I'm surprised that the 2.5 slides didn't work well with your VM30s, even if the slides were milled rather than real 2.5s. With mine, knowing that the VM32s take a VERY big gulp of air on a little 400 when whacking the throttle open, I knew that the stumble I had needed a bigger jump than just ,5, so that's why I went to the 2.0s straight from the 3.0s. Kinda the same with the main jets. I had 200s in it and after reading the plugs, I knew 210s would be a waste of time, so I went straight to the 220s and still it's just a hair lean. 230s are going in tomorrow and I'll do a riding video. I did one just before dark with my phone clipped to the top of my jacket, but I forgot to reverse the camera, so it's just a black screen with 5 minutes of engine sounds. (Which is still pretty cool if you ask me.)

This is going to sound silly of me to ask, but when you put the 2.5 slides in, did you perhaps put them in reversed? As in the air cutaway pointed toward the motor instead of the pods? As thorough as I am, I've done that a time or two over the years and then wondered briefly why the bike ran poorly before realizing my mistake.

I would say get the 2.0 slides. If they make the mixture too rich just off idle, you can always sell them off and buy the 2.5s. On the other hand, are you sure what you have is a "lean stumble" and not a "rich burble"? 25 pilots seem a little big for the 30mm carb on the stock 400, assuming it's stock and not ported, Boyer ignition, etc. Since the motor ran worse with the smaller cutaway slides, that tells me that it wanted more air rather than less air, so I'm thinking you might be too rich off the bottom. Just food for thought. :)
1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer
1978 KZ650SR

Last edit: by KZCafeChickNJ.

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 15:41 #748172

• Bowman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36

KZCafeChickNJ wrote:

750 R1 wrote:

KZCafeChickNJ wrote:

750 R1 wrote:

For someone who claims to be no fan of typing, that sure was wordy. I know how to ride very well, thank you. My braking method can't be all that bad since I've never had an accident in 30+ years of continuous riding, and I'm certainly no putt-putt cruiser. My "panties were in a knot" (typical sexist male expression) because I'm tired of men like you who discount my wrenching and riding abilities simply because I'm a female and because of their own insecurities. Meanwhile, I can wrench, fabricate and ride circles around 9/10 of the male motorcyclists I've ever been around. I was simply commenting on how weak the rear brake is on this bike compared to all of the others I've ridden. I never said or intimated that I used nothing but rear brake.

Your first post added absolutely nothing to the thread. Almost as lame as saying "+1" (ugh). Texas said it, in a nice way, and I got it. Your add-on post was completely unnecessary. Your second post was clearly snide. "Rider training courses" are for complete newbs. Advanced technique courses are for people like me who already know how to ride very well and have done so on tracks (motocross and road) since my teens. There's a big difference between a newb course that you suggested, and an advanced class, but perhaps they're the same where you come from. Either way, if you have nothing to add to a thread, why not save your keystrokes? (Rhetorical question)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm having far too much fun with my beautiful "new" bike to be dragged down into an internet argument with someone half way around the world.

Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 15:44 #748173

• 750 R1
  • User

KZCafeChickNJ wrote:

750 R1 wrote:

KZCafeChickNJ wrote:

750 R1 wrote:

Jesus lady, I've never read so much garbage in one post in my life, you've made an incorrect assumption and then dribbled on with a pile of worthless rubbish, what a load of condescending, possibly feminist crap. I was trying to help regardless of what you assumed..

You said this "I'm thrilled with it! The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the rear brake. I wasn't expecting much since it's a drum, but a 300 lb bike with a 130 lb rider should stop a lot better.." I didn't make any assumptions here, a 300 pound bike DOES stop better, Learn to use the front brake correctly and you'll soon find out. I'm out of here, I'm through wasting my time with a defensive fool looking for anything to be offended by.... sheesh...!!!

1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer Build 17 Nov 2016 15:50 #748175

• KZCafeChickNJ
  • User
Awwww. Your input will be sorely missed. Bye. :kiss:
1974 KZ400 Cafe Racer
1978 KZ650SR