Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New winter project? 16 Jun 2015 20:59 #676898

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
1. Squirt some Marvel Mystery oil or even better; Kroil eve you can get it. Let it soak a couple of days.
2. Try to turn it slowly by turning the crank by hand (under the ignition cover).
3. If it turns I would first do the oil change and then try to fire it up using starting fluid ( will need a battery). A couple of shots in each cylinder with the throttle open and then hit the starter. Should fire up for a few seconds if your electrics are in working order.
4. Once the first start high is gone, I would try to give it a compression test to what condition the engine is at. Keep in mind that if compression is on the low side, there is a good chance it will improve once you get some miles on the bike and the rings free up a bit.
From there on you can follow the rest of your list and knowing you have a sound engine.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: Randombeat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New winter project? 16 Jun 2015 21:26 #676905

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Even then the valve guide seals will have to be changed.
Steve

Re:New winter project? 17 Jun 2015 05:59 #676919

• Rustyhama
  • Rustyhama's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
During the auction someone asked the PO to check if the engine was seized. He put it in 6th gear and push the bike. He reported that it rolled then skidded then rolled then skidded which sounds like the engine going through its compression cycles to me. So I'm taking that as a good sign. Steve, why would it be necessary to change the valve guide seals?
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

Re:New winter project? 17 Jun 2015 06:16 #676922

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
You'll have to pull the head and valves. I would anyway to make sure everything is OK before riding it. There are some that try to ignore this kind of advice and find out the hard way something minor has turned into a major overhaul. :ohmy: Not only is your life depending on it, "There's a certain satisfaction in knowing what's between your legs." B)
Steve

Re:New winter project? 07 Jul 2015 16:25 #679942

• Rustyhama
  • User
I'm working on getting this old girl running first. I've removed the carbs and cleaned out the old varnish, crud and corrosion. All the jets have come out ok with the help of my mate Kroil. To get them back on the bike I heated the boots to soften them. It softened them alright but I reckon they shrunk about 10% and now won't go back on. So I either need to replace them or biff them and go with pods. I'm thinking about the Emgo pods 4 for $80 vs K&N $80 each. Go ahead shoot me down! I actually like the shape of the plastic air box in front of the side covers so I might retain that, we'll see.
So after I got the carbs back on and battery in I attempted to fire her up. The starter works and turns the engine over (but makes a pretty nasty sound) but alas no spark. So I've tested the pickup coils, the give me no reading at all so I have a used set on the way off ebay. The coils tested bad too so I've got some new one through my local Kawi dealer. Side note, he just showed my photos of his recent trip to the Kawasaki factory & museum. Oh baby!
So hopefully with new pickups, coils plugs and leads I'll get a spark. If not might be trouble with the cdi box. Then I might throw it all away and she'll out the big bucks on the full Dyna system. Any opinions on that or other options? Cheers fellas
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

Re:New winter project? 13 Jul 2015 03:57 #680648

• Rustyhama
  • User
I got her running tonight!
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

• Page: