Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New winter project? 09 Apr 2015 15:36 #667304

• Rustyhama
  • Rustyhama's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Hello KZ lovers! I found this bike for sale on TradeMe (NZ version of Ebay)
www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=867381979
After researching all there is on the web about this I think it would be a great project either to keep stock if I like the look of it or replicate this fantastic build
www.recycles.it/#prettyPhoto[gallery11]/0/
One thing I really like about that build is the bike is mostly stock apart from some rear subframe mods & a cool integrated rear fender. All the components are stock.
So my questions:
1. At 64,000 kms (40,000miles) what sort of things would start to need replacing? Rings? Hey still listed as available on Partzilla. Sweet!
2. Any opinions on part availability generally?
3. Any little secrets about these I should know about?

P.S. don't tell any other Kiwi's about this listing - I want to keep it on the down low ;)

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Hama
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New winter project? 09 Apr 2015 15:49 #667306

• SweetwoodSUP
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
What a great project bike! Most of its problems are probably cosmetic. I would plan on going through it completely. Before you bought it I would at least look at the plugs and turn it over. Turning it over is just to make sure there is nothing seized. The condition of the plugs will tell you how well it was running the last time it was run. Providing it passes those two tests, at that price I would jump on it. Parts availability should be good as long as you don't mind Ebaying to NZ.
'79 LTD 1000
'84 Ninja 900 (Sold, What was I thinking!)
'81 CSR 305 (sold)
'69 BMW R75 (Sold)

New winter project? 09 Apr 2015 16:56 #667320

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Pretty clean but for the rust. It doesn't have a square head light. I hated that about the 80's.
Steve

New winter project? 09 Apr 2015 18:21 #667337

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
At that price I would pass.

40k miles is not a problem, but that bike looks like it has been very neglected since the last time it was registered - 1989 (26 years ago). Judging by the rust and the condition of the paint on the engine I wouldn't be at all surprised if it needs a complete overhaul, plus the brakes are shot, etc.

Another BIG issue (at least it would be here) is that the seller states "I have no history or papers etc." So where did he get the bike? It just popped up one day on his lawn? He stole it? The Kawasaki fairy put it in this Christmas stocking? It appears he has zero proof of ownership so how will you register it?

Another issue is the fact that the seller is either stupid or a liar. He states "chain & sprockets good." That chain is rusted to death, so what else is he exaggerating about?

Here's that "good chain" :laugh: :laugh:
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

New winter project? 09 Apr 2015 19:39 #667356

• Rustyhama
  • User
Hmmm, thank you. Some differing opinions there! The paperwork issue is not such a big issue here in NZ. My 305 was in the same boat, it just needed to pass it's WOF then I registered it. Us Kiwi's are pretty trusting people!
I think looking at the photos you can go either way 'clean' or 'neglected'. The bike is in the central North Island & I live in the deep South so viewing is out! Here in NZ we have a pretty small pool to choose from. Our population is 4.5million, in 1980 it was 3.1 so it's not like "oh I'll just choose that nice shiny one 45 minutes down the road" so there is a fair amount of luck involved in a purchase like this.

Having said that the wisdom of 650ed will not go ignored! I'll ask the seller some questions and lower what I'm prepared to pay for it. It will cost me $500 to get it down here too.
I'm a cup half full guy! Maybe the motor is sweet, I can clean up the brakes and oil the shit out of the chain then I have a super cool z750!
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

New winter project? 09 Apr 2015 20:03 #667364

• Rustyhama
  • User
Well I phoned the guy up & had a good chat. He's owned it for about 5 or 6 years and has not got around to restoring it. He said he put some fuel in the carbs & started it about 3 years ago and ran pretty well (rough because the carbs are a bit of a mess but not knocky or anything) He said the owner before him had it stored, they are in Rotorua which is a thermally active part of New Zealand - mud pools, geysers and where the PO was had a lot of sulphur in the air that accelerates corrosion etc.
He sounded like a good fella to me!
The auction closes next Wednesday night. I'll let ya'll know how I go.

Still interested in any other opinions...
Hama
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

New winter project? 15 Apr 2015 16:49 #668113

• Rustyhama
  • User
Well I didn't get it. I think it sold in the end for $1580 NZD. I'm suffering a bit of failed purchase remorse today.
There are so few good Z's & KZ's in NZ I'd consider bringing one in from the US. Best get myself a new bike fund going...
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

New winter project? 07 Jun 2015 15:11 #675626

• Rustyhama
  • User
Well raise my rent! Another Z750E has shown up for sale here in NZ. Exactly the same model as I looked at last time. This one looks to be in better condition, no dents in the tank or rips in the seat. I might even keep her stock! And its on the same Island as me so I can drive to pick it up. B)

www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=897481173

What do you think? I'm guessing it will go for around $1500 - $2000 NZD
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

New winter project? 08 Jun 2015 08:29 #675717

• Jonny
  • User
  • woot!
  • Thank you received: 22
Hey Rusty,

I'd keep a close eye on that one. If you can get it for NZ 1500 (ish), you're laughing. Normally this is where I would add joke about the NZ Peso, but considering how strong NZD is at the moment, and how badly the CAD has taken a beating, I shouldn't talk.

I just got back from NZ a couple weeks ago, and every time I go down there for a contract I get the itch to buy some kind of bike and just ride it around for a few months. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet tho. So very hard to find KZ's and much of anything else in good kip, and for a reasonable price. I came pretty close to picking up a Kawi Estrella this last trip, but figured I might spend all my time riding wishing for more power. Ha! Hard to go back to a little thumper after riding 650s for a while.

If I do get back down there, I'd at least rent something for a bit and do some of the mountiain passes, and maybe go riding down to the Caitlins when the weather was right. If you get the Z running sweet, good on ya'. Be sure to start up a thread on the progress should you have luck with it!

Cheers!
Jon
'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

New winter project? 08 Jun 2015 14:16 #675756

• ed spangler
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
  • Thank you received: 29

650ed wrote: At that price I would pass.

40k miles is not a problem, but that bike looks like it has been very neglected since the last time it was registered - 1989 (26 years ago). Judging by the rust and the condition of the paint on the engine I wouldn't be at all surprised if it needs a complete overhaul, plus the brakes are shot, etc.

Another BIG issue (at least it would be here) is that the seller states "I have no history or papers etc." So where did he get the bike? It just popped up one day on his lawn? He stole it? The Kawasaki fairy put it in this Christmas stocking? It appears he has zero proof of ownership so how will you register it?

Another issue is the fact that the seller is either stupid or a liar. He states "chain & sprockets good." That chain is rusted to death, so what else is he exaggerating about?

Here's that "good chain" :laugh: :laugh:

+1 650Ed is right on !
Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

New winter project? 16 Jun 2015 15:29 #676845

• Rustyhama
  • User
Just for the record that photo of the rusty chain is another bike that I didn't buy. That one sold for $1580.

I just half accidentally bought this one. :ohmy:
It looks in quite good condition although currently is a non runner. I paid $1510 for it ($1050 US). B)
www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=897481173
Whaddayareckon?

Can some one point me towards a forum topic that has a basic list of things to do for a non runner?
Im thinking:
1. Oil & filter change
2. remove & clean the carbs
3. Check condition of inside of fuel tank, rinse etc as necessary & put in some fresh gas.
4. New spark plugs
5. New battery

Then once I have it running
1. Check brake function & replace all fluid.
2. Check electrics
3. Ride it
4. Tell my Missus
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

New winter project? 16 Jun 2015 16:26 #676858

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
A little Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders comes to mind.
Steve

• Page: