Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 13:01 #690729

• blakeem
  • blakeem's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
It looks rough from sitting so I wouldn't pay that much for it. It's probably unbearably loud as well.

I did some more research and it seems that it was built in Spokane Washington. I found the website and blog of the guy that created it. He rebuilt the top end, rings, and honed the cylinders in April 2012 and I doubt many miles were put on it since then. He builds many custom bikes and put thousands of hours into this one. If it runs and handles well without any issues I'd pay about $2000 for it. The guy that built it also has a 1978 KZ 1428cc Turbocharged Drag Bike and many other KZ's so he seems to know what he's doing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 13:22 #690732

• jackleberry
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

blakeem wrote: It looks rough from sitting so I wouldn't pay that much for it. It's probably unbearably loud as well.

I did some more research and it seems that it was built in Spokane Washington. I found the website and blog of the guy that created it. He rebuilt the top end, rings, and honed the cylinders in April 2012 and I doubt many miles were put on it since then. He builds many custom bikes and put thousands of hours into this one. If it runs and handles well without any issues I'd pay about $2000 for it. The guy that built it also has a 1978 KZ 1428cc Turbocharged Drag Bike and many other KZ's so he seems to know what he's doing.

$2000 is getting a bit more reasonable, but it would still take a bundle to get that bike street worthy again. New exhaust (with muffler!) and an airbox are just the start.

OT: What is up with the cafe-racer fetish of having that big empty space in the middle of the frame anyway? This is one aspect of the cafe racer look that I just don't get.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 14:40 #690736

• blakeem
  • User

jackleberry wrote: $2000 is getting a bit more reasonable, but it would still take a bundle to get that bike street worthy again. New exhaust (with muffler!) and an airbox are just the start.

OT: What is up with the cafe-racer fetish of having that big empty space in the middle of the frame anyway? This is one aspect of the cafe racer look that I just don't get.

My project is going to have a big empty space in the middle of the frame just the same, although my bike's inspired by flat trackers. I like the lean stripped down look where everything that can be removed is removed. side covers and tabs are just more weight and removing them is cheaper than adding power and it improves handling and braking in the process. I ran pod filters on my KZ and I had no issues with them at all. I also ran straight pipe at one point and it was loud as hell so it would definitely need a muffler of some kind. I wouldn't get it unless I knew I could clean it up and sell it for more than I paid once my bike is complete.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 14:47 #690737

• jackleberry
  • User

blakeem wrote:

jackleberry wrote: $2000 is getting a bit more reasonable, but it would still take a bundle to get that bike street worthy again. New exhaust (with muffler!) and an airbox are just the start.

My project is going to have a big empty space in the middle of the frame just the same, although my bike's inspired by flat trackers. I like the lean stripped down look where everything that can be removed is removed. side covers and tabs are just more weight and removing them is cheaper than adding power and it improves handling and braking in the process. I ran pod filters on my KZ and I had no issues with them at all. I also ran straight pipe at one point and it was loud as hell so it would definitely need a muffler of some kind. I wouldn't get it unless I knew I could clean it up and sell it for more than I paid once my bike is complete.

Not to be rude, but I can take a dump and lose more weight than I could by cutting the side cover tabs off a frame. I seriously doubt it could improve performance. Having a big gap there could create more drag though... Just stick with the aesthetic reasons. Still can't say I get it, though. I have a friend with a cafe'd Honda CX500 who gets livid at the thought of having to put anything in that space. What's the point of having space if you can't use it?

If you can make the pods work, then more power to you. I live in Portland and ride year round, so I'm a bit biased against anything that doesn't work well soaking wet.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

1982 KZ1000p project progress 18 Sep 2015 15:34 #690748

• blakeem
  • User

jackleberry wrote: Not to be rude, but I can take a dump and lose more weight than I could by cutting the side cover tabs off a frame. I seriously doubt it could improve performance. Having a big gap there could create more drag though... Just stick with the aesthetic reasons. Still can't say I get it, though. I have a friend with a cafe'd Honda CX500 who gets livid at the thought of having to put anything in that space. What's the point of having space if you can't use it?

If you can make the pods work, then more power to you. I live in Portland and ride year round, so I'm a bit biased against anything that doesn't work well soaking wet.

I've saved over 5 lbs from side covers, tabs, that big metal box for the wiring, and the air box so you must take some mammoth dumps. I can weigh it all this weekend. Much more if you count everything else i removed. The fastest bike around the Nürburgring is still a 10 year old stock engine 2005 r1 with tabs and all the junk cut off it. I removed 30+ lbs from my sv650 track bike and the difference is dramatic. Every 5 lbs is noticeable and it adds up.

It would likely help aerodynamics by creating a low drag vortex like the dimples on a golf ball or the bed of a pickup truck. Not that I expect it to be aerodynamic, the thing is like a brick.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Sep 2015 03:38 #691135

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
i always thought the bike thats for sale would look real nice with a wrenchmonkees seat/tail piece
www.wrenchmonkees.com/webshop/seat-cowls...at-cowl-3-black.html
leveled out with the tank.

whatever you decide keep us posted,

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Sep 2015 07:55 #691183

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I also dont get the empty space thing. I know its very popular but to me it looks like the bike isnt finished. Im not going to have any space in mine as Ill be using the airbox and original battery/electrics set up to start with. Though if I did have the space,it would make a perfect place for a carry box for a bike lock, some bungees,a can of WD40, Gaffer tape and waterproofs.
Saving weight,I can understand on an R1 track bike but on an old Z ?.
Saying that,what youve done so far looks fantastic and Im sure its going to look great when its done, with or without a space under the seat.
Looking forward to it.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Sep 2015 13:57 #691236

• blakeem
  • User
I think I have most of the electronics stuff figured out.

I'm not sure if I need this rectifier, it appears to only be connected to turn signals and the hazard switch but I have no idea why. Does switching it to AC to make them flash or something?

I started on the piece of aluminum sheet where most of the electronics will mount under the seat.

Drilled some holes and mounted it up. I test fit some of the required electronics to get an idea where I could to put it all.

The regular/rectifier on the right, the igniter in the middle, and the starter solenoid on the left. I think this is all I need to wire up besides the m-unit.

I think I want to put the starter solenoid in the battery box that will contain a small lithium ion antigravity battery. I want to mount this here under the swingarm where the side stand used to go. I don't want it attached to the swingarm due to unsprung weight and vibration.

As for the ugly plastic rear brake reservoir I'm thinking of just using a clear tube like on some motogp bikes so I won't need to add a bracket. I should be able to pick up a kit that fits the GSXR rearsets.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Sep 2015 14:06 #691238

• jackleberry
  • User
The rectifier is there so that the hazards only flash the rear turn signals.
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)
The following user(s) said Thank You: blakeem

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Sep 2015 14:14 #691239

• jackleberry
  • User
Oh, and I'm not sure I'd want to mount a battery that can explode if punctured on the underside of the swingarm....
1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Sep 2015 14:21 #691242

• blakeem
  • User

jackleberry wrote: The rectifier is there so that the hazards only flash the rear turn signals.

Ahh I see now that it's only connected to the rear ones. I wonder why this is?

I also ordered some AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal Protector to treat the inside of the frame for rust. It was full of lots of brown water so I'm thinking that it should be sealed up or at least have a drain hole at the bottom of the tubes to stop standing water.

1982 KZ1000p project progress 21 Sep 2015 14:33 #691245

• blakeem
  • User

jackleberry wrote: Oh, and I'm not sure I'd want to mount a battery that can explode if punctured on the underside of the swingarm....

It will sit above the rear tube where I removed the center stand so I don't see how anything would hit it as long as it clears the swingarm. I never had anything hit the centerstand and this will sit higher than that and it will be protected inside a metal box. I could lay the battery on the side so it's lower profile.

Here's the one I used for my SV650 build to give you an idea of how small it is. This has plenty of amps to start the KZ.

Last edit: by blakeem.