Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 16 Apr 2014 22:51 #629373

• Polarbeezy
  • Polarbeezy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey guys, I just joined the forums a few days ago after buying my 1980 KZ750 (what I believe is an E). I picked this girl up off of craigslist for $350. It was bought buy some guy who had purchased it being told it ran the previous year and when he went to start the girl she wouldn't go. I was told that it would turn but it just wouldn't run and the guy I purchased it from started to do what I'm doing now (clean her up to run) and he just didn't have the time to do so. The shop it was at said the compression is good in the engine so I am hoping she is just a quick fix. It was laid down at least once but from what I have seen and a couple of mechanical friends and family of mine, the bike only suffered a dent in the tank and the headlight has a pretty good scuff. Everything else is in line and straight. I have the title and its the original so it's not a salvage (thank goodness). I have little to no experience mechanically other than assisting in changing my disk brakes, oil, spark plugs and changing my battery in my car. I have no bike experience at all, this is my first project and motorcycle, I want to get my hands dirty before attending school in the fall for powersport mechanics at SUNY Canton. I hope to meet some awesome people to guide me along here as I make this bike a daily runner. Right now as she stands, the bike was stored in a shop that wasn't exactly the cleanest so she has accumulated a lot of dust and dirt. I didn't try and start it because of how dirty she is and i'm going to clean her up first so when I do get to problem solving, it will go a lot smoother being able to identify what's really wrong. Right now I am thinking it's the carbs that need to be cleaned because after removing the air filter, my god... Alright, enough writing. This is what she looks like.

Attachment 20140407_102635_2014-04-17.jpg not found

Attachment 20140407_104512_2014-04-17.jpg not found

Attachment 20140407_104521_2014-04-17.jpg not found

Attachment 20140407_104537_2014-04-17.jpg not found

Attachment 20140407_110248_2014-04-17.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Polarbeezy. Reason: Inserting Pictures Below.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 16 Apr 2014 23:06 #629374

• lightitup
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
to give you a guide line on where to start always check for compression, fuel, and spark first. this will tell you whats going on with the bike. i would also change all spark plugs, fuel filter, oil and filter . then clean the carbs. check the chain, sprockets, and brakes.
81 kz 550 ltd

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 16 Apr 2014 23:19 #629375

• Polarbeezy
  • User

lightitup wrote: to give you a guide line on where to start always check for compression, fuel, and spark first. this will tell you whats going on with the bike. i would also change all spark plugs, fuel filter, oil and filter . then clean the carbs. check the chain, sprockets, and brakes.

Thanks Light, I have confirmed that the compression is good. Fuel tank is in really good shape on the inside, there is almost no rust. The fuel filter is gunked up, as well as the oil filter. The oil isn't the best but I have seen far worse. One spark plug was broken so I have to change it but I will replace all four just because that seems like the no brain thing to do. The chain and sprockets need to be soaked and cleaned too but other than that they look good. Brakes are shot in the back both pads and rotor.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 17 Apr 2014 05:55 #629390

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
The bike is a 750H Ltd, since it has chrome fenders n stuff, leading axle forks, & Ltd seat.
You can verify the model at Kawasaki.com by checking the VIN.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 17 Apr 2014 07:05 #629401

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
I'd go through the carbs straight away. You don't need "carb kits", contrary to popular legend, but you may need some new O-rings, which places like Z1 Enterprises sell. The factory service manual details the maintenance schedule, so I'd go down the list and make sure everything is taken care of. People often neglect valves so that's one of the critical checks. Also, the brake system fluid turns to sludge unless it's changed regularly, and the only way to properly clean the system is the take everything apart and clean from the inside out. Flushing doesn't get it so be prepared for some work.

Last edit: by Nessism.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 17 Apr 2014 11:07 #629414

• Polarbeezy
  • User

martin_csr wrote: The bike is a 750H Ltd, since it has chrome fenders n stuff, leading axle forks, & Ltd seat.
You can verify the model at Kawasaki.com by checking the VIN.

I have had issues with the vin. I tried using the vin but nothing came back on the kawasaki website or the DMV but I double and triple checked the vin on my bike and vin on my title match. Suggestions? Also, this may sound dumb but hang with me here, whats the difference between the 750h ltd and 750 ltd?

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 17 Apr 2014 14:53 #629431

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
Your bike is the 1980 KZ750-H1 LTD. To me it's a 750-4 Ltd chain drive. Aka 750H or 750-4 Ltd, 750Ltd-4 or however else you can think of to arrange the info. :laugh: But not to be confused w the 750E Standard models, 750-4 Shaft models or 750-Twin Ltd models.

As for verifying it, does your bike have a 17-digit VIN? I think some 1980 models don't, so in that case the vin lookup at Kawasaki.com won't work. The muffler stays indicate that your bike is a 1980 model. The later years' stays are recessed in the middle & painted black there.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 17 Apr 2014 15:22 #629433

• Polarbeezy
  • User

martin_csr wrote: Your bike is the 1980 KZ750-H1 LTD. To me it's a 750-4 Ltd chain drive. Aka 750H or 750-4 Ltd, 750Ltd-4 or however else you can think of to arrange the info. :laugh: But not to be confused w the 750E Standard models, 750-4 Shaft models or 750-Twin Ltd models.

As for verifying it, does your bike have a 17-digit VIN? I think some 1980 models don't, so in that case the vin lookup at Kawasaki.com won't work. The muffler stays indicate that your bike is a 1980 model. The later years' stays are recessed in the middle & painted black there.

It's only a 1980, title confirms that. It only has 12 digits so that would make sense as to why it's not coming up. So, when buying parts for my bike, I should be looking for 80 kz750 ltd or kz750h? Like I said before all of this stuff is new to me.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 17 Apr 2014 17:30 #629445

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Here's some info found at Z1 Enterprises.

www.z1enterprises.com

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 18 Apr 2014 01:21 #629480

• Polarbeezy
  • User

Patton wrote: Here's some info found at Z1 Enterprises.

www.z1enterprises.com

Patton, it is indeed a 1980 kz750 H-1. Thank you very much! Time to get to work now.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 11 May 2014 01:33 #632085

• Polarbeezy
  • User
Alright guys, I have cleaned everything and when I went to start my bike it sounds like the starter clutch is shot. I have narrowed it down based on pots in the engine forums. I have ordered a new starter clutch assembly since I have read people haven't had the best of luck with the repair kits. Now, I was wondering if there is a good 'how to' out there to help me uninstall and replace my current starter clutch? Any information or points into the right direction would be fantastic! Thanks!

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 11 May 2014 02:15 #632086

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Polarbeezy wrote: Alright guys, I have cleaned everything and when I went to start my bike it sounds like the starter clutch is shot. I have narrowed it down based on pots in the engine forums. I have ordered a new starter clutch assembly since I have read people haven't had the best of luck with the repair kits. Now, I was wondering if there is a good 'how to' out there to help me uninstall and replace my current starter clutch? Any information or points into the right direction would be fantastic! Thanks!

If needed, here's a manual download (starter clutch info begins on page 78).

To download, click here > kz.bike-night.com/media/GPz750-full.pdf

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: