Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 22 May 2014 23:16 #633592

• Polarbeezy
  • Polarbeezy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the help Patton. Is there a list that shows what parts are interchangeable with the KZ750H (1980) so when looking for new or used parts I know what will fit and what wont? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 23 May 2014 06:10 #633614

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
There is a cross-reference within the diagrams at Kawasaki.com.
Partzilla has a cross-ref as well, but it tends to lump too many bikes together in some cases.

Kawasaki.com -->> Owner Info -->> Parts diagrams -->> Search-by-Model-Info -->> pick a year only then choose a bike from the list. Click the part number then the yellow/black ? for the x-ref.

Your bike is most similar to the 80-83 KZ750-H & 81-83 KZ650-CSR. These models have virtually identical frames & share a number of parts. The other 750-4s have some of the same parts. Don't bother w the earlier 650s.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 23 May 2014 07:55 #633635

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Info on kawasaki.com includes parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/37...imitstart=0&start=20

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 23 May 2014 09:58 #633645

• lightitup
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
I have a few emails I could send you with a bunch of step by step pics I'm not sure if its a kz750 but it is a kz so it will give u the basics

I thought mine was going out on me but all I needed was a starter rebuild kit. Didn't have to even get into the starter cluch. Yet knock on wood
81 kz 550 ltd

Last edit: by lightitup.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 23 May 2014 22:18 #633727

• Polarbeezy
  • User

martin_csr wrote: There is a cross-reference within the diagrams at Kawasaki.com.
Partzilla has a cross-ref as well, but it tends to lump too many bikes together in some cases.

Kawasaki.com -->> Owner Info -->> Parts diagrams -->> Search-by-Model-Info -->> pick a year only then choose a bike from the list. Click the part number then the yellow/black ? for the x-ref.

Your bike is most similar to the 80-83 KZ750-H & 81-83 KZ650-CSR. These models have virtually identical frames & share a number of parts. The other 750-4s have some of the same parts. Don't bother w the earlier 650s.

Martin you are a life saver. This makes finding stuff so much easier, thank you!

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 23 May 2014 22:24 #633730

• Polarbeezy
  • User

lightitup wrote: I have a few emails I could send you with a bunch of step by step pics I'm not sure if its a kz750 but it is a kz so it will give u the basics

I thought mine was going out on me but all I needed was a starter rebuild kit. Didn't have to even get into the starter cluch. Yet knock on wood

Light im going to send you a PM with my email, I would love to see your step by step pictures.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 29 May 2014 01:05 #634397

• Polarbeezy
  • User
Alright, so if I wanted to attach a different set of mufflers to my pipes, would I just need to add the clamps or would I need to go further than that? I know that I might need to attach them somewhere other than where they would originally go. I am looking at urban brawlers (vance and hines) but I need more info. Any help or feedback would be awesome.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) --->>> the bike is a KZ750-H1 29 May 2014 06:19 #634419

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
my mistake.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 29 May 2014 07:22 #634426

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

Polarbeezy wrote: Alright, so if I wanted to attach a different set of mufflers to my pipes, would I just need to add the clamps or would I need to go further than that? I know that I might need to attach them somewhere other than where they would originally go. I am looking at urban brawlers (vance and hines) but I need more info. Any help or feedback would be awesome.

Is there a link available that points to the particular V&H "Urban Brawler" mufflers offered for a 1980 KZ750-E ?

Or is this a prospective fitment project where the desired mufflers aren't designed for the bike at hand?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 29 May 2014 22:43 #634568

• Polarbeezy
  • User

Patton wrote:

Polarbeezy wrote: Alright, so if I wanted to attach a different set of mufflers to my pipes, would I just need to add the clamps or would I need to go further than that? I know that I might need to attach them somewhere other than where they would originally go. I am looking at urban brawlers (vance and hines) but I need more info. Any help or feedback would be awesome.

Is there a link available that points to the particular V&H "Urban Brawler" mufflers offered for a 1980 KZ750-E ?

Or is this a prospective fitment project where the desired mufflers aren't designed for the bike at hand?

Patton, this would be a fitment project for mufflers that were not designed for the kz750. They are designed for the Yamaha R6 and the Ninjas

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 30 May 2014 11:08 #634642

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
As I understand the stock exhaust system on a 1980 KZ750-E, it's 4 into 2, with the left 2 header pipes entering a collector, and the right 2 header pipes entering another collector, with the two collectors being connected by a cross-over pipe.

Am uncertain, but the stock exhaust system appears to have each outside header permanently attached to the collector, and the collector permanently attached to the muffler. Whereby cutting would be required to separate the header from the collector. And cutting would be required to separate the muffler from the collector.

If the stock exhaust system is in decent condition, would consider not doing any cutting on it, as cutting would destroy its market value.

V&H Urban Brawler
www.discount-moto-direct.com/vance-hines...6-2012/#.U4jBeShZiSo

Is it contemplated that the urban brawlers will be clamped onto the stock collectors? Or will new collectors be fashioned?

Mounting tabs will likely also need to be created for each urban brawler muffler.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

1980 KZ 750 (E?) Fixer (Picture Heavy) 04 Jun 2014 22:24 #635407

• Polarbeezy
  • User
Double post :P
Attachments:

Last edit: by Polarbeezy.