TOPIC:

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 18 Feb 2014 12:27 #622682

• kawiman636
  • kawiman636's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

650ed wrote:

LarryC wrote:
......From the picture, I don't see any worries with that top tree. The bulk of generated forces will be carried by the lower tree, through the stem, into the frame. Cutting the little nubs off where gauges mounted isn't going to make them weaker.........

Cutting the little gauge nubs isn't what would concern me. But boring those huge holes in the tree where there is no re-enforcement like there is where the fork tubes pass through scares the heck outta me. I wouldn't trust it at all. Ed

Thanks guys! This project isnt goint to be done overnight, thats for sure, so before its dont I might have a steel upper tripple tree made that has the holes in it like the one I modified. I figure this will make sure there are no problems. When I cut the holes I didnt think it would weaken it much since it wasnt cutting the support ribs but now everyone has me second guessing it haha. Ill prolly have the steel one made to give me piece of mind. Next up thought is some tank modification. I had an idea to put a flush mount gas cap on and Leon told me he had already done it and I love the way his looks.

Here is a picture of his.

Attachment 42171.jpg not found

Currently riding:2006 Kawasaki 636
Current project: 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 18 Feb 2014 12:31 #622683

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

650ed wrote:

LarryC wrote:
......From the picture, I don't see any worries with that top tree. The bulk of generated forces will be carried by the lower tree, through the stem, into the frame. Cutting the little nubs off where gauges mounted isn't going to make them weaker.........

Cutting the little gauge nubs isn't what would concern me. But boring those huge holes in the tree where there is no re-enforcement like there is where the fork tubes pass through scares the heck outta me. I wouldn't trust it at all. Ed

How the Hell did I miss seeing that Ed :ohmy: YEP...that is a big concern. Scrap that tree and get another.

I don't understand why you cut it in the first place. If it's to stick a gauge in it, the gauge will be at a hard angle to read don't you think?
Larry C.

Last edit: by LarryC.

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 18 Feb 2014 12:49 #622686

• kawiman636
  • User

LarryC wrote: How the Hell did I miss seeing that Ed :ohmy: YEP...that is a big concern. Scrap that tree and get another.

I don't understand why you cut it in the first place. If it's to stick a gauge in it, the gauge will be at a hard angle to read don't you think?

Yes its for the gauges, and they are actually very easy to read at that angle. They are bright led gauges. Ill prolly have a steel one made to replace the aluminum one.

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 18 Feb 2014 13:23 #622691

• NakedFun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
Why make one out of steel? If you were to get another top triple, just cleanly mount those gauges using a nice aluminum mount. No point I creating a steel tree....

Edit: I understand so you can still add the gauges into the tree, but you need to look at the triple like an I beam. The material is cast into a shape that accepts the forces normally experience in the front suspension of a bike. The ribs that are left are design to prevent vertical flexing that is in line with the forks. The plane of the material you cut are to resist forces that are perpendicular to the fork motion. If the fork was to try and twist in the lower triple like the front wheel striking a pothole at speed, the forces will be applied right to the triple where your gauge is mounted, bike momentum being transmitted through the steering stem portion while the forks transit out at the end of the triple in the opposite direction. Those hole are right where the forces would meet. Steel or not, emulating your current design with steel, not enough material to safety support IMHO.

Cory
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Last edit: by NakedFun.

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 18 Feb 2014 14:15 #622695

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
Great bike build.

On the triple tree. it's a death trap a suicide rap.

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 18 Feb 2014 14:31 #622696

• Dumont
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Take a look at aftermarket triple trees. On my Monster the triple is completely hollow where you have bored yours. Of course it was DESIGNED with this intention unlike the stock one.

i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx11/scooter..._466_zps206c75da.jpg
78 KZ650(Project)
09 Monster 1100s
07 Monster S2R1000 sold
97 Daytona T595 sold
95 KX250 sold
82 GPz 550 sold
87 Ninja ZX10r sold
79 KZ650csr sold
82 CR250 sold

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 18 Feb 2014 14:32 #622698

• NakedFun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
"we have to get out while we're young, 'cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run!"

So i have an idea to get the look you are going for. This maybe hard for me to explain, but bear with me.... What if you got another stock upper triple tree. Mount that, and then suck your forks up above the top triple tree the thickness amount of the triple. Then take your triple you already fitted your gauges into, and lay it on top of the new triple. The fork caps should be flush with the top of it. Now mark out the center of the triple, where you could cut it out, leaving the "wings" of the modified triple to act as gauge pods. Then, since your seem to TIG well, weld them along with a filler piece for the end to the top of your new triple on the bottom. It will give a gull wing appearance, with the center dropped where the steering stem comes through. I can draw it out where it all makes sense...... It will keep it structurally sound, yet give the look you are after.

cory
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 18 Feb 2014 14:35 #622699

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
:laugh:

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 18 Feb 2014 16:07 #622705

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

NakedFun wrote: "we have to get out while we're young, 'cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run!"

So i have an idea to get the look you are going for. This maybe hard for me to explain, but bear with me.... What if you got another stock upper triple tree. Mount that, and then suck your forks up above the top triple tree the thickness amount of the triple. Then take your triple you already fitted your gauges into, and lay it on top of the new triple. The fork caps should be flush with the top of it. Now mark out the center of the triple, where you could cut it out, leaving the "wings" of the modified triple to act as gauge pods. Then, since your seem to TIG well, weld them along with a filler piece for the end to the top of your new triple on the bottom. It will give a gull wing appearance, with the center dropped where the steering stem comes through. I can draw it out where it all makes sense...... It will keep it structurally sound, yet give the look you are after.

cory

Excellent idea Cory.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 19 Feb 2014 00:32 #622736

• kawiman636
  • User

NakedFun wrote: "we have to get out while we're young, 'cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run!"

cory

Thanks for the ideas! Yeah, when I cut the holes in it I didnt really think about how the forces would be applied to it. I really do want to keep the gauges flush mounted so Ive been thinking about it today and drew up a triple tree design that is solid rather than having pockets and ribs like the stock triple tree clamp. This design, made out of steel, should be more than strong enough to withstand any forces generated on it. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. Its pretty beefy so it will be much heavier than the stock one but the added weight is an acceptable trade off for the piece of mind and safety.

Attachment TripleTreeDesign.jpg not found

Attachment TripleTreeDesign2.jpg not found

Attachments:

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 19 Feb 2014 00:40 #622737

• kawiman636
  • User
Figured Id add these two pictures too. They show the new material thickness above and below the gauge holes.
Overall triple tree thickness = .900" Solid
Above hole = .710"
Below hole = .870"

Attachment 1.jpg not found

Attachment 2.jpg not found

Attachments:

Last edit: by kawiman636.

My take on a KZ1000 Cafe 19 Feb 2014 01:21 #622738

• kawiman636
  • User

cory

BTW, It took me a little bit to visualize what you are describing but I think Ive got it. Seems like it would be a good idea but my gauges extend past the bottom of the triple tree unfortunately so the stock one wouldnt be able to set up against it.

Attachment IMAG0690-1.jpg not found

Attachments: