Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 06 Dec 2011 13:57 #491884

• royalratch
  • royalratch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
Just a quick note to let you all know I'm still here.

Have been busy with work but have some quality alone time with booked in with the bike.

Story so far:

Sourced a new engine to go in - I figured I might as well go all out and have found a good condition 83 GPZ 750 UniTrac motor which has higher lift cams, bigger valves and some light porting as standard - so a better base motor to throw the 810 kit into. Hoping for 90bhp after it's all done.

Have a set of tweaked out Mikuni BS34 CV carbs with K&N pod filters on order with wiredgeorge who has been awesome with the help. A lot of people have said to go with flatslides but I'm willing to sacrifice throttle response for smoothness - I doubt there'll be much in it either way.

Final major part after that is the custom Stainless Steel exhaust - then I'll have every thing I need to build a running bike. The guy building it though has just said he can make them in Titanium! And as we ALL know, EVERY bike should have some Ti on it...lol

Custom clip-on mounts also being machined with integral headlamp mount to keep the front uber clean.

And frame bracing and other tweaks almost done too.

What I've been doing in the meantime is make a custom loom with just the bare essentials present - no clocks, blinkers or ignition barrel. I'm planning to go with a new style Lithium-Ion battery (not a race battery) that weighs just 1,5KG with the same power as a stock battery.

But I'm really into continuing the minimalism thing and going with a race battery, kick start and ditch the starter motor which will simplify the loom even more and save the weight of the battery AND start - which is not a lightweight item. Plus starting a bike by kick is still cool.

Have to see if this new motor can do the kickstart thing and also how to use keyless remote with kickstart...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by royalratch.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 06 Dec 2011 14:59 #491890

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
that sound pretty cool but i wonder about not using the stator to recharge the battery?
it would make your trips rather short wouldn't it. and i have heard the lithium bats like a good charging system. i dont know much about them but if u haven't checked already? it wouldnt hurt to look into there likes and dislikes as far as charging goes.
good luck
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 06 Dec 2011 15:27 #491895

• T_Dub
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
As far as kickstarting goes, you're out of luck with a GPz750 engine. They don't come with kickstarters.

Everything looks great!
1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 07 Dec 2011 06:42 #491997

• royalratch
  • User
You're half right - according to my research.

Kickstart internals are all present but there's no hole in the outer casing for the kick arm.

So either bore a hole or use a kickstart enabled 750 case.

I can even use my keyless start with a kickstart!

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 07 Dec 2011 08:52 #492006

• royalratch
  • User

mark1122 wrote: that sound pretty cool but i wonder about not using the stator to recharge the battery?
it would make your trips rather short wouldn't it. and i have heard the lithium bats like a good charging system. i dont know much about them but if u haven't checked already? it wouldnt hurt to look into there likes and dislikes as far as charging goes.
good luck

?

I meant junking the starter not the stator.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 20 Dec 2011 18:29 #494000

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
very nice work man, compliments

dont want to disappoint you but 90 hp at the rear wheel is where I am at currently with my road racer: wiseco 810 kit, 13:1 CR, very tight squish built in, andrews cams, 29mm Keihin CR's. And that's a pretty high strung race motor, certainly not for street use. It was dynoed on a fuchs dyno that tends to give lower numbers than a dynojet and it was running quite rich, but that's life!

I think that with the kit's 10.5:1, 80-something would be a much more reasonable number to expect, but you are welcome to surprise me!

just for the record, original GPZ750's were dynoed at 68 rwhp.

keep up the good work!

TG

Last edit: by turboguzzi.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 21 Dec 2011 20:01 #494215

• royalratch
  • User
Thanks for the info dude.

I'm in the UK and we always measure BHP at the motor so you're about right with 80 at the wheel.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 21 Dec 2011 21:12 #494234

• Boostable
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Bike is looking great, gonna be one hellova machine!!!
~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 22 Dec 2011 00:15 #494250

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109

royalratch wrote:

mark1122 wrote: that sound pretty cool but i wonder about not using the stator to recharge the battery?
good luck

?

I meant junking the starter not the stator.

sorry, i must have been a little sleepy when i read that.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 22 Feb 2012 00:06 #505587

• Mine20
  • User
  • Metric Maniac
  • Thank you received: 2
MOAR PLEASE!!
2007 Honda Shadow Custom
1978 Kawasaki kz650c2 cafe project
1979 Kawasaki 650sr possible bobber project

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 22 Feb 2012 14:31 #505666

• sweetbro
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Woah! This thing is amazing! I will admit, I did not read every post. Where did you get the horn/highbeam switch? I would love to get a set up like that with horn/turnsignal.

Your build is amazing tho. I have a 79 kz650 that I hope to do something similar with.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 20 Mar 2012 16:11 #510865

• Minus32
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

royalratch wrote: Cheers guys - I could have rushed it out to get riding but it's not the way. I'll probably only get the time and patience to do this kind of build once - so may as well do it right.

That's exactly my take on a project too mate.

Lovin' your build, and certainly taking some inspiration from it. I'm personally trying to keep a more classic look with my project, but want to incorporate the M-Unit and possibly a wire wheel set up. Those fat stainless spokes just look simply awesome.

Keep up the good work pal.
1977 KZ650 American Import - A Street Tracker in the making...