Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 29 May 2011 10:44 #454142

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
the bike is looking KILLER.
the only part that doesnt fit, is the tank being high at the front. the lines just dont match.
not trying to be a wise ass, just something that stands out, to me.
she's going to be a beauty.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 29 May 2011 10:57 #454145

• royalratch
  • royalratch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
At the moment I just raised the front which is why it looks tilted at a weird angle. When I get it is raised at an even level it will work out. I want that hi tank look. Like so...

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 29 May 2011 11:10 #454149

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
It's your bike so put the tank where you like it. However, I think it looks much better in the lower position. That high tank looks like it was added as an afterthought rather than part of a homogeneous design. Not to mention - why raise the center of gravity (gas is heavy) if you're interested in a good handling bike? :blink:
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 29 May 2011 11:46 #454158

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it

royalratch wrote: At the moment I just raised the front which is why it looks tilted at a weird angle. When I get it is raised at an even level it will work out. I want that hi tank look. Like so...

Good call. that looks better when its level. if u follow the same line with the seat the line will flow nice. B)
that reminds me of a Roland Sands bike. very nice.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 29 May 2011 13:13 #454175

• royalratch
  • User

650ed wrote: It's your bike so put the tank where you like it. However, I think it looks much better in the lower position. That high tank looks like it was added as an afterthought rather than part of a homogeneous design. Not to mention - why raise the center of gravity (gas is heavy) if you're interested in a good handling bike? :blink:

It's only being raised by an inch. Besides, I may just raise the roof of the tank and keep all else as stock. As with all things, a balance between looks, handling and comfort is the goal - in that order lol.

I photoshopped this pic to correct the tank angle and show more accurately what it will end up like.

Last edit: by royalratch.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 31 May 2011 09:33 #454474

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797

royalratch wrote:

650ed wrote: It's your bike so put the tank where you like it. However, I think it looks much better in the lower position. That high tank looks like it was added as an afterthought rather than part of a homogeneous design. Not to mention - why raise the center of gravity (gas is heavy) if you're interested in a good handling bike? :blink:

It's only being raised by an inch. Besides, I may just raise the roof of the tank and keep all else as stock. As with all things, a balance between looks, handling and comfort is the goal - in that order lol.

I photoshopped this pic to correct the tank angle and show more accurately what it will end up like.

this pic reminds me of an aggressive lil bull standing there waiting to charge something.i think it gets the look like you want.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 28 Aug 2011 14:48 #472335

• royalratch
  • User
Not much actual progress but thought I'd post some pics of a recent parts fest that I scored on a trip to the US, so it feels like I'm making some progress.

First off, all the engine electronics bits are present so I can now make my loom from scratch.

Dyna-S Ignition.

Dyna Coils (Green).

New ElectroSport regulator and stator, more output / efficient than the old stuff and more reliable too.

Brand new original Spark advancer - chuffed.

Some ultra-pimp HT leads that but I want to terminate them in the classic NGK socket and not sure I can - plus they make be too a little short. Not cheap either.

And a really nice 750 barrel - better than what I had planned.

MotoGadget M-Unit to control it all, along with keyless ignition lock. I can't recommend MotoGadget stuff enough it's very hi-quality stuff.

The only switchgear up front is this for Horn and Hi-Beam - no clocks.

Got a nice small headlamp - good quality with damped mounts and wide grommeted opening. Will be painted black.

Custom 36T Rear Sprocket - am, going 520 on the chain.

Selection of test fit 15T and 16T countershafts sprockets. The one that was on the engine is a 17T but stock was 13T/14T?
I need to run at least a 15T and possibly a 16T to get close to normal drive with the 36T rear.

And some quick tests to check chain clearance. Someone mentioned larger sprockets fouling something - did they mean the the guard strip or the actual outer casing?

Main worry is if it will clear the swingarm pivot area. Perhaps a nylon roller plate or something?

Looks like a lot od space but with the swinger moving up and down too...?

Looks straight but how to know for sure...?

So that's where I am. Swingarm and frame back to welder tp get that sorted and some small bits and pieces CNC machined and then it's ready when the engine is. please weigh in if you spot any potential issues as I'm basically winging it!

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 29 Aug 2011 03:26 #472480

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
Great work! This will be a phenomenal bike!
2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 29 Aug 2011 13:52 #472534

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
  • Thank you received: 19
I love the look of the gold Talon hubs and black excel wheels.... if I could get Talon to make a hub for a single sided swingarm, I'd switch to spoke wheels :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Regarding your chain alignment; Yes, when you pull a string from sprocket to sprocket, it will look straight. What you'll want to do is get a straight edge on the face of the sprockets, and make sure the two line up. I used a line laser lined up on my rear sprocket to measure the offset needed for the front, but you could do the same to see of your sprockets indeed line up. Excellent work so far, I like the look you're going for B)
Adam
FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 29 Aug 2011 14:23 #472552

• mtbspeedfreak
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36

porchev914 wrote: I love the look of the gold Talon hubs and black excel wheels.... if I could get Talon to make a hub for a single sided swingarm, I'd switch to spoke wheels :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Regarding your chain alignment; Yes, when you pull a string from sprocket to sprocket, it will look straight. What you'll want to do is get a straight edge on the face of the sprockets, and make sure the two line up. I used a line laser lined up on my rear sprocket to measure the offset needed for the front, but you could do the same to see of your sprockets indeed line up. Excellent work so far, I like the look you're going for B)
Adam

Oh a laser for alignment, never thought of that! I like it!
2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 31 Aug 2011 04:38 #473163

• ragnarok
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow... that's all i can say.. wow.

Z650 Café Fighter Chopper thing 31 Aug 2011 08:56 #473192

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
Lasers are cool, but i think a simple straight edge is easier to work with and to get a measurement from.
Make sure the wheel axle is parallel to the swing arm pivot axle first.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.