Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 04 Mar 2010 15:38 #351295

• trianglelaguna
  • trianglelaguna's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
it makes me sad to see it there too...some guys love to work on em...i have my good days ....but prefer to ride em...speaking of riding.....just did the loop and up to the track...buncha porshces and a few bmw's and a acura ferrari looking thing....ahhhhh the smell of race fuel......

once again i seem to just lack the starter motor....i will need to get a key made ,but have researched that and seems easy enough to get done local.....i may try and have it assembled to the best of my ability by july and then let the guys who make the motogp trip gvet drunk and try and see if it wil start.....

i would like this one to be era mods...superbike...someday....no hurry....i've seen em done with modern upgrades,seems my route,,seeing as that ELR..S-1 stuff is mega bucks.....it could probably do track days just stripped and sorted out handling wise.....
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 10:01 #352200

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Have u tried Ebay for a starter? u just might get lucky and find 1 there.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 11:07 #352209

• trianglelaguna
  • User
yes i have and i am watching the 81---forward starters keenly...since it is a project that is'nt in a hurry at present to get going...i am doing the "watch- and -pass-"if it starts going above a number i know they can be had for....ebay is where i got about all of the 20 or so little hard to find things that had been lost as it sat around the R.I.P owners widows sheds....

for some weired reason i always seem to get bid out whenever i do a watch on em....i'll get one....

key
battery
starter and a timset on a cam journal cap...i know...iknow...the cam bolts strip easy...wanna know how i know...actually -may have been boogered before i lossened it to check stuff......

biggest problem is motivation and knowing where all the j stuff gets plugged,bolted,and where....
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 11:12 #352213

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
Hang in there. it will all come together.
Good luck.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 11:16 #352214

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
  • Thank you received: 3
trianglelaguna wrote:

timset on a cam journal cap...i know...iknow...the cam bolts strip easy...wanna know how i know...actually -may have been boogered before i lossened it to check stuff......

biggest problem is motivation and knowing where all the j stuff gets plugged,bolted,and where....

Keep in mind that your manual says 12 foot pounds for those bolts on the cam towers...apparently that is a typo that I found out the hard way.

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 11:22 #352215

• keith1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
trianglelaguna wrote:

yes i have and i am watching the 81---forward starters keenly...since it is a project that is'nt in a hurry at present to get going...i am doing the "watch- and -pass-"if it starts going above a number i know they can be had for....ebay is where i got about all of the 20 or so little hard to find things that had been lost as it sat around the R.I.P owners widows sheds....

for some weired reason i always seem to get bid out whenever i do a watch on em....i'll get one....

key
battery
starter and a timset on a cam journal cap...i know...iknow...the cam bolts strip easy...wanna know how i know...actually -may have been boogered before i lossened it to check stuff......

i have 2 or 3 starters hanging around you could have but unfortunately they are 73-80 ones

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 13:47 #352241

• will61310
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I'd still like to see a better picture of it.....:)
...1980 LTD 1000...

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 14:07 #352253

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
Or tip toucher central. :P Old Man Rock wrote:

while patton and omr are at the submarine nationals

Beats you two at Cork-Screw mountain..... :laugh:

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 14:18 #352258

• trianglelaguna
  • User
i feel bad that i have stopped working on this project...and i bumped this thread only to keep track of it for my own self...thank you for showing some interest guys...it really makes me feel better about reviving my slackened proj....

graveyard shift and some much needed rains ----are slowing an already procrastinator down....

Although the third shift and awesome rain... means some needed cash flow for aquiring the finishing pieces to my upcoming re-do by GP 76kz ...and the few missing pieces to the 1000j puzzle and some really nice green hiils and flowered weather coming soon to the central coast......which always helps to have longer sun days and dust off winters projects

i will assemble the pieces on J and roll it out for some mock up(not bolted down) direction i'm heading shots.....

i have always wanted an 81 kz1000j standard,not to clone a poormans elr..plenty of those around and a bit tacky or played out...and big bucks for the goodies to do a proper clone....or to screw into some catastrophe on wheels with a five color drunk job on it......
i want a clean stripped down gloss black whith white decals....and simple effective era correct superbike tricks.....somthing that will be able to do some 75% track days but also have a license plate,keys, and lights....

This first yr 100j standard fell in my lap....the R.I.P -p.o was doing the same thing i was after, and most stuff still has wrappers from coming back from the painters or polishers....it was his last project before passing according to his very sweet widow...who said that"she knew it would be someone like him(us)who would come answer the add"he passed suddenly about 11 years ago...
the the fuel sending guage under the tank is still masked off and oversprayed so i know he never got it running before passing...........over the yrs things went missing...it was moved around a bit...she had finally decided it was o.k to let it be sold....igave her the exact advertised amount...and she said thanks..put it in her pocket...and told me i could have the fire damaged 73-900 for a dollar....we came back and loaded up...on our last trip..i asked if she would like to see it some day if it got running...she said she thought that would be nice and to bring it by....she mentioned her man had been on the cover of cycle world...in a dust cloud with a giant buch of racers on the old barstow dessert race...

thanks guys...photos this weekend....

i will motivate and buy the remaining few things by april and i will take better pics by this weekend out in the sunlight mocked up....thanks for the support and nudges...i am really suprised and touched...i would like to hear this run by the motogp...saxonkz's sidekick yianni
is a master mechanic and i hope to have it turn key by july23 GP...maybe he can help me sort it out one night for few minutes...peace craig
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 14:37 #352263

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
...i am really suprised and touched... (tip touched???) I KNEW IT i would like to hear this run by the motogp...saxonkz's sidekick yianni
is a master mechanic (better than being a master baiter) and i hope to have it turn key by july23 GP...maybe he can help me sort it out (sort it out?) one night (it's always just one night man) for few minutes (15 minutes?)...peace Peace? or Piece... craig[/quote] Craigy Pooh where are you???:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :woohoo:
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Last edit: by saxjonz.

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 14:47 #352265

• trianglelaguna
  • User
hey fag..how ya been...hows the snow..hahahaahahahahaah

flowers blooming here..got the windows open...
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

tri's kz1000j project thread.....&updates 09 Mar 2010 15:38 #352273

• cccampbe
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Do you still have the shocks? I assume they will fit a kz550. 13" right? If so how much would you take for them