• TexasKZ
  • TexasKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, calum, Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Well this looks interesting 18 Sep 2022 16:47 #874085

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503
That's very cool.  The  Honda B18C5 sounds pretty accurate when the VTEC kicks in.  It would be cool to also add the variable length intake from the Integra GSR.  Unfortunately the B18 isn't in the set of example engine files in the download zip.

I wonder what it would take to model the kz1000.  I'll bet it can't simulate the whine of the straight cut primary gear.  :)
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Well this looks interesting 22 Sep 2022 06:15 #874243

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 503
Did anyone else download this?  I wasted a bunch of time.  :)  There is almost no documentation, not even comments in the code, and the example engines don't include a 4-cylinder so I had to figure out how to redefine the crankshaft and the camshafts.  That is, I had to define the angel of each crank throw and the angle of each cam lobe.  Fun stuff!  But I got that worked out. 

There are still a bunch of things I don't understand about the inputs.  For some I can't figure out if I'm using the correct units, and in some cases I think the model is a bit limited.  For example, it's not clear if the sim can support 4 carburetors.  It seems like it assumes there is always a common intake manifold with a plenum and runners.  I tried to figure out all the various dimensions for a KZ1000, and I think most of them are close.  It turns Larry Cavanaugh posted a ton of valuable data to KzRider.  I also updated the model for the "vehicle" and the transmission ratios, so it should do a fair approximation of running it up through the gears.

It has a dyno feature, and I can't get it to give results that seem "right".  It makes the most power with the smallest cam, and big cams lose power.  But overall it seems to be close-ish with the numbers I have.

In the end it was just intended to be an audio simulator, but it doesn't sound very "KZ" to me.  There are a small set of predefined "exhaust" sound options, and which of these is selected seems to have more of an impact on the sound than most of the detailed engine parameters.  It really just makes me want to get my hands on a real engine simulator, like Dynomation or something similar, and model a KZ1000 in that.  www.motionsoftware.com/Dynomation6.htm

For anyone who wants to play with this, the precompiled EXE file comes from here:  www.engine-sim.parts/

Click "Download" in the top right corner of this page, expand "Assets" and click on the build zip file. Extract the zip, open the "bin" folder, start "engine-sim-app.exe", and you're off to the races!

This page has some simple instructions about how to operate the simulator:  github.com/ange-yaghi/engine-sim

I've attached a zip file with my KZ engine file, along with the sim config file "main.mr".  If you put those two files in the correct folders, and find the EXE file, it should load and run.

Put the files in my zip here:
*\engine-sim-build_0_1_10a\assets\main.mr
*\engine-sim-build_0_1_10a\assets\engines\kaw\kz.mr

Then run this file:
*\engine-sim-build_0_1_10a\bin\engine-sim-app.exe

File Attachment:

File Name: kz1000-sim.zip
File Size:4 KB
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Attachments:

Well this looks interesting 22 Sep 2022 06:48 #874244

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 515
OK! Now these videos are cool! I remember these from years ago.
briggs & stratton engine firing with clear head!
With different fuels.
There are plenty of other vids like this out there.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Last edit: by z1kzonly.
  • Page: