Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Irritated. 27 May 2021 21:13 #849096

• ghostdive
  • ghostdive's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
I haven't been on the forum long, maybe a year tops, but I've noticed that there seem to be a few "types" of members - and most types are pretty helpful and interesting, whether it's showing us their projects or helping out others that are stuck. 

One type, however, seems to primarily be concerned with being "correct". I don't mean in the context of helping with proper restoration, I mean just...a general need to be "victorious". I don't see the point - we all need all the help we can get, and most of the active membership is getting on in years, so why step on each other?

I'm just tired of it, and I'm getting too old to be mad at people online. I won't be 24 forever. 
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Irritated. 28 May 2021 04:48 #849107

• 73z1
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103
I post on four boards, there are three types.
There are a few that come to help others, that is their mission.
There are many that come for help.
There are a few that are mean.

>>>>>>>>>>>I'm just tired of it, and I'm getting too old to be mad at people online. I won't be 24 forever. 
Not sure this is humor  but it is funny.

Last edit: by 73z1.

Irritated. 28 May 2021 05:35 #849110

• Pagala
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I've been on the internet for a long time. Since the 90s!
I don't think forum culture has really changed at all. Mostly places that blend "social network" with discussion forum (e.g. Quora/Reddit) tend to enforce certain viewpoints, and this results in disingenuousness and outright lies. Try admitting that you don't care about people you don't know, on Reddit, for example. They (the social network generation) just don't tolerate certain truths being expressed. Oh, they'll hold them in secret, of course. They just won't say them. Is that really what you want from other people?

The strengths of forums like these is that people have a common interest. Some will be arrogant. Some may not seem to be arrogant. However, with skill comes a certain pride. Just as a stupidly basic example, I remember wrestling with my first tyre changes. Up until that point, I'd always taken them to a tyre fitter. But replacing the tyres was tricky, there was a knack I hadn't acquired, and it was frustrating. Now, I can do one within an hour (even on a larger tubeless type) with my rudimentary setup. So if I see someone asking for the best way to fit a tyre at home, I feel quite entitled to put my ore in and tell them when they're wrong. I may also feel better than them, in numerous ways. That's just human nature. right or wrong.

I also remember being 24. That lasted a long time (i.e. the feeling of being in your mid-20s tends to stretch on a bit). I remember wanting to be respected for my achievements, such as they were up to that time. Not much - mostly educational, and just good, not brilliant. However, when you're 24 you sometimes fail to see that just about everyone has more experience than you in most things. Plus you need their respect and recognition. Meanwhile you're going flat-out playing catch-up, trying to develop a career and establish yourself as an adult.

When you're older you will have joined so many forums and known so many "friends" from work or social or whatever, that whenever you join a new one the people there won't seem as important to you as they do now. You might even just sign up for one to get help for your bike, and only check up on it once a week or so.

Hope this helps to put things in perspective.
1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶
1981 Kawasaki Z440 (KZ440C1)

Last edit: by Pagala.

Irritated. 28 May 2021 06:55 #849114

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611

ghostdive post=849096I haven't been on the forum long, maybe a year tops, but I've noticed that there seem to be a few "types" of members - and most types are pretty helpful and interesting, whether it's showing us their projects or helping out others that are stuck. 

One type, however, seems to primarily be concerned with being "correct". I don't mean in the context of helping with proper restoration, I mean just...a general need to be "victorious". I don't see the point - we all need all the help we can get, and most of the active membership is getting on in years, so why step on each other?

I'm just tired of it, and I'm getting too old to be mad at people online. I won't be 24 forever. 

Don't really know how to respond to this but I'll try. You'll find this is one of the cleanest sites online. It takes a lot of work from a dedicated staff and our members. Have a complaint hit the report button. It happens less and less as it was in the past thanks to the changes made by our leader. See something you don't like report it or scroll on.
On a page I Admin. on FB we get reports from new members that don't like a reply they got and more often than not the reply stays and the RP winds up being removed. This is not like FB where it's a free for all as is on some Kawasaki pages where the owners are hungry for members or too lazy to police it so anything goes. We have modeled the KZMarket after this site. We're not as tolerant as here so troublemakers disappear never to return sooner. 
I guess it's part of human nature to be the way they are but that's what rules are made for. 
BTW, it must have been a typo but if not I stopped being 2 64 years ago. 

Steve

Irritated. 28 May 2021 16:31 #849149

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
To be honest, I think 24 year olds spend far to much time online, it becomes their life at times,  and I find it leads to a false sense of being, you are exposed to opinions you usually wouldn't get in a face to face situation and then spend far to much time over analyzing every word. Then there's the older guys that never typed a bloody thing until they were well past "24", they are used to communicating by 1 on 1 , or group conversations where nuances are picked up visually, and quick corrections or examples avoid misunderstanding, this can be far harder to convey online, everyone reads their own emotions into what they read online, this leads to misunderstanding . I much prefer to talk to people directly. Everyone is different, its much easier to see that in person and act accordingly.
I should also add, we have members from all over the world, i see lots of "lost in translation" moments on forums where people get annoyed with a response where no offense was intended, patience grasshopper.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, SWest

Last edit: by 750 R1.

Irritated. 28 May 2021 18:09 #849151

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I don't know how I could have misread his last comment.   Looking back to 24 I was bumping my head at every turn. At 25 my son was born and that changed everything. It wasn't just about me anymore. I got more serious about life and who I had in it. 
Steve

Irritated. 28 May 2021 18:38 #849153

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
Apologies if you consider me one of the "correct" ones.  I certainly don't intend to be one but one of the harder things to do on chat forums is to convey one's true personality through words, and one never knows how others are interpreting what you write.  I don't see a whole lot of correct types here, which is one of the reasons I participate.  Some of the most experienced vintage Kawasaki people in the world attend this forum and I'm grateful for their comments, be they on my threads or on any other.  

Life is a learning process that never stops.  Maybe that's why at our age we tend to smile knowingly when a 24 yr old who thinks he knows everything tries to explain what he knows, thereby exposing what he doesn't know.  Despite that I enjoy listening to young people.  They have a right to be idealistic.  Like fledgling birds they flap their wings as if to say "Hello world!  I'm here to change you!"  OK, fine.  We were all like that at one time, wearing paisley shirts and bell bottom jeans with our sideburns and long hair.  Like Steve says that all fades away when you have children and they depend on you for their wellbeing. 

My advice is don't sweat the petty stuff.  Live each moment as if it will never return.  Because it won't.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Irritated. 28 May 2021 18:56 #849154

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
You refer  to HE..  Ghostdive

She is a SHE

Not that I care , but  looked it up today with all the attention  

Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Irritated. 28 May 2021 19:54 #849156

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 378

My advice is don't sweat the petty stuff. 

And don't pet the sweaty stuff.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Irritated. 28 May 2021 19:56 #849157

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member

You refer  to HE..  Ghostdive

She is a SHE

Not that I care , but  looked it up today with all the attention  

Dave

Apparently she is now banned.
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Irritated. 28 May 2021 19:59 #849158

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
No on time out.

Irritated. 28 May 2021 20:05 #849159

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
Okay, but 'banned' and 'on time out' are the same color.
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R