Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Matte black 18 Nov 2005 03:55 #8789

• Wilde
  • Wilde's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I am trying to form a plan on what to do with my kz750 from 1981. The bike looks kind of ok but has been repainted partly and it is not very sexy. I was thinking of painting all the body parts in matte black to get a better look without tearing the whole bike apart (next winters mission). Any experiences on matte black? or comments or other ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matte black 18 Nov 2005 06:14 #8802

• Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
  • User
Krylon Semi-Gloss Black. If you're patient, you can get it to come out looking like black velvet. The last time I painted with it I had some difficulty and I think it was on the cold side, (mid 50's) so you might have to get in a warm place, with good ventilation of course. You can check out my black & green Z1R in the Gallery, maybe pretty far in there toward the beginning. My previous bike was a 650 that was flat black (MadMax black) for a long time and it looked cool too. Good luck, post a pick when you're done.

Matte black 18 Nov 2005 10:10 #8850

• Wilde
  • User
Thanks, I will test it, just bought a new house with a HEATED GARAGE!!! which is uncommon in Sweden so I might do it this winter. Did You use anything on top of the colour?

Matte black 18 Nov 2005 11:03 #8865

• Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
  • User
No I didn't put anything on top yet. There is a satin clear available over here now that I might try in the spring.

Where are you at in Sweden? My siter-in-law is from Karlstad. They got married there in '97 and we went for the wedding. Country was nice, people are nice, it was really nice.

Matte black 18 Nov 2005 13:11 #8887

• Wilde
  • User
Small world, I went to the university in Karlstad, lived there for 4 years. Long time ago though. It is a nice place but the winters are hellish. Now I live on the east coast, further north. Cold but nice in summer.

Matte black 18 Nov 2005 16:06 #8909

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I have used several different kinds on my cafe and so far I like the Krylon semi-flat black "rust tough" enamel best. This paint is supposed to have decent gas resistance as well, but I haven't had the chance to "test" that.
I used a couple of different rattlecan clearcoats on my tank (of the matte and satin variety) as well but stopped doing that because they are not gas resistant (ask me how I know) and I did not like the finish they provided. So I'm just using semi-flat now... Planning on repainting my tank with it after the topend is done. The semi-flat is yet a little less glossy than semi-gloss,looks great. I would stay away from real matte black, it's a pain in the ass to keep clean, because it's not smooth.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Matte black 19 Nov 2005 05:32 #8985

• Wilde
  • User
Never thought of the gas-resistancy, I guess I will go for semi-gloss since it is what You guys recommend. Just have to find Krylon in Sweden, haven´t seen it yet but I guess there are equivalentr. Thanks guys.

• Page: