Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Windshield adjusting 15 Nov 2005 07:17 #8278

• fergyfer
  • fergyfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Got my SlipStreamer S05 Turbo installed last night and took it for a ride and it made a whale of a difference. This morning however, I noticed that the buffetting in the top of my head is shaking my helmet so that my vision is a bit fuzzy. Not good. I would assume that I need to adjust the shield a bit more upright and less swept back but I'm just wondering if there are any "rules of engagement" when adjusting windshields that I should know about? I searched but found no threads on adjusting them... I'm sure trial and error is about the only way to go about this, but I thought I'd ask the experts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Windshield adjusting 15 Nov 2005 09:13 #8291

• Cactus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Doug, I found that keeping the bugscreen tilted back, ie toward the rear of the bike, with more rake, keeps helmet noise quieter, also what I did to mine is drill some holes in it lower down, like they are doing these days on all the sports bike screens, it allows air to pass inside the screen and rejoin the air leaving the front side of the screen and reduces turbulence and wind noise.

Windshield adjusting 15 Nov 2005 11:56 #8325

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
My experience is that all windshields will behave somewhat differently. If your new shield has any adjustment in rake, give changing the rake a shot. Much of the turbulance you can feel will come up from under a shield... this is why many cruisers, fitted with a shield, will use lowers. Lowers are the little wings of plexiglass bolted to the fork tubes. If you get the shield too upright, it will be affected by vehicles in front of you causing your bike to shake and if you lay it back to far, all it is doing is directing bugs in your face. I use a Memphis Shades shield I got from the Dennis Kirk Scratch & Dent store ($35) and had to do some adjusting. Mine mounts on the handlebars and from the upper fork tubes using L braces and that allows it to adjust quite a bit. From what I gather, you had best get it done by tomorrow as summer will be over then! bwhahaha
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Windshield adjusting 15 Nov 2005 12:11 #8327

• fergyfer
  • fergyfer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Actually, I think Summer ended at noon today! Ha! Went out to go home for lunch and had about a 35mph wind from the North. Probably not a good day to test windshield adjustments, but I did adjust it some while home and it made a big difference on the way back to work, although I was driving mostly South going back to work... It's funny how the engine noise is louder with the shield on. I kept trying to shift into 7th. :laugh:

I might have had it raked back too far before. Now it is sitting tight against the top of the headlight with the rubber seal and seems more parallel to the rake of the front forks. We shall see...

• Page: