• Page:

TOPIC:

'78 650 Tank Badges 13 Feb 2022 08:50 #862238

• Jonny
  • Jonny's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • woot!
  • Thank you received: 22
I'm in the process of stripping and repainting the old and faded tank badges I've gotten tired of looking at over the years.

Following some suggestions elsewhere here using soap to cover up the parts I do not want painted for the two tone scheme.

Before I go ahead and reverse the masking to paint in the 'insides' with white, I'm curious about the dimpled texture inside the letters. I like the idea of it showing through a little but, but am unsure if it is meant to, or if it is just there to provide some tooth for the paint to adhere to.

I've looked around at close-up photos of badges online, and the results are mixed, some seem to show some texture and others don't. For the moment I kind of assume that anything that has so much paint in it that those details are covered up is a re-paint job, but I'm unsure. That said, I may not be able to put down a light enough coat to leave the texture evident in any case, but I'd like to at least try to do it right.

Perhaps someone with known original paint badges could chime in, or post a photo?

It took me ages and 4 x batches of chemical stripper to dig out all the white from the badges yesterday, so at very least I don't intent to "fill' the recesses like the PO did.

Cheers!
'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'78 650 Tank Badges 13 Feb 2022 09:12 #862242

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 659
Yes it's visible on the original emblems. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

'78 650 Tank Badges 13 Feb 2022 09:25 #862243

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Here are a couple pics of the original tank badges on my 1977 KZ650-C1.  The white paint still shows texture in the letters, but the texture is softened by the paint.  Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

'78 650 Tank Badges 13 Feb 2022 09:35 #862244

• Jonny
  • Jonny's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • woot!
  • Thank you received: 22
Awesome, thanks very much.

Interesting that either they made a change between 77 and 78, or maybe Canadian versions got somewhat different badging? The outside edge of my tank badges follow the outside of the lettering somewhat, and are not blocked like yours are Ed.

I also have a spare tank that looks like yours, from a parts bike I picked up a while ago that is of unknown year/origin. (Don't have the thing at my place at my moment, so I can't look at the data sticker.)

There is every chance mine are replacements, but they are also solid aluminium, so I suspect they are at least genuine Kawi. Hmmm....

Any case, I will see how painting the first one goes, and try to be as light handed with the white rattle can as possible, to leave as much texture showing as possible. Same goes for the engine covers, which were filled in with purple when I got the bike. Yuk.
'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

Last edit: by Jonny.

'78 650 Tank Badges 13 Feb 2022 09:48 #862246

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 373
Ed is it my old eyes playing a trick on me or are the right side and left side different on your machine?  On the left side it appears the raised edge around the letters is painted dark, while the same edge on the right side appears silver?

As to the block and non block issue you mention later version/models did have the more letter cut versions than the earlier version (block) 

I did use stripper and then rattle can black the whole thing and very lightly scraped off the edge around the letters and did not fill in the letters with white. 
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT
Attachments:

Last edit: by gd4now.

'78 650 Tank Badges 13 Feb 2022 12:09 #862259

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376

Interesting that either they made a change between 77 and 78, or maybe Canadian versions got somewhat different badging? The outside edge of my tank badges follow the outside of the lettering somewhat, and are not blocked like yours are Ed.

I have seen badges like you describe.
I believe the 900/1000 badges are like that.
Yes they are:  Diablo Cycle :: • Badges / Emblems :: • Kawasaki Badges
My '78 650 has the same badges as Ed and Bruce above.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

'78 650 Tank Badges 13 Feb 2022 13:42 #862267

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Ed is it my old eyes playing a trick on me or are the right side and left side different on your machine?  On the left side it appears the raised edge around the letters is painted dark, while the same edge on the right side appears silver?

The edges on both sides are silver.  Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

'78 650 Tank Badges 13 Feb 2022 14:47 #862269

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 373
Sort of thought that was the case Ed.  The angle of the pic and shadows just looked darker to me.  

I am pretty sure the tank emblem changed from all caps to lower letters in 1979.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Last edit: by gd4now.
  • Page: