Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dis Assembly to Repair Headlight & Turn Signal Brackets - Help Please! 30 Jan 2022 13:18 #861487

• Forrest
  • Forrest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
I have searched forums and threads and not found the best practice for removing the chrome head light/turn signal brackets from KZ 650 B1.  I had a tip over onto my soft lawn surface. The turn signals upon impact pushed over the chrome mounting brackets.  Anyone in the collective know of the best way to remove, repair and re install these?  

It appears to me that if I am to remove them completely from the bike, I may need to remove the handlebar and triple clamp.  I have a service manual and owner's manual, but nothing is clear on this.  Also checked Partzilla diagrams to no avail.   Am I on the right track?  Any help would be appreciated.  

Thank You, 
Forrest   
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dis Assembly to Repair Headlight & Turn Signal Brackets - Help Please! 30 Jan 2022 13:34 #861491

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1865
If you need to straighten the fork cover (headlight ear/bracket) then yes you will need to remove the fork from the triple tree. If you take the M/C off the bars and remove the speedo cable you can put the bike on the center stand, place a bottle jack under the engine front motor mount, remove front wheel and you can slip the upper fork station out of the trees.

EDIT. I’m sure at least one caliper will need to come off to remove the front wheel
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

Last edit: by Mikaw.

Dis Assembly to Repair Headlight & Turn Signal Brackets - Help Please! 30 Jan 2022 14:22 #861493

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Thank you for guidance.  This particular bike is an original survivor.  It has even been a bike show winner.  Hate to see it a bit askew.    

Upon removal of the headlight bucket, I have determined these chrome brackets are not permanently affixed to the fork legs.  They seem to fit over the fork legs.  I can actually rotate them on the fork legs.    

I may be able to straighten without dropping the fork legs.   Both chrome brackets are pushed to the left.  The right side is more pronounced with a crease near the head light bucket mount.  My hope is I can move the chrome brackets back into place without additional damage.  If this does not appear possible then I will consider removing handlebar and top yoke.  Then I will consider whether pulling the forks is required.  If this is the case, then everything that gets removed will at least be cleaned.  Besides it could stand to have the fork fluid changed.  

Thanks again!

Last edit: by Forrest.

Dis Assembly to Repair Headlight & Turn Signal Brackets - Help Please! 30 Jan 2022 15:12 #861496

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1034
You can try to repair the fork ears without removing them but I doubt you will be able to do a good job.  

The fork ears are easy to change but it will take some time.  The procedure is probably detailed in the chassis section of the shop manual but I don't have it in front of me so I'm not positive.  

In any case, you don't need to remove the handlebars or the top triple tree bracket.  Simply pull your front wheel off as Mikaw said.  Remove the signal lights.  Then loosen the top and bottom triple tree fork bolts.  The fork should slide downwards.  There will be a small ring on the top of the fork ear.  Don't lose it.  If it's not replaced your fork ears will cause noise when you're riding.

Remove the fork ear and repair, then reassemble everything.  

If the fork ear is not repairable to your satisfaction you can find them for sale on ebay.  A new set will probably cost around $150.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest, BCScott

Dis Assembly to Repair Headlight & Turn Signal Brackets - Help Please! 08 Feb 2022 17:47 #862014

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
I want to thank Mikaw and Hardrockminer for their guidance.  I am the type to look for the quick fix and short cut.  However, I am more than willing to do things the right way first.  After much deliberation and studying the Clymers, I decided to listen to my fellow KZ members. 
Here is the path I chose:
- Ordered one NOS chrome ear bracket from eBay - arrived
- Ordered new stems for all my turn signals from eBay - arrived
​​​​​​- will be replacing some rusted nuts/washers at turn signals and elsewhere.  Amazing upon closer inspection just how much cleaning & replacing a 45 year old bike needs
- dropping my front wheel and right fork leg with the help of my Pit Bull front wheel stand.   FYI; my ZRX pin fits under the KZ stem!  AND, no right brake caliper to mess with due to the B1 model.  

Here is where I am at this moment.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Last edit: by Forrest. Reason: Duplicate photo & added details
  • Page: