Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 23 Oct 2005 10:54 #3624

• KZPens
  • KZPens's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Anybody experienced with this rattlecan paint. I need to lay some paint on my tank until I can afford having it done by a shop ( probably never :( ). The properties of this paint seem to work for a gastank unless there is another gas resistant rattlecan paint I'm not aware of.

Dupli-Color® Engine Enamel with Ceramic

* Resists temperatures up to 500 degrees F
* Durable ceramic formulation
* Superior high gloss finishes
* Oil and gas resistant
* Will not blister, flake, crack or peel
* 36 colors matched to OEM standards
* 6 Classic Colors, 7 Hot Rod Colors
* EZ Touch® Nozzle

I guess I could just use the clear on top of a regular duplicolor enamel if I can't find a color I like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 23 Oct 2005 11:19 #3632

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
I used the hi heat duplicolor clear on my bodywork. I do have a few gas stains though but I think they were worse on a bike I did with regular duplicolor clear. When I need gas I prefer to transfer it over from a plastic tank in my garage than on the road. Whenever I need gas though I keep a paper towel around and as I pull the nozzle out I grab the end of the nozzle with the towel to keep from dripping

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 23 Oct 2005 11:34 #3635

• Bud1
  • User
I always stuff a new shop rag in my pocket everytime I take the bike out. Then I use it to grab the nozzle after trying to let it stop dripping on it's own. When I get home the rag goes on the bench for use in the shop. That way it doesn't build up gas residue over time. Had that happen once was not pretty.

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 23 Oct 2005 15:19 #3665

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
I saw a comparo chart of Krylon paints...it said the Rust tough enamel "film doesn't break down" on gasoline exposure. I intend to test that someday..even bought a can of it. It says the Interior/exterior, which is a "lacquerized enamel" (lacquer with more solids than Duplicolor) breaks down in 15 minutes. I have tested that, and it's true. Damage begins immediately, but can be easily buffed out if you rinse it off right away. The longer you let it sit, the more damage occurs, and the less able you are to buff it away. If you let it sit...it will eat all the way through..in about 15 minutes. I was very interested in this before I put any rattle can paint on my tank, so I did some investigating. The only thing I see with The high heat (used it on my exhaust), is this. I don't think you get the gas resistance if you don't heat cure it. It has a ceramic element to it that requires heat to harden it. I also used it on my instrument housings. I cured it with a heat gun there, and it is very tough. I believe it will be gas -resistant or even proof if you do heat it up. I kind of question it otherwise, just from experience with other Duplicolor paint..although it is probably better than the lacquer. That clear disintegrates on contact with Gasoline. As for putting a heat gun on a gas tank long enough to cure it...I personally wouldn't do it. I didn't drain my tank to bone dry, either. still had a little swishing around the area where I didn't take out the petcock.

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 23 Oct 2005 18:17 #3688

• KZPens
  • User
It's not just the gasresistance I'm concerned about. I'm trying to get the thoughest paint in a rattlecan, this seems to be a good choice. Curing it with heat is the plan.

I already rigged something up using the base of an old electric grill, paneling, 2x4's, tubing to vent the tank outside and the most important part ductape :woohoo: . Of course there will be A LOT of room between it and anything elase during heating.

The only thing I'm concerned about now is the coating I used inside my tank "Red Kote" how good it will stand up to the heating process. I'll probable coat something with the leftover I have, let it dry and then hold a heatgun to it to see what it does before I do the tank. Always something to slow me down... :S

Thanks for the tips and info

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 23 Oct 2005 20:18 #3709

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
one word : MOSSBEATER

Check signature link.

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 23 Oct 2005 20:22 #3710

• KZPens
  • User
Uh, looking good, how long have you had the paint on ? how is it holding up ?

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 23 Oct 2005 20:25 #3711

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
I previously sold it.

I worked on it for a little over a year, retouching the paint as needed, it held up well. Got blotchy when fuel did actually get into contact with it though.

I had about 6 coats on it and it was only a temp job, But I sold the Mossbeater to afford a larger ride.
Every time something happened to the paint it was easy, i just went back to Schmucks or Napa and got another already matched can of paint. Chevy Orange.

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 23 Oct 2005 20:33 #3712

• KZPens
  • User
Well, good to know, thanks a lot. They really should make some kind of tankprotector out of the material for helmets just for people like me :P , it tends to get messy when I get going.:pinch:

Duplicolor Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint 24 Oct 2005 19:17 #3969

• RollingStock
  • User
its never let me down.. i did my stunt bike and layed it down couple of times and held up great..

1200 high temp..

looks just like powercoating

500 paint

1200 on teh exhaust and gloss black on fender and lower fairing
73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

• Page: