Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Z1B original paint codes? 27 Feb 2006 20:04 #26938

• KraZ750
  • KraZ750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like to paint my 75 next week. I found the repro decal kit but am looking for the paint codes. any type PPg BASF etc. Ican cross reference them once I have them. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Z1B original paint codes? 28 Feb 2006 06:38 #27043

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Kawasaki never used paint codes. Most of the Z1 paint is a base/top coat then a sealer over the striping so a computer match place won't help much either as they can't scan this type set up accurately. Try the Z1/Z900 Worldwide Owners Group which is more dedicated to restoration than this board if you need tips on painting the Z1B. The group is part of MSN groups.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Z1B original paint codes? 28 Feb 2006 11:56 #27107

• KL250
  • User
your best bet would be House of Kolor.

WG i Havent forgot about you, i'll let you know what i got when i get home.

Z1B original paint codes? 28 Feb 2006 12:28 #27125

• wiredgeorge
  • User
My need for paint is expanding! I bought yet another project KZ1000E (not sure if it is a 79 or an 80) that will need paint. I will be redoing one of the shafties to sell and will be keeping the other. Plus I want to paint my Krylon purple bike.

I checked today at NAPA where they mix Martin Senour paints (Sherwin Williams). A pint of GM Med Red Metallic is under $30 and with fillable primer/hardener, clearcoat, reducer and hardener, it was under $100. I am afraid that with three bikes to shoot and some needed practice, a pint won't be enough. Would this stuff you have be compatible with the base/clear stuff from the NAPA? I will more than enough of the other supplies I think to do two colors perhaps.

As far as the Z1 paint goes, TRY THIS LINK:

www.paintworkz.com/

People who restore Z1s and know what they are doing say good things about the paint this guy mixes and sells and the job he does repainting Z1s. I have sent him a note and asked him to put a link to his business up in the links section since this question comes up so darn much!
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Z1B original paint codes? 28 Feb 2006 19:18 #27220

• KraZ750
  • KraZ750's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
What I am actually looking for is the color recipe(paint manufacturer's paint or color codes) that match the original Z1B. and WG the stuff you get at napa is ok, but for bikes you should get a nice HVLP(not harbo freight)spray gun with the vacuum bag so you can paint with the gun upside down. It makes spraying tanks muck easier. thanks anyway for the try!

Z1B original paint codes? 01 Mar 2006 12:45 #27326

• wiredgeorge
  • User
RP, owner of Paintworkz.com is the leading expert on Z1 paint. Check his web site or contact him direct. I have invited him to post a link to his site and stop in on the forum. His email is:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Tell him I sent you...
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Z1B original paint codes? 02 Mar 2006 06:38 #27511

• PaintWorkz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 68
The 75 Z1 blue is a candy color and there are no paint codes available. The base coat is a grayish purple metallic and the candy top coat is a turquoise/blue. You can get a close match using PPG Vibrance colors but you will need to do test spray outs and adjust the colors. House of Kolors or Dupont Hot Hues might also have these two colors. There are no OEM car colors that are candy colors.

RP
www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

• Page: