Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dirty Chain Blues 18 Nov 2005 06:57 #8814

• ltdrider
  • ltdrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Sure, I know a well-lubed chain is essential for proper m/c operation.
But a well-lubed chain is dust/dirt magnet. It slings grease all over my rim, frame, & swing arm.
I pulled my front sprocket cover a few weeks ago (something I obviously should do more often). What a MESS. I had to dig the clotted grease/grime out with a screwdriver.
Does anyone have a formula to get a dirty chain clean? Do I have to remove it and soak it in some kind of solvent/degreaser?

I admit I'm kind of nut about keeping her clean, but a clean bike sure does turn heads.

If I can get the chain cleaned up, I'll try chain wax or something that doesnt sling so much. Right now, I'm using PJ1.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dirty Chain Blues 18 Nov 2005 07:08 #8815

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I oil my chin so it can sit overnight before I'll ride again. Then, cleaning the wheel and swing arm after the first ride is a given. After that, seems good until the next time. How much oil are you using? As for cleaning, I don't even use an o-ring chain, so I use brake cleaner on mine...very rarely needs it, though. I've also used seafoam, deep creep...same as seafoam in a spraycan. Does a good job, too. Or diesel in a coffee can. I'm not such a modern guy.

Dirty Chain Blues 18 Nov 2005 07:14 #8818

• cudaosix
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I use WD-40 to clean my o-ring chain. I dont get all that into it with a brush or anything like that. Just spay some on a rag and wipe it clean, it actually comes out very clean. Then use Maxima chain wax, no mess at all.

Chain wax is a bit harder to wipe off then the PJ1 type lube your useing. Your chain should wipe clean very easily.

Post edited by: cudaosix, at: 2005/11/18 10:16

Post edited by: cudaosix, at: 2005/11/18 10:16

Dirty Chain Blues 18 Nov 2005 07:18 #8820

• 1973Z
  • User
My 1973 Z1 was the only model that came stock with an automatic chain oiler. I got about 30,000 miles out of both the original and replacement chains and sprockets. Since getting the bike running again and having an O ring chain installed along with a third set of new sprockets, I emptied the chain oiler reservoir and have used chain wax exclusively. I can wholeheartedly recommend it. My rear wheel has never been so clean. I suggest caution in cleaning an O ring chain, don't rinse with high pressure from your garden hose. You wouldn't want to spray the lubricant from out of the rollers. I apply chain wax every 200 miles. The new chain and sprockets have not quite 6,000 miles on them and have minimum stretch on the chain, not even a full turn on the adjustment bolts after 2 adjustments, the first after about 1,000 miles and the second only recently, leaving the proper slack as per my factory shop manual.

Dirty Chain Blues 18 Nov 2005 07:24 #8823

• Aloha Mr Hand Z1R
  • User
yes, Maxima chain wax. Good.

Dirty Chain Blues 18 Nov 2005 07:40 #8826

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
PJ1 is the worst crap there is. Not trying to start an argument, just my own experience. It goes on the chain real thin like oil then hardens up. This all sounds great, but the truth is after it hardens it is impossible to clean and the lubricating abilitys are zero. I'll lead into one of my stories here, take it or leave it :-) Since about 1970 I always used a chain lube called "BG White Lightning". I always liked it because it goes on as a foam and really gets into the chain and lubricates it great. The "bad" part, if you can call it bad, is Yes it does fling off some, but the "good" part is after it flings off a dry rag takes it right off your wheel, sprocket, frame ect. What I do is spray the chain then wipe it with a dry rag to get off any excess, then after a ride a dry rag on the rest of the bike and you're good as new.
Once I was riding a nearly new GPZ1100 from Colorado to Connecticut and my chain lube fell off on the road and I lost it, stopped in a motorcycle shop, got some PJ1 since that's all they had and proceded down the highway. I rode the last 3500 miles of the trip using PJ1 and on top of the motorcycle being absolutely disgusting with caked on crap that took hours to remove, my chain was completely shot, stretched about 3 complete lines on the swingarm adjusters in those miles. Motorcycle had about 10,000 miles on it. Some may say 10,000 out of a chain is "normal". I get 40,000-60,000 out of every chain I've ever run on a KZ except the PJ1 lubed chain. Coincidence? I don't think. Look for BG chain lube, I hope it's still available.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Dirty Chain Blues 18 Nov 2005 08:02 #8828

• ronboskz650sr
  • User
One more variant, for non-o-ring chains. I have also taken a new chain and soaked it in 90w gear oil overnight, then let hang it up to drip dry. It eventually stops dripping. After the first ride wipe-off, it is good to go for about 500 miles. I use a spray lube with moly, made by Gunk. Right now, this is what I'm using. It's working well. With the old style chain, you have lots of options, and the knowledge that only what you put there is there. Keeps me diligent in cleaning and lubing. I have a tendency to just ride til it breaks, but using a non-o-ring chain has helped me keep that in check...because I know better, and now I have to do it.

• Page: