Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 28 Feb 2023 15:01 #880887

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1854
I checked Partzilla and it says and I’m not 100% confident they are right, (been incorrect before), but the brake stay is the same as my 900 LTD, which is straight. No kick. I checked my 77 1000 project and it also straight, as is the know 1979 complete rear swing arm,wheel,disc, and caliper and that stay is also straight. So I’m running out on a limb here to say yours is bent. Or the photo is skewing the view. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 28 Feb 2023 15:16 #880888

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member

What’s the rear tire size. What I find it should be a 400-18. That converts roughly to a 110 or a 120 size. Like 120/90-18. I see rub/wear on the tire side wall to the brake stay. 
That's because the torque arm is incorrectly fitted (doesn't clear the shock in the correct position) the whole rear end appears to be misaligned and incorrectly assembled - did you see the exhaust hanger mounted to the swingarm !!! (looks like the PO is another candidate for "toolbox welding closed")
Yes a saw that. It must be a new multi directional exhaust. And Yes some people should have to pass a test to be allowed to buy tools. 
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 28 Feb 2023 16:08 #880897

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
Spacers incorrectly fitted and a dunderhead as a PO. He should have known when the castle nut wouldn't fit right. I STILL would like to see a pic from the back. 
You'll find if you turn one spacer around all will fit together as intended except the muffler. 
Just kidding. I've seen those suspended by a strap from the frame or shock mount.
Steve 
The following user(s) said Thank You: CptnKyro

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 02 Mar 2023 07:59 #880976

• CptnKyro
  • CptnKyro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
To start off, THANK YOU EVERYONE for all the information so far!!! And my apologies for being mia from the post, apparently my email decided everything from this site needed to go to my spam folder so I had no idea y’all had even seen my post. I believe I fixed that issue so I should get notified whenever some posts on here.

So after spending more time with the bike thinking about the issues surrounding the. Entire rear end of this bike, it’s nice to know that I was on the right track in noticing all the incorrect things. I don’t know anything about motorcycles other than how to ride and I would say I only know the basics on that, I bought this after a test ride of it being in decent operational condition, and it does run, but its not great, I suspect it to be a carb issue but that’s for a later date. I feel I might have been taken advantage of when purchasing, but I also should have been more attentive and cautious.

There was concern of me riding it in its current state and I can assure you that the moment I saw the rubbing on the swing arm and torque link (which also has grinding marks with sharp burrs on it still) that I parked it until I can fix all of it. 

Torque Link
so from all the diagrams I found (and the ones you guys shared as well) the torque link for this swing arm and caliper combination is a straight bar with 2 holes on both ends. It is currently mounted incorrectly and has been bent to clear the coil spring on the shock, you guys are correct. It’s all had a grinder taken to it to ”clear” the tire so it won’t rub. Neither of which I’m cool with. There’s a few bars up for sale on the internet and if I can’t get a hole of one I planned on machining one at work, possibly one that’s slimmer in design to allow for more clearance now and in the future.

Swing Arm
The swing arm is stock and looks to be in good shape, one of the brake line grommet loops or whatever they’re called is bent out of the way and the grommet is missing, because the PO installed the brake line upside down, idk why because from what I can see it would have cleared everything regardless of aftermarket shocks and exhaust. Also yes the exhaust is aftermarket and he made a bracket to mount it but that does not currently cause any visible issues with the shocks, swing arm, rear wheel, or breaks, it’s just….ugly… sounds good! Just ugly.

Rear Wheel
I didn’t even think that these wheels would have spacers so that’s very helpful! It is not aligned correctly which I believed was the reason why it rubs on the swing arm but it very well could be spacers missing or installed incorrectly. So I will be looking into that, I don’t have the tire size on hand at the moment but from what I remember it’s a correct size/a size that people on this forum have posted about running successfully, so it’s not oversized which is one less thing to worry about right now. I did notice the axle nut being stopped short of the end of the bolt but I didn’t know that was a problem, again my ignorance on motorcycles, so hopefully I can solve that issue as well and correct it.

Again thank you all for the help and interest, I’m hoping I didn’t spend money on a lost cause.

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 02 Mar 2023 15:31 #880989

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2620
I made that mistake by installing one of the spacers backwards. I had to take it back apart and turn one around so it would slip into the bearing race. Once in everything fit as it should. 
Steve

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 02 Mar 2023 15:58 #880992

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1782
It's all repairable and there is enough knowledge here to get you through it and make it a safe usable bike 

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 03 Mar 2023 03:51 #881006

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1782

Swing Arm
The swing arm is stock and looks to be in good shape, one of the brake line grommet loops or whatever they’re called is bent out of the way and the grommet is missing, because the PO installed the brake line upside down, idk why because from what I can see it would have cleared everything regardless of aftermarket shocks and exhaust. Also yes the exhaust is aftermarket and he made a bracket to mount it but that does not currently cause any visible issues with the shocks, swing arm, rear wheel, or breaks, it’s just….ugly… sounds good! Just ugly.

I just noticed your comment ref the exhaust - the bracket he made does cause a serious issue, the exhaust is mounted to the swingarm (fixed part attached to a moving part) this will effect suspension operation  and probably break the exhaust. The exhaust should be attached to a fixed point (frame, footrest hanger etc)

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 03 Mar 2023 04:06 #881007

• CptnKyro
  • User
You’re absolutely correct!!! I should have caught that, I must have gotten distracted by all the other issues and over looked it. I’ll machine a new hanger at work for it and get it off the swing arm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 03 Mar 2023 06:59 #881028

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
As Swest mentioned the common hanging point for the upswept exhaust is a long bracket mounted the shock upper mount. 
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 03 Mar 2023 07:05 #881033

• CptnKyro
  • User
Okay that’s a good point, personally once I get to that point I’d like to go back to the stock exhaust or something similar to use the stock mounting points

1977 KZ650C1 Rear Shock absorber/ Rear Brake stabilzer (torque link) 03 Mar 2023 19:10 #881072

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
This kind of exhaust mount is very popular in Japan to support the muffler.

Attachments:

• Page: