Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 23 Feb 2023 00:06 #880662

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1787
Well that's taken care of the extended "trail"   on a serious note that sucks as I know you have put a lot of time into it (is it just the fork tubes ?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 23 Feb 2023 00:35 #880663

• Michel3007
  • Michel3007's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Aïe, that's pretty unlucky there... Hope you didn't get hurt !
Are the trees damaged too or is it just the tubes ? Looks like you're gonna have to go full E on that front end now ;)
KZ 750 H2 LTD 1981
GPZ750R1 1982

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 23 Feb 2023 01:50 #880664

• Elfarm98648
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
I’m fine, getting sore this morning but to be expected. Yes the worst of it is going to be the fork tubes, some of the small bits got bent like the clutch lever and the bars, broke a turn signal cover, need a new grip and a fender. I ended up riding it back home after the police report was filed. I rebuild the forks not long ago so I’m going to replace the uppers and put it back on the road with the lowers. I’ve got progressive suspension fork springs, new seals, fork oil, and a polish job in the lowers so I’m not going to throw it away. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Wookie58

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 23 Feb 2023 04:19 #880666

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
If that had been me I would add a new set of underwear to the list of replacements!
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 23 Feb 2023 08:43 #880680

• Elfarm98648
  • User
All in total to completely fix the motorcycle it is $181.80. We will just call the underwear a casualty of doing business. All parts should be here by Tuesday of next week. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 23 Feb 2023 08:44 #880681

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1787
That's a win 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elfarm98648

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 23 Feb 2023 20:14 #880703

• Elfarm98648
  • User
The other truck is even under $100 to fix too. He’s actually a good friend of mine and knows how mechanical inclined I am so he accepted my offer that I just buy the parts and fix it myself without getting insurance involved so it’s pretty much the best worst thing that could have happened. This is it for him. 

Unfortunately, the Army is not as forgiving as everything else because I have a timed 8 mile ruck in the morning. Less than 48 hours post accident. 8 miles with 45lbs at a 12minute 30 second pace, wish me luck!
Attachments:

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 27 Feb 2023 21:01 #880841

• Elfarm98648
  • User
Well today was when all the parts arrived and I got lucky and got some free time to go see what I could accomplish. Long story short, I need more parts  
For some reason the new fork tubes wouldn’t go into the old fork lowers so I decided to use the fork lowers that came with the tubes since I bought them put together. After cleaning and reassembly I went to install them and hit a roadblock. The steering stem was bent in the wreck and I can’t install the forks completely. The top tree just doesn’t line up, and it’s not close either. So I need a new 750E steering stem upper and lower and likely a new bearing kit because swapping that over is likely to break something. Also went to piece everything back together to get it rolling so I could move it around and found the fork lower I bought was for a single front break, not a dual like my LTD. 
notice the mounting tabs are missing… So I also need a new lower that will work with the new fork tubes. 

On the bright side, I may have found my issue to the brakes locking up issue in another thread. When installing the new handlebars and reinstalling the brake master cylinder, I saw that the line was sorta kinked, possibly causing fluid to push through and not allow it to return. I will change the banjo fitting to one that allows more clearance for the bars and a better routing. 

I was able to fix the turn signal that broke in the rear however now one the bulb that I just installed is like 5 times brighter than the other blinker. I’ll take some pictures tomorrow but it’s definitely weird. I’ll check the bulb and see if that’s the culprit. 
Attachments:

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 27 Feb 2023 21:12 #880842

• Elfarm98648
  • User
I figured out the names of the parts in the forks that would not allow me to install the new tubes into my stock lowers. They are the guide bushings. The tube guide bushing on the new tubes will not go past the guide bushing for the lowers when installing. Has anyone else run into this issue? 
Attachments:

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 28 Feb 2023 00:17 #880844

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
First you have to remove the guide bushing in the lower fork tube first before you can install the new fork legs!
Than you have to install the lower fork tube guide bushing, washer and fork seal using a PVC pipe or fork seal driver tool.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elfarm98648

Last edit: by Scirocco.

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 28 Feb 2023 18:50 #880906

• Elfarm98648
  • User
Today went better than yesterday. I got the bushings removed from my old fork lowers. They fought me every which way but loose. Luckily I have the extra set because I had to very carefully cut the old ones out with a dremel. 
I got my new 750E steering stem purchased and it should arrive Monday. 
I ordered the straight banjo bolt to solve my brake line pinching issue, it should arrive Thursday.
I will order the fork seal driver, I have good experience with the motion pro, very sturdy and well made as far as tolerances and finish.  Little pricey but definitely worth its weight to avoid any problems come time to reassemble. 

KZ750H to E conversion - Rake and trail ? 06 Mar 2023 20:26 #881192

• Elfarm98648
  • User
New steering stem arrived today as well as the seal driver. Disassembled the forks not for the last time. I hit another snag and I’ve pretty much made up my mind as to what to do with these forks. But I want everyone else’s ideas. 

The the bushings from the donor forks pressed into the original fork lowers and now the bushing on the tube can go past it, however there is a lip on the inside of the fork where the tube bushing does not slide. Here is a photo of the lip in the original fork lowers. 
Here is a photo of the donor fork lowers and you can see there is no lip. 

what will happen if I assemble the forks without the tube bushing? It still does have the lower bushing that I fought out and then reinstalled. What does everyone run for fork oil as far as weight? What does it affect? Will a higher weight oil make the fork rebound slower? 
Attachments: