• Page:

TOPIC:

Grr! What's up with my sprockets?!? 12 Sep 2020 16:43 #834890

• Hannah
  • Hannah's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 750 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
I don't know if the parts fiche is lying, or if there's some shady business with my bike.
I've got an 82 750 CSR (KZ750M1)
The parts fiche says I should have 16/38 sprockets and a 106 link 530 chain.
What is on the bike though is a 630 chain and 13/26 sprockets.

I bought the chain long enough ago that I can't return it, and OF COURSE I've already cut the old chain off before noticing, so I'm down until I get either another chain or new sprockets. Grrrr.
Part of me wants higher gearing for the highway, and part wants lower gearing for occasional single track riding. Neither part wants the current gearing, even though it IS already higher than it would be if I had what the fiche claims is oem.

I guess, more than anything, I'm just venting. The bike is SUPPOSED to be all original, but??? It clearly doesn't match the fiche. So I guess my options are; the bike has been somewhat cobbled, the fiche is just wrong in places, or possibly Kawasaki sometimes just made do with what was around when building these. Any way you look at it, it makes me pretty dubious about assuming that buying what's listed on the fiche will automatically fit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grr! What's up with my sprockets?!? 12 Sep 2020 16:48 #834891

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41

Hannah wrote: The bike is SUPPOSED to be all original,

There was a seller on here not too long ago that posted a bike saying all original, but had different handlebars, gauge cluster (speedo atleast), mirrors and maybe some other stuff, I don't remember the specifics, but "all original" doesn't describe his bike.

The joy of previous owners. Good luck with it.
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

Grr! What's up with my sprockets?!? 12 Sep 2020 17:31 #834893

• Hannah
  • User
  • 1982 750 CSR
Well...
Based on what Z1 lists for this bike, I can't even maintain my current gearing, let alone go higher.
The bike currently has a 2:1 gear ratio. The smallest rear gear they have with the correct bcd is a 38t. I'd have to use a 19t front gear to get the same ratio, and there's no way a front gear that big is fitting in that space. Oem ratio is 2.375:1 which would bump me from 4k to 4750 rpm at 55. Tallest gearing I could get with what Z1 shows available, and would fit, is 2.235, which is hardly better than oem.

Anyone know some place other than Z1 that sells rear sprockets?

Fortunately M_a_t_t, I didn't pay any extra based on owner claims. Only thing I'm willing to pay for is the machine in front of me, not somebody's cool story. That's the thing that gets to me though. I paid a reasonable price for a decently running older bike, and that's what it's been. Why hand me a bunch of B.S.? If he'd said, "this list of things has been replaced." I'd still have bought it. Plus I'd have been prepared with the correct parts when it came time to... oh I don't know... replace the chain for example.

Grr! What's up with my sprockets?!? 13 Sep 2020 05:32 #834909

• martin_csr
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
Does the 2:1 ratio lug the engine?
Z1Enterprises.com has a 17T & 18T if you want to lower the revs from stock, but I don't know what fits.
Just an FYI, if you search KZR, look for any replies by steell. he knows quite a bit about the 750 Twins. also, bountyhunter.

ps: maybe everything else on the motorcycle is stock. could be.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Grr! What's up with my sprockets?!? 13 Sep 2020 12:29 #834921

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
No matter which way you go, conventional wisdom says always replace the chain and sprockets at the same time. You might spend some time looking at chain and sprocket company websites to see what is available. JT, Sunstar, Supersprox, DID, RK, et cetera.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Grr! What's up with my sprockets?!? 13 Sep 2020 14:19 #834938

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

TexasKZ wrote: No matter which way you go, conventional wisdom says always replace the chain and sprockets at the same time. .............

Exactly! Even a slightly worn sprocket or chain will wear the corresponding chain or sprocket prematurely. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Grr! What's up with my sprockets?!? 13 Sep 2020 15:01 #834942

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

650ed wrote:

TexasKZ wrote: No matter which way you go, conventional wisdom says always replace the chain and sprockets at the same time. .............

Exactly! Even a slightly worn sprocket or chain will wear the corresponding chain or sprocket prematurely. Ed

That is what I have always read and been told, but last year I bought a chain and pair of sprockets for my ZRX from Supersprox. When you buy the whole kit from them, they guarantee their rear sprocket for the life of the motorcycle. I guess it must be much harder than the chain.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Grr! What's up with my sprockets?!? 14 Sep 2020 11:05 #834993

• Hannah
  • User
  • 1982 750 CSR

martin_csr wrote: Does the 2:1 ratio lug the engine?
Z1Enterprises.com has a 17T & 18T if you want to lower the revs from stock, but I don't know what fits.
Just an FYI, if you search KZR, look for any replies by steell. he knows quite a bit about the 750 Twins. also, bountyhunter.

ps: maybe everything else on the motorcycle is stock. could be.

I've never had any trouble with lugging, but then I live in the flattest part of a fairly flat state.
Oem is 16t. I've read that 17 and 18t will fit, with 19t requiring case modification. Maybe I'll just say the heck with it and go with the stock size sprockets. If nothing else I'll know how the factory meant for it to be. I can always change size later if I don't like it.

Grr! What's up with my sprockets?!? 14 Sep 2020 20:30 #835056

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93

Hannah wrote: The parts fiche says I should have 16/38 sprockets and a 106 link 530 chain.
What is on the bike though is a 630 chain and 13/26 sprockets.

I would hazard a guess that you've had the same problem that I did, but the other way around. I had a 38T rear sprocket on my bike - correct for a 2-cylinder KZ750, but not for a i4 KZ750. Like my bike, someone has gone to order parts for your KZ750 and got the wrong one.

A KZ750 LTD (4 cylinder) has a 13T front sprocket and a 630 chain, like what you have . Whoever last had you bike must have ordered the chain and sprockets for the 4 cylinder LTD (although they should have a 32 on the back, 26 is pretty small). And just fitted them anyway.
1981 KZ750 LTD

• Page: