Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New fork seals leaking - Grrrrrr 01 Nov 2005 17:00 #5988

• dannyg40
  • dannyg40's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I replaced my fork seals about 2 months ago with new factory OEM seals. Paid $26 for the pair, took apart the forks the right way, checked for any nicks on the forks, reassembled them correctly, and now 2 months later..... The same right fork seal is leaking ! I checked the forks for any nicks or scrathes really good, now Im kinda ticked off the new seals are leaking. Only the left fork, same fork that was leaking to begin with. I hate having to go back and fix things again. When I re do the seals Im gonna make sure I polish up both forks to a smooth mirror finish. Looks like I will be putting the bike in a nice warm basement for the winter after all soon. Then I can be warm while I adjust the valves, re-do the fork seals, and all the other little things that need to be done......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New fork seals leaking - Grrrrrr 01 Nov 2005 17:58 #6005

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Did you lube the seal with grease before reinserting the tube? All it takes is a bit of grit in there to make them leak. Before you tear them down again try pulling the dust boot up, then take a piece of film negative and work it between the seal and the tube. Do this all the way around. You might just need to dislodge a particle.

New dust boots also help to prevent this.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

New fork seals leaking - Grrrrrr 02 Nov 2005 00:48 #6050

• dannyg40
  • User
Greased the new seals really well. I going to try that idea and see if anything is just caught in between the tube and new seal. Like you said, it might be a small particle of something that is in between....

New fork seals leaking - Grrrrrr 02 Nov 2005 18:23 #6186

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Hey Dan,
Another trick I've seen is to cover the metal parts at the end of the fork tube with electrical tape before you fit the end of the fork tube through the seal. That way you're sure not to damage the seal. I use a split piece of PVC pipe clamped around the forktube with hose clamps to drive the seal into the slider after the seal is on the tube.
Hope this helps
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

New fork seals leaking - Grrrrrr 02 Nov 2005 18:54 #6190

• User
  • Thank you received: 3
I have put the seals in hot oil to soften them before sliding them down over the fork tube and as said before tape up all possible sharpe edges. Also be sure everthing is very clean and well oiled before putting them on the fork slider. Hope you have better luck next time...

New fork seals leaking - Grrrrrr 02 Nov 2005 19:01 #6191

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
This has got me thinking. Do you usually install the seals in the slider then insert the tube or put the seals on the tubes, then try to install the seals?

I beleive in the past I've installed the seals first into the slider.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

New fork seals leaking - Grrrrrr 02 Nov 2005 20:35 #6206

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Hey Saved,
At least on the newer forks the bushings won't fit through the seals. Therefore, you have to slide the seals onto the fork tube, install the bushings and then slide the fork slider over the bushings. This means that you have to drive the seal into the fork slider with the fork tube in the middle of the whole affair. As I said a split piece of PVC pipe is the solution.
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

New fork seals leaking - Grrrrrr 03 Nov 2005 00:40 #6228

• dannyg40
  • User
I assembled the forks then slid the new seal all the way down the tube. I used the old seal on top of the new seal to "tap it down" into the groove. I slid the piece of film around the seal like suggested. Today when i go riding I will see how it works. I also did saturate it will oil before sliding it down the tube. Whats weird is.... the right side fork does have a small scartch in it about 1 1/2 inches above the dust cap, but that seal is perfect. The left side fork tube is perfectly smooth, and thats the problem tube.

New fork seals leaking - Grrrrrr 20 Nov 2005 04:44 #9143

• dannyg40
  • User
Just a follow up to my old post here,
Winter will be setting in soon and I made room in the basement for the bike and a few projects over the winter. I picked up a really nice set of forks on E-bay for $40. They are very clean, no seal leaks, and look like new. Over the winter I will put them on. I was going to take my old forks apart again, but the time, $22 for new seals, and $12 for fork oil, swayed me into just finding new forks. The oil in the ones I got on E-bay is like new. Plus with the old forks... when I was doing the seals, the original left side fork on the bike was bone dry for who knows how many years. The spring was really rusty and so were all the internal parts from being dry. Better to replace the whole thing..

• Page: