Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 26 Oct 2005 09:58 #4404

• Old-Skul
  • Old-Skul's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Well, I mounted new tires and break pads the other day. Got done with the job, and went inside to clean up. Came back out and checked all the bolts to make sure the wheels were on tight and went for a ride....

At 70 mph I realized the front master cyclinder cover on my bike was missing. I double checked all the wheel bolts, but failed to re-tighten the master cylinder cover after re-seating the pistons in the calipers.

Dumb@$$.

So if anyone out there has the rectangular style master cylinder cover for a '79 KZ650sr (it's also the same part on some of the 900s and 1000s I believe). I sure could use it - as well as the little rubber spacer\damper and the correct mounting screws for it.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 26 Oct 2005 17:17 #4503

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 26 Oct 2005 17:31 #4510

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
My nephew did exactly the same thing with his 79 KZ650SR, you think maybe it has something to do with that year and model :D

If you have the trapazoidal (not quite rectangular) master cylinder cap, then I have a spare. If it is the rectangular one, then I don't think I have any.

The one I have is wider at one end than the other, and held on by four screws.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2005/10/26 20:32
KD9JUR

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 26 Oct 2005 20:15 #4554

• Old-Skul
  • User
Steel, how much do you want for the cover? It's is the trapezoidal one (not quite a true rectangle). Do you have the rubber damper to go down inside the reservoir as well? Please feel free to email off the list at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 26 Oct 2005 20:20 #4557

• Old-Skul
  • User
OH MY GOD - IndyKaw, that partsnmore link you posted is amazing. I have never seen so many parts laid out so well for an older bike. Starter Button repair kits? I bought three whole switch pods so I'd have extras from ebay....

If anyone hasn't seeen that site they should check it out!

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 26 Oct 2005 21:00 #4559

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Good site and good service....reasonable prices also....hope you find yer cover and rubber dohinky. (Love them techno-terms!!)
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 26 Oct 2005 23:09 #4574

• GargantuChet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Be careful with partsnmore, though. I ordered a brake and clutch lever from them. The price was too good to be true -- they were thinner than stock, and tended to jiggle vertically.

I'd bought them since my bike was laid over by some young punk, and the brake lever was bent. The clutch lever went on fine (I wanted to keep them matched). Unfortunately, the hole in the new brake handle was too small, and would have required drilling to fit properly. I risked it and just bent my existing handle back into shape. The partsnmore handles are now sitting on a shelf. I'd eBay them, but I'd feel bad about unloading inferior crap on someone trying to fix up their own bike.

After a few weeks of sitting in my house, the new handle was corroded quite badly!

On the other hand, some of the other stuff I bought from them (master cylinder rebuild kit, for instance) seems good so far. I just thought I'd warn you that all that glitters is not gold... or a reasonable approximation of OEM quality.

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 27 Oct 2005 08:35 #4650

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Send me dimensions.
I should still have the ratty one off my old gs1000 master.
If it fits, it's free and will do until you fid something nice.
I'll be at workshop on sat or sun and can check then.

-Duck

best send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2005/10/27 15:29

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 28 Oct 2005 17:19 #5021

• Old-Skul
  • User
Many thanks for all the responses. I've gone ahead and ordered a new one from Parts and More. Many thanks to the people who offered their parts!

I went ahead and ordered some new swing-arm bearings as well!

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 29 Oct 2005 09:13 #5130

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
It looks like Im too late on offering the part but sheesh that must have been something to discover your missing your front brakes at 70mph.

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 29 Oct 2005 09:31 #5132

• Old-Skul
  • User
Actually it wasn't that bad. The master cylinder still had fluid in it. So I stopped at a gas station. I was on the way to go riding with a group from out of town and didn't want to miss them, so I bought plastic baggies, rubber bands, and duct tape at the gas station and "manufactured" a new cover. I spent the day out riding with no issues, including a "spirited" romp down the Cherahola skyway and Wayah road!

Needed - Master Cylinder Cover 18 Nov 2005 08:39 #8834

• wireguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
it sounds like an ltd mastercylinder kzs are round.we used to make them out of stainless steel and polish em,they look a lot better than the stock cover

• Page: