Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Remounting rubber on rim 19 Apr 2006 11:00 #40861

• GargantuChet
  • GargantuChet's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Is it safe to remove a tire, replace the tube, and reinstall the tire?

I had a flat about a month while ago, so I took the wheel in to a local shop to have the tire replaced. I bought a new tube (figured, it went flat for a reason, right?) and asked them to replace it as well.

When I picked the tire up, they said that they'd tested the original tube and hadn't found leaks, so they just put it back on and refunded me for the new tube I'd bought.

Now, a few weeks and well under 200 miles later, the thing is hit-and-miss. If I fill the tire and go for a short ride (2-5 miles) it'll hold air during the ride, and when I check air pressure afterwards it's fine. Leave it sit overnight, and 50% of the time it's got air in the morning, and 50% of the time it's gone flat.

I tried replacing the valve core (no luck), and it's been parked in a locked garage to make sure that nobody's trying to pull any pranks or anything. To me, it's the tube, and I'm kicking myself for not refusing to take the tire out of the shop until they replaced the tube like I'd asked.

If the tire is removed, does it NEED to be replaced, or is it reasonably safe if they offer to replace the tube and reinstall the same tire?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remounting rubber on rim 19 Apr 2006 11:24 #40864

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
A tire can safely be removed and replaced many times. It used to be common to carry a tire repair kit and small pump so you could fix flats along the road :)
KD9JUR

Remounting rubber on rim 19 Apr 2006 11:36 #40868

• GargantuChet
  • User
I've done many roadside repairs -- changed CV joints, replaced alternators, replaced power steering pumps, changed tires, installed a radio in a parking lot, refilled washer fluid, topped off oil, changed the radio station, and once I even tore an exhaust apart by hand after it wrapped itself around the rear axle, but I can tell you this:

I fear the man who can break a bead on the side of the road.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Remounting rubber on rim 19 Apr 2006 16:09 #40904

• oldkaw79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Next time make a mental note of were the valve stem is in relationship to the grond when it goes flat. Fill the tire up and place valve stem in the same position and spray some soapy water around the valve stem and I bet the valve stem has a small crack in it and the rim is putting a little presure on it when it is parked at a certain angle. I have had two bikes with this problem.

Remounting rubber on rim 19 Apr 2006 16:34 #40908

• GargantuChet
  • User
That's a great idea, although it might throw things off that I park it on the center stand.

Still, it couldn't hurt, and definitely gives me something to check out. Thanks for the tip!

Remounting rubber on rim 19 Apr 2006 18:22 #40937

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207

I fear the man who can break a bead on the side of the road.

I was talking about tube type tires as they generally break fairly easily, tubeless are a different story :D
KD9JUR

Remounting rubber on rim 20 Apr 2006 05:41 #41052

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
lessons learned, I always replace the tube when the tire comes off, a few bucks for the tube is a good insurance policy. also did they rebalnce the tire?
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Remounting rubber on rim 20 Apr 2006 07:54 #41092

• GargantuChet
  • User
(dup deleted)

Post edited by: GargantuChet, at: 2006/04/20 10:59

Remounting rubber on rim 20 Apr 2006 07:58 #41094

• GargantuChet
  • User
Thanks for setting my addled mind at ease, Steell, I was *really* starting to feel like a weakling. I hadn't realized that there was a difference in bead strength between the types. B)

I agree, it costs a little bit to gain a whole lot of peace of mind. I'd bought a tube with the new tire, and given them both to the service guys for installation. I was pretty annoyed when I showed up to pick up the tire and the guy told me that they hadn't used the new tube I'd bought.

And they did rebalance the tire, although the fact that one of the wheel weights fell off the rim makes their balance job useless. :angry:

Oh, well, lesson learned. Make intentions clear, don't leave the shop until I'm satisfied that the job is done to my satisfaction, and if at all possible find a place that'll let me look over their shoulders during the actual work.

At least I'm satisfied that I won't need a new tire because of my mistake. Now it's just a matter of finding a decent shop worth giving my money to...

As always I appreciate the advice everyone's given. I trust experience a whole lot more than I trust anyone behind a counter in a local shop... maybe I just haven't found the right shop yet, but even still it's always nice to be able to get a second opinion on things.

• Page: