Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 15 Apr 2006 15:24 #39745

• elcid
  • elcid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 79 KZ650 B & want to put on a different front end. So which USD (inverted)ones will "bolt on" the easiest? I will be using the stock wheel & I am not worried about break mounts as we are ditching the stock break setup for a smaller, thinner disk & maybe a double piston setup. I know some mods may be neccessary but I am trying to find a fork that we can just slip right on with least amount of mods. I also want it to have a top triple tree that will be able to accomadate some risers if needed. I know a lot of those modern usd forks will take clip on bars only - don't want those. What do you guys suggest?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 15 Apr 2006 17:57 #39788

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
elcid wrote:

I have a 79 KZ650 B & want to put on a different front end. So which USD (inverted)ones will "bolt on" the easiest? I will be using the stock wheel & I am not worried about break mounts as we are ditching the stock break setup for a smaller, thinner disk & maybe a double piston setup. I know some mods may be neccessary but I am trying to find a fork that we can just slip right on with least amount of mods. I also want it to have a top triple tree that will be able to accomadate some risers if needed. I know a lot of those modern usd forks will take clip on bars only - don't want those. What do you guys suggest?

So you want:

a) the forks to fit right on as far as the stem
b) to retain the stock wheel
c) an aftermarket brake setup
d) a triple capable of risers
e) to use something aside from clipons
f) inverted setup.

If that is correct I'll just say this.... NOTHING will accomidate all those needs.

On a side note: The forks don't only take clip ons on the inverted setups... they just happen to be running am upper triple that lacks clamps.

There ARE upper triples you can get that will accomodate clamps for a bar setup though, such as this one from streetfighters usa:

You just need to know what fork you are running and what year it is to order them, but be warned, a fork swap could run up to $300.00 for all the parts alone, and then a bar setup like this one is another $380.00 or so, depending on the setup.

So that takes care of you not wanting to run clip ons.

Now, what else... inverted? On your bike I recommend the GSXR 750 setups. The stems are VERY close to the same size from what I remember. That'd be the closest from what I know of them.

Front wheel? Trust me, run the GSXR wheel. It will look SUUUPER GOOFY with the stock wheel in there. It's just too large of a diameter for the fork as they are significantly shorter than your stock forks.

What else you will need? The correct bearings, different brake, clutch and throttle cables (unless you want a mess that you don't mind on there), and some other small stuff.

All in all you are probably looking at about $800.00 min. to do this up and have it look professional and clean.

EDIT: PICTURE SIZE.

Post edited by: twowheeledterror, at: 2006/04/15 21:05

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 15 Apr 2006 20:54 #39826

• elcid
  • User
Damn those prices you are talking about seem a bit inflated. Well I guess I can try to look at one of the gsxr front ends & then see what we can mod. We may just weld some of those bar tabs on the top of that tree. Do you know of any other top triple tree that will fit up top from amother bike? We could mill out those holes if we have to. I am not interested in buying that part like the one from Streetfighters. It's all about modding, chopping, welding etc. Thanx for the info though, bro. Anyone have anything else to add?

Post edited by: elcid, at: 2006/04/16 00:00

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 15 Apr 2006 22:13 #39835

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
ill hate myself later for this but you could use the gsxr front end and drill the 2 holes for harley style risers
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 15 Apr 2006 23:02 #39842

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
btchalice wrote:

ill hate myself later for this but you could use the gsxr front end and drill the 2 holes for harley style risers

Instead of hating yourself why don't you suggest KZ750 twin risers :D
Drill one hole for each one and bolt them on.
KD9JUR

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 16 Apr 2006 04:47 #39860

• elcid
  • User
Dang I like the way you guys think. Now that is what having a chopper is all about. Let's chop some shit up! Now can you guys confirm that the GSXR front end will just bolt onto a 79 KZ650?

Post edited by: elcid, at: 2006/04/16 07:47

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 16 Apr 2006 06:05 #39866

• btchalice
  • User
you might have to machine the stem
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 16 Apr 2006 06:37 #39870

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Like I said, it will not bolt right on and be done, but it's very close. It's as close as you're gonna get that is.

You've obviously got access to a machine shop... have them press the stem from the 650 into the Gixxer lower triple and then it will bolt right up.

Oh, for clamps look on Ebay. Guys running Suzuki SV650's remove theirs in favor of clip ons all the time. I've gotten a set for like $4.00 before.

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 25 Apr 2006 11:25 #42537

• elcid
  • User
are you saying the kz750 riser/ trees will accomadate the gsxr fork tubes? The gsxr tubes seem a bit beefier...

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 25 Apr 2006 11:58 #42546

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
elcid wrote:

are you saying the kz750 riser/ trees will accomadate the gsxr fork tubes? The gsxr tubes seem a bit beefier...

Nope, I didn't say anything about the trees :)
The 750 twin handlebar risers are rubber mounted and bolt through holes in the upper clamp.
KD9JUR

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 25 Apr 2006 12:04 #42549

• elcid
  • User
Well that is the whole dilema. I want to use gsxr front end but want to be able to affix risers...

What usd fork will bolt right on to kz650? 25 Apr 2006 14:22 #42585

• 77KZ650
  • User
elcid wrote:

Well that is the whole dilema. I want to use gsxr front end but want to be able to affix risers...

Weld them on the gixxer triple
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• Page: