Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 18:09 #36698

• Kawbeach749
  • Kawbeach749's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
New rubber brake lines, or new braided steel lines?
Is their a diff.? And if so wheres the best place to find cheap steel lines?
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 18:18 #36705

• wireman
  • Visitor
are your old lines dry rotted?i personally use rubber lines all except one bike.there are lots of other things you can do that will make more of an improvement than braided lines,just my experiance.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 18:18 #36706

• skippr76KZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just received delivery today of a New set of 3 Russell steel braided brake lines for the front brakes on my KZ900LTD from a fellow off of Ebay. It was a good transaction and I'm pleased with what I got. Paid $55 plus an extra $5 shipping. I haven't taken them out of the carton yet. Dennis Kirk was pretty reasonable, but more expensive with their options. Another Ebayer wanted $60 per line, but they were exceptional quality, and customized and probably well worth it - but too pricey for me. I opted for reasonable quality and a low price. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you the details. As for difference between rubber and steel. I've always heard steel braid is better for a number of reasons, but have no personal experience. I got these because they look cool.
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 18:20 #36707

• dan76kz900
  • User
I dont have the braided steel lines yet.. but I read they give your a more firmer feel with the brakes and they dont expand like rubber lines would. I have seen kits on ebay for less than $100 for dual brakes. Try searching earls brake lines or russels brake lines and get part numbers of what you need and head on over to summitracing.com and enter the part number.. I find that summitracing has good prices !

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 18:24 #36708

• wireman
  • Visitor
my god skip youre turning into a hotrodder,braided brake lines!whats next chrome screws on your carb clamps,blocksanding fins on your motor? :whistle:hehe goodluck,happy wrenching!

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 18:33 #36716

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Looks like the source I used on Ebay has the lines for your bike. You might contact them directly. Here's the product link: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/77-80-Kawasaki-K...4613679798QQtcZphoto
$80 plus shipping for three lines. Might be the cheapest you find. Correcto mundo again wireman. B) And don't forget by machined rotors, hand polished Morris Mags- blah, blah, blah! Now if I can only figure out how to patch those fingernail size holes on my LTD seat...:whistle:
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 18:37 #36720

• wireman
  • Visitor
if the foam is good how about if i just swap you for this cherry one i have sitting here?i want to get another one redone in leather so all i need is a good base and foam.wanna swap?

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 18:48 #36731

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Uh............sounds great to me. Check your PM.
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 19:38 #36754

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
You can spend whatever money you want on braided lines for the good looks if you like them. Expect zero difference in function though.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 22:04 #36798

• dan76kz900
  • User
RonKZ650 wrote:

You can spend whatever money you want on braided lines for the good looks if you like them. Expect zero difference in function though.

how about durability ?

braided steel brake lines 04 Apr 2006 22:47 #36803

• Kawbeach749
  • Kawbeach749's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
thanks, everybody.
Ill check out that site skippr.
My lines are old, and orginal, but I might be able to reuse them, but If the new lines with the old brake techology dosen't make a difference then I might go with new oem lines.

braided steel brake lines 05 Apr 2006 00:20 #36816

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I disagree entirely witih the guys who say their is no difference in function with braided steel lines. I replaced the lines in both of my daily riders, and the result is a much MUCH firmer brake handle and pedal. One of the very early KZRider members, and the most knowledgeable guy I have found yet on these old KZs ("murphyau") clued me into this early on. He said that you should view the risks of your old rubber brake lines the same way you view the risks of using a condom you have had sitting in your wallet for 25 years. Your life depends on it not failing.

I got mine from various ebay sellers. One set is ziegler [?], and the other set is something else. Either brand works great, and is easy to fit.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• Page: