Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Homemade Alum. Swingarm 23 Oct 2005 07:27 #3584

• Art Quast
  • Art Quast's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Im makeing a Aluminum swing arm for a KZ 1000 frame. It should be about 4 to 6 inches ove the stock lenght. I hope it works out. My freind, who owns the frame, had the neck raked by someone else, i think i mesured 34 degrees. He told me he couldnt get the alignment with the front and back tire right. Hope it was in the old stock swing arm. I should have this finished this week some time. Made Aluminum Struts too. Heres a coulple of pics. The Struts wer'nt mad when tock these pics. Art

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Homemade Alum. Swingarm 23 Oct 2005 18:38 #3690

• galaxian
  • User
Nice swingarm! I have a couple of questions for you. First, why not a box section? That would be the stiffest and lightest type. Secondly, will your construction be stiff enough? Also what type of aluminum 6061,7075 etc.?
1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

Homemade Alum. Swingarm 23 Oct 2005 18:52 #3696

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Moved the pics for you :)
Pic 2

Post edited by: steell, at: 2005/10/23 21:55
KD9JUR
Attachments:

Homemade Alum. Swingarm 23 Oct 2005 18:57 #3697

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Pic 3

KD9JUR

Homemade Alum. Swingarm 24 Oct 2005 14:30 #3894

• Art Quast
  • Art Quast's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Actually the flat bar is 6065, the pipes. The pipes are a good question, we orderd that pipe a long time ago for safety railings at the overhead cargo docks in our warehouse. I guess its alittle more of, use what ya got. Its sch. 80, i used filler rod i bought to weld up my Alum. Indy SR-440 cyl head, they dont react to well to dropped intake valves, but they weld up nice. Anyway.... after I started on this swingarm, I picked up on a link to Trac Dynamics, and i notice that rectangular tubing is what there useing. I think if i ever getting around to it again i'll go with the tubeing. At least the other person with have to buy the material, do lots of freebees being a welder. I just brought it home today, struts are on, ready to install the motor, rear wheel, front end...... art

Homemade Alum. Swingarm 18 Nov 2005 18:40 #8929

• wireguy
  • User
the reason to use the box tubing is to make up for the lack of tensile strengh of the aluminum this is why aluminum connecting rods are so beefy compared to steel rods.im not a big fan of underbracing on swingarms,but in this situation i highly reccomend it.i also recomend beefing up the axle mounting flanges by wrapping the top and bottem with a piece of aluminum strap for side to side support.my dad was a blacksmith for u.p for 30 plus ,weve fabricated quite a parts like this over the years.Hope this helps,good look

• Page: